Hacking Buying R4DS

Deleted member 133740

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
I want to buy a R4DS (for normal Nintendo DS).

I was recommended a good deal on Amazon, £10.50 + £4.50 p&p.

There seems to be so many fakes and so many problems with buying a R4DS, I just need advise on which R4DS v2 to get which is genuine.

There's a choice of 5 sellers, all around the same price.

Any ideas?

Ferrariman

Hip-Flop and cRap
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Chris4 said:
I was told that the firmware updated for R4 don't really matter, it plays nearly all new games?

How are the CycloDS and AceKard better, can I ask?
Support does matter. The list of games that dont work at the moment is quite big, and it is growing.
CycloDS has a slew of features such as real-time save, slow-motion, in-game guide, and great support.
Acekard 2 is Cheap, works very well, has a good team, and has a cool gui.

S

spectral

Chris4 said:
I was told that the firmware updated for R4 don't really matter, it plays nearly all new games?

So you're saying that if some great new game comes out and wont work and never will, it doesn't matter? Even if it does play nearly all new games(which it doesn't) the fact that some will never work should be enough to stop you buying it. Especially considering there are a wide range of carts that cost the same or less that dont have that problem. It sounds like all you want is to play games, not a load of fancy features such as slow mo and text readers,etc so your best bet is probably something cheap like the acekard 2.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Chris4 said:

CycloDS has:
Slow-Mo Feature
Real-TimeSave
In-Game Guides
Support Is Awesome For DS Games
Built-In GBA Support ( Requires Expansion Still, You Just Won't Be Needing Any Emulators Though )
Support For Homebrew Is Good

AceKard has:
Fast GUI/OS
Cool Looking Skins
Cheap Price.

If you want the Cyclo but cheaper than get the EDGE. They are similar but the EDGE just has some parts that are missing.
But AceKard is still one of the best choices IMO. Has a fast GUI too.

Deleted member 133740

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Echo said:
Chris4 said:

CycloDS has:
Slow-Mo Feature
Real-TimeSave
In-Game Guides
Support Is Awesome For DS Games
Built-In GBA Support ( Requires Expansion Still, You Just Won't Be Needing Any Emulators Though )
Support For Homebrew Is Good

AceKard has:
Fast GUI/OS
Cool Looking Skins
Cheap Price.

If you want the Cyclo but cheaper than get the EDGE. They are similar but the EDGE just has some parts that are missing.
But AceKard is still one of the best choices IMO. Has a fast GUI too.
I don't know what most of them mean, could you explain please?
Why would you want slow motion? What is Real-TimeSave? What are In-Game Guides?

And finally, where can I buy AceKard? (UK)
smile.gif

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Buying an R4 now would be an incredibly noobish thing to do. The card is dead. Support is non-existent. I think the Sept. 15th update thing is BS. More and more games are failing to run on the R4. There are so many fakes and clones of the R4 that you could never be sure you're getting a real one. And IF the Sept 15th update deal is for real, and you bought a fake, you're screwed because the clones and fakes just use a hacked version of the official R4 firmware (technically, it's a loader, but I won't go there) and it will (supposedly) be designed to KILL fakes and clones....and possibly your DS. Why even consider taking that chance?

Buy anything else besides an R4 at this point. Edge, DSTT (though I hear there are fakes of DSTT cards now too), Acekard, CycloDS, SCDS1, M3 Real....whatever......ANYTHING besides an R4.

Only an utter noob (or some kind of lunatic fanboy) would buy an R4 now. Dude, I'm tellin' you (WE THE PEOPLE of GBAtemp are telling you), pick some other card, NOT an R4.

From what I've been reading on these forums, there are really only 2 choices for a great flashcart for the DS right now; the CycloDS and the SCDS1. All the others pale in comparison to those two, but some of the cheaper carts could be for you if you're strapped for cash or don't care about all the extra features.

Personally, I went with the CycloDS (upgraded from an R4, which I bought over a year ago) and I couldn't be happier. The CycloDS is so much more robust in features than the R4 was ever capable of, and it is still actually supported.

Forget R4, concentrate on another cart instead.

No one here is trying to fool you by saying don't buy an R4, it's the honest to goodness truth. That cart is ancient history.

Deleted member 133740

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Rayder, thanks but I already understood I shouldn't buy the R4 when someone told me a few posts back, so your post was a bit unneeded
tongue.gif
but thanks anyway. I understand why I shouldn't, and I won't be getting an R4.

Raki said:
Chris4 said:
And finally, where can I buy AceKard? (UK)
smile.gif

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B...7584&sr=1-1

here if you want to buy through amazon
Thanks.

What else do I need to get on-top of that?

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Get Supercard SD One, same as CycloDs but cheaper (just doesn't have slow motion, which is useless anyway)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COua5q4CByg