Can access touchscreen calibration but nothing else

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Harsky, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Harsky
    OP

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    I bought a faulty 3DS console and the fault is, "turns on to a black screen". Arrived today and sure enough, turning it on comes up with a black screen (screen lights up but still black). Then I decided to press the button combination to try and get to the recovery screen so that maybe I can at least update the firmware. Still nothing.

Then an interesting thing happened. I saw a button combination that allows you to access the touchscreen combination and holy crap, it worked... but if I press the cancel or the home button, it just freezes and hangs. If I can at least reach the touchscreen calibration, is there any hope or salvaging this motherboard?

2. Amapola62

Amapola62 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 25, 2015
    France
    Have you tried booting without a SD card inserted?

3. I pwned U!

I pwned U! GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 14, 2013
    United States
    If it does not boot without an SD card, then it sounds like you bought a bricked 3DS. If the previous owner does not have a NAND backup that can be sent to you, then enjoy your paperweight.

Read through this thread that I made several years ago when I had what is likely the exact same problem that you are encountering.

The Cringe likes this.
  4. Clector

Clector GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2016
    Bangladesh
    Not here
    It seems it"s bricked, because a problem in the NAND or a hardware problem. For me it souns like it most likely be a Hardware problem.

Last edited by Clector, Jul 30, 2016
  5. Harsky
    OP

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    Tried the recovery thing again and this time, I managed to boot up to the screen to perform a system update. With nothing to lose, I went ahead with the update and it download and then I restarted.

Nope, still ended up with black screens.

6. Clector

Clector GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2016
    Bangladesh
    Not here
    Then it seems it should be a Hardware problem, what you say seems to be the one that very often are called the Black Screen of Death, I think you can send it to Nintendo to repair it but they will charge you. You can try changing the Wi-fi card as sometimes a faulty one can cause this problem.
    You should search that in Google also to see if something that some people do work with this 3DS.

7. I pwned U!

I pwned U! GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 14, 2013
    United States
    This was the same result that I had 2 years ago when I did a system update from safe mode. Did you contact the previous owner to find out whether or not there is a working NAND backup that can be sent to you?

The Cringe likes this.
  8. Harsky
    OP

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    Didn't try but for £15, I've managed to salvage the circle pad, bottom screen, and the bottom half of the case was able to smarten up my other 3DS so I guess it's a break even situation.

I pwned U! likes this.