Bypass rosalina menu locks & restrictions

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is there any way to force display of rosalina menu when locked OR force the memory editor when restricted?

I don't like being told what I can and cannot do with my homebrew. Homebrew is literally meant to bypass Nintendo's restrictions, why should there still be restrictions?
i guess its time you started to learn how to code and program. its bout the only way you're going to get what ya want. Maybe in a few years you can look at getting this done once ya understand how to.

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
i guess its time you started to learn how to code and program. its bout the only way you're going to get what ya want. Maybe in a few years you can look at getting this done once ya understand how to.
If there is a way to restrict rosalina menu, there is a way to unrestrict it...

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Not posting a solution, but my (probably very unpopular) opinion with some reasons on that (including why posting a solution probably doesn't make sense)

There is a general conflict of interests here:
  • Since the Rosalina locking takes place in an online game (see previous thread by the same author), to suppress cheating attempts, this sounds like a valid concern (and will automatically gather lots and lots of “👍 ” reactions if mentioned). After all cheating online, cheating against other people is a garbage attitude and needs to be stopped somehow. Playing online affects more than the local machine which belongs solely to the owner.
  • On the other side, suppressing functions on my own computer is, in my opinion, a big no-no. I can agree with @Ondrashek06 that restrictions or DRM within homebrew/CFW software– for whatever justified, good, understandable reason(s) – somewhat counter one important purpose of homebrew/CFW: Getting rid of arbitrary restrictions.
Since a bypass is unlikely to get tolerated and could consequently have negative consequences for the user, my approach concerning software with “terms of use” that restrict me in ways I’m not willing to accept is: Staying away from such software. (And surely NOT digging through source code if provided, or even learning reverse engineering if source is not provided). Trying to fight something like this is a waste of time and results in moot discussions that will not change anything.

As much as I have deep respect for all the talented homebrew developers who invest their time into improving consoles, providing CFW, providing extensive romhacks and so on (for free!!), as much do I despise DRM and cannot approve it for whatever reason (anti-cheat is a general killer argument often used to intentionally mix local access rights with interfering the legitimate interests of other people¹).

Having that said, I want to emphasize that I'm not an online player. In fact I’ve never played a single game online in my life. Software containing DRM for whatever reason will be avoided, even if somebody assures me that the DRM will not interfere with the offline experience.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Not posting a solution, but my (probably very unpopular) opinion with some reasons on that (including why posting a solution probably doesn't make sense)

• Since the Rosalina locking takes place in an online game (see previous thread by the same author), to suppress cheating attempts, this sounds like a valid concern (and will automatically gather lots and lots of “👍 ” reactions if mentioned). After all cheating online, cheating against other people is a garbage attitude and needs to be stopped somehow. Playing online affects more than the local machine which belongs solely to the owner.
  • On the other side, suppressing functions on my own computer is, in my opinion, a big no-no. I can agree with @Ondrashek06 that restrictions or DRM within homebrew/CFW software– for whatever justified, good, understandable reason(s) – somewhat counter one important purpose of homebrew/CFW: Getting rid of arbitrary restrictions.
Since a bypass is unlikely to get tolerated and could consequently have negative consequences for the user, my approach concerning software with “terms of use” that restrict me in ways I’m not willing to accept is: Staying away from such software. (And surely NOT digging through source code if provided, or even learning reverse engineering if source is not provided). Trying to fight something like this is a waste of time and results in moot discussions that will not change anything.

As much as I have deep respect for all the talented homebrew developers who invest their time into improving consoles, providing CFW, providing extensive romhacks and so on (for free!!), as much do I despise DRM and cannot approve it for whatever reason (anti-cheat is a general killer argument often used to intentionally mix local access rights with interfering the legitimate interests of other people¹).

Having that said, I want to emphasize that I'm not an online player. In fact I’ve never played a single game online in my life. Software containing DRM for whatever reason will be avoided, even if somebody assures me that the DRM will not interfere with the offline experience.

This is actually very well said. I might just go on and uninstall CTGP-7 and just play normal MK7, because while the restrictions probably have good intentions, it contradicts with the entire point of installing homebrew.

With CTGP-7's case, the DRM is extremely invasive - no NTR CFW at all, only their proprietary solution which bans all O3DS consoles, plugin loader is disabled, no online multiplayer (even on Nintendo servers) unless you have the latest version, rosalina menu doesn't run at all in online or mario kart channel AND in offline only runs in restricted mode.

Don't get me wrong, CTGP-7 is one of, if not the best romhack on 3DS and I love the custom content, but the DRM is starting to get invasive and to irk me.

Dragon91Nippon

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I'm sure that if you do eventually figure out how to Mod Luma3DS to bypass these anti cheat features @PabloMK7 will likely update CTGP-7 to detect these incompliant Rosalina menu versions and ban the Asses and 3DSes of anyone who uses them.
Bonus I'm sure that GBAtemp's mods will also side with Pablo on this so they'll likely delete your submission page if you decide to submit it publicly.

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I'm sure that if you do eventually figure out how to Mod Luma3DS to bypass these anti cheat features @PabloMK7 will likely update CTGP-7 to detect these incompliant Rosalina menu versions and ban the Asses and 3DSes of anyone who uses them.
Bonus I'm sure that GBAtemp's mods will also side with Pablo on this so they'll likely delete your submission page if you decide to submit it publicly.
This is imposing unnecessary DRM. Homebrew was meant to relieve whatever shitty DRM Nintendo implemented. That doesn't mean others can implement their own DRM and defeat the purpose of homebrew...

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Also, first of all, this wasn't meant only for CTGP-7. It's for all games which decided that imposing restrictions for a feature designed to be global is a good idea.

Also, before I get told that "it's just to prevent online cheating by rosalina pauses", answer the following questions:

- Why does Rosalina still only run in restricted mode out of online (where it's locked)?
- Why is Rosalina also disabled outside of CTWW and in the Mario Kart Channel. If people want to, they can just play vanilla and use unrestricted Rosalina in MKC and on Nintendo servers.
- Why is BootNTR not allowed at all, instead forcing people to your proprietary solution which detects & bans all O3DS consoles, even though normal NTR-CFW works on O3DS? (Not to mention the fact that the BootNTR detection was broken for a long time and threw up false positives, resulting in unnecessary reboots)
- Why are older CTGP-7 versions banned from ALL online (Rev1 users are allowed online in vanilla) instead of just CTWW?

Dragon91Nippon

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Also, first of all, this wasn't meant only for CTGP-7. It's for all games which decided that imposing restrictions for a feature designed to be global is a good idea.

Also, before I get told that "it's just to prevent online cheating by rosalina pauses", answer the following questions:

- Why does Rosalina still only run in restricted mode out of online (where it's locked)?
- Why is Rosalina also disabled outside of CTWW and in the Mario Kart Channel. If people want to, they can just play vanilla and use unrestricted Rosalina in MKC and on Nintendo servers.
- Why is BootNTR not allowed at all, instead forcing people to your proprietary solution which detects & bans all O3DS consoles, even though normal NTR-CFW works on O3DS? (Not to mention the fact that the BootNTR detection was broken for a long time and threw up false positives, resulting in unnecessary reboots)
- Why are older CTGP-7 versions banned from ALL online (Rev1 users are allowed online in vanilla) instead of just CTWW?
The answer to all of them is, it's Pablo's choice to implement and Luma3DS's choice to Honor it. He's allowed to give whatever reason he wants, the main reason he gave was preventing cheating.

Luma3DS chose to gave this choice to developers because they wanted to, they don't really need a better reason for that but if you really want to know more you should consider making an issue on their Github.

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
The answer to all of them is, it's Pablo's choice to implement and Luma3DS's choice to Honor it. He's allowed to give whatever reason he wants, the main reason he gave was preventing cheating.

Luma3DS chose to gave this choice to developers because they wanted to, they don't really need a better reason for that but if you really want to know more you should consider making an issue on their Github.
I'm waiting for an answer to those questions. "We did it because we could, eat it up" is not an sufficient answer.

AleronIves

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is imposing unnecessary DRM. Homebrew was meant to relieve whatever shitty DRM Nintendo implemented. That doesn't mean others can implement their own DRM and defeat the purpose of homebrew...
The purpose of homebrew is to allow people to make 3DS software without being an official Nintendo developer. If you don't like the product that a particular homebrew developer has created, you have the right to not use it. You don't have the right to demand that developers change their products to suit your desires.

Reactions: CyberYoshi64

Dragon91Nippon

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I would not go that far. Anyone who bricks or destroys systems even for seemingly legitimate reasons is an asshole.
Definatelty makes them an asshole but technecally they're still free to do it, the fact that Gateway and SX stood strong for many years is a great example of that.

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Is there any way to force display of rosalina menu when locked OR force the memory editor when restricted?

I don't like being told what I can and cannot do with my homebrew. Homebrew is literally meant to bypass Nintendo's restrictions, why should there still be restrictions?
Okay, I'll tell you how to bypass the block.
1) Put your SD on your computer.
2) Delete the CTGP-7 folder
3) Open FBI, go to Titles, then CTGP-7, then click Uninstall.
4) Profit, the Rosalina menu will not block anymore.

Sorry but I have to disagree, you are probably lacking context on what happened with online mode. Someone discovered that by opening the Rosalina menu in the online Countdown gamemode, the game would completely freeze, including the timer. Knowing this, you could open the Rosalina menu, wait 5 seconds, and close it, and you would gain 5 seconds of time that other users woudn't. Then you can wait a bit and do it again. It's so easy to do that people started exploiting it. At this point, what is the purpose of having a gamemode at all if people are gonna break it completely? Since with homebrew it is possible to fix it, I went and fixed it by disabling the Rosalina menu.

Same goes for any other cheating methods, since all players playing the mod have easy access to cheating (as CFW is mandatory) then players WILL cheat. It would be extremely annoying if the mod online modes would be full of cheaters, and people would stop playing.

I told you already why Rosalina is restricted outside online mode, and why it's restricted in the Mario Kart Channel. If you want proof, here is the code.

For enabling the block:
1661597486367.png

For disabling the block:
1661597614150.png

And the function itself:
1661597645155.png

As you can see (if you know how to code), the block should be enabled and disabled properly, but there is a bug (probably in Rosalina itself) and sometimes it doesn't unblock, so please stop your conspiracy theories. ;)

Also, looks like I forgot to disable the block if you just close the game from the online modes, oops. I'll fix that in the next update:
1661597815090.png

About blocking NTR, it's the same reasoning, it allows cheating and completely breaks the purpose of having an online mode. The false positive was fixed a long time ago, and it happened because the check for running NTR would break if processes where moved around (like for example going into the internet browser), as the IDs were hardcoded. Now the processes are looked by name, so that won't happen again.

Why I am telling this to you anyway, you just look like an anarchist who doesn't want being told what to do, and you just won't care about any of this. If that's your philosophy, then sorry to tell you but I can't do anything about it. I'm not going to change something that would be bad for everyone just so you can feel comfortable not being told what to do. Just uninstall the mod and carry on playing other stuff. :)

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sorry but I have to disagree, you are probably lacking context on what happened with online mode.
Oh, I am aware of this (believe it or not: I understood this after reading it the first time) -- I just came to a different conclusion: Restrictions on the local machine with the reason "anti-cheat for online" are not justified (and no, I have no alternative ideas how to prevent online cheating -- I also don't know how to build a space elevator and will still dare to say that rockets are an ineffective, wasteful way to reach space)
The problem with online cheaters is beyond dispute: It exists and online cheating sucks.
You don't seem to care for arguments in two directions or even acknowledging their presence. Okay. Accepted.

This leaves only one conclusion for me:
Okay, I'll tell you how to bypass the block.
1) Put your SD on your computer.
2) Delete the CTGP-7 folder
3) Open FBI, go to Titles, then CTGP-7, then click Uninstall.
4) Profit, the Rosalina menu will not block anymore.
Without any cynicism: Exactly what I think.

I repeat: I have deep respect for homebrew developers and that obviously includes you! That doesn't change the fact, that I will decide against installing/running DRM-infected software (for whatever positive, understandable, justified... reasons DRM is used) on my machines.
I can do pretty good without software containing DRM (and since I stopped acquiring such I feel much better). If the majority can enjoy things with DRM (or because the DRM is actually good for the game or whatever) this is fine for me as well.

Why I am telling this to you anyway, you just look like an anarchist who doesn't want being told what to do, and you just won't care about any of this.
Taking the risk you will put me into the same category, but I hope you can at least see that there are some arguments against blocks and will not hate me for my opinions and decisions (as I accept your opinion, decisions and arguments).

Reactions: Ondrashek06

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: https://youtu.be/heNQ-22Mqnk?si=B4bTa9MKZkRNCkxU