Gaming Camelot - What happened?

campbell00

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A quick look at Wikipedia reveals....
Camelot made 3 games for the Gameboy Color, and 4 games for the GBA.

Why are we only seeing one game from them on the DS (Golden Sun)? I was hoping for sequels to the excellent Mario tennis and Mario golf RPGs.

Does anyone know if they have plans to give more support to the 3DS?

Eighteen

Trophies
Website
3DGamelayer.yolasite.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
campbell00 said:

Why are we only seeing one game from them on the DS (Golden Sun)? I was hoping for sequels to the excellent Mario tennis and Mario golf RPGs.

I'd love more games too but.... mario GOLF RPG? o.O...
what would you do in that game.. level up by hitting the ball?.. golf with epic story? xD..win from bowser in a match of golf, to save the world hahaah
rofl.gif

Rasas

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They do have new play control mario tennis and a golf game for a wii which isn't mario golf but still a fairly good golf game and even then you can play the old mario golf game for gamecube.

I suppose they don't release that many titles now but some companies do the same. (Blue Castle Games) Like most developers they are asked to make games in behalf of another company. First they lived in Sega's shadow then currently moved to Nintendo's shadow. I suppose they might develop the new Breath Of Fire for capcom but information about it is hush hush.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rasas said:
They do have new play control mario tennis
That was such a shit version.

The GBC, N64 & GBA games Mario games were great but Camelot just make the same games over and over and I never really rated Golden Sun that much, just another generic RPG.

Would be great if they got the F-Zero license and gave that a RPG spin.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
They only made Golden Sun Dark Dawn because Nintendo pressured them to do so.
I have no clue what's up with the company, but I'm sure that Nintendo's the only thing keeping it alive.

campbell00

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alphajaehoon said:
campbell00 said:

what would you do in that game.. level up by hitting the ball?.. golf with epic story? xD..win from bowser in a match of golf, to save the world hahaah
rofl.gif

Umm.... There's a mario tennis RPG and a mario golf rpg on GBC,

Essentially, you DO level up by hitting the ball more. You have stats like power, control, etc.

Seriously, look it up.

haures

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
DeMoN said:
They only made Golden Sun Dark Dawn because Nintendo pressured them to do so.
I have no clue what's up with the company, but I'm sure that Nintendo's the only thing keeping it alive.
Not true at all!

Golden sun 1 & 2 was planned to be a prequel for a bigger story...!
It's true that 7 years has passed since the last game, but they wanted to keep the needed time to do a good sequel...

Between this 7 years not only Nintendo but also a lot of fans pushed CAMELOT in working on GS3

Nepeta

:33
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
alphajaehoon said:
campbell00 said:

rofl.gif

Honestly though, I've played the GBA Mario Tennis and it's amazing. I love how it actually has a really good storyline and isn't just another simple shovelware game.

Matthew

Trophies
XP
Country
Brian10122 said:
alphajaehoon said:
campbell00 said:

rofl.gif

Honestly though, I've played the GBA Mario Tennis and it's amazing. I love how it actually has a really good storyline and isn't just another simple shovelware game.

how CAN it be a good game?

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Short answer: Camelot is a small game company... and small game companies have a hard time developing "full" titles for consoles. It's easier for a company like Camelot to churn out similar games over and over again because of how small they are, and as long as they do good at it can continue to function fairly well.

That said, I'm like one of the above posters, Camelot games were too bland and generic for my tastes. Golden Sun made a name for itself for being the first bland and generic RPG on the GBA (of which there were many many many) and because it was the first, it won over a fan base. If Golden Sun had come out even 6 months to a year later in the system it would likely have been thrown to the wayside.

I compare it to Tales of Symphonia... ToS wasn't even a good RPG by RPG standards, let alone Tales standards... but the gamecube was RPG STARVED and so people who only had a gamecube clambered to it despite the horrible plot holes and bad voice acting. *prepares to be flamed by GS and ToS fans*

Erdnaxela

Trophies
XP
Country
France
koji2009 said:
*prepares to be flamed by GS and ToS fans*
You're right, golden sun isn't good...
It's AMAZING!
rolleyes.gif

I am a big fan of turn based RPG and I actually enjoy how overpowered are spell/summon in this game.

Rasas

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Camelot made Shining Force as well and it is one of the greatest RPGs on the sega genesis I have ever played. Phantasy Star is a close second in my opinion.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alphajaehoon said:
campbell00 said:

rofl.gif

Wow, you really really should play the game before you bash it. Mario Golf for the GBC is easily in my top five games on the GBC, ranking amongst Links Awakening DX, the oracle games, and Pokemon Gold/Silver

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
Thankfully they're seeming to concentrate on their better franchise, Golden Sun. They just released Dark Dawn and I expect the 3DS sequel to be out by 2012.

Fel

GBAtemp's Adventurer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wintrale said:
Thankfully they're seeming to concentrate on their better franchise, Golden Sun. They just released Dark Dawn and I expect the 3DS sequel to be out by 2012.
But there's no confirmation that it's being planned to be on the 3DS at all, plus that would be just a mere calendar year away! They couldn't make something like the GS in such a short amount of time when GS:DD took them 7 years. If you're talking about this rumour -

"However, with the 3DS being publicly revealed at this year's E3, keep your eyes peeled for information then."

- they did show new information about GS:DD, which is the third GS. So officially and unofficially there's really no GS on the 3DS planned yet.

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
koji2009 said:
Short answer: Camelot is a small game company... and small game companies have a hard time developing "full" titles for consoles. It's easier for a company like Camelot to churn out similar games over and over again because of how small they are, and as long as they do good at it can continue to function fairly well.

That said, I'm like one of the above posters, Camelot games were too bland and generic for my tastes. Golden Sun made a name for itself for being the first bland and generic RPG on the GBA (of which there were many many many) and because it was the first, it won over a fan base. If Golden Sun had come out even 6 months to a year later in the system it would likely have been thrown to the wayside.

I compare it to Tales of Symphonia... ToS wasn't even a good RPG by RPG standards, let alone Tales standards... but the gamecube was RPG STARVED and so people who only had a gamecube clambered to it despite the horrible plot holes and bad voice acting. *prepares to be flamed by GS and ToS fans*
You obviously haven't played the Shining games developed by them.
Go play them and then we'll see if their games are generic
wink.gif

Juanmatron

Slater Color
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
They MUST do a game with Wario and Waluigi.

Gaydrian said:
Rasas said:
They do have new play control mario tennis
That was such a shit version.

The GBC, N64 & GBA games Mario games were great but Camelot just make the same games over and over and I never really rated Golden Sun that much, just another generic RPG.

Would be great if they got the F-Zero license and gave that a RPG spin.

Wut? Falcon Punch or GTFO.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: Oh @RedColoredStars yeah thats sad :sad: i feel it.