Buying music

Durelle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I've been wanting to stay buying music but most songs I wanna get are people who only publish to itunes/Google Play/Amazon

I know that iTunes isn't DRM free but is Google or Amazon DRM free? I don't want to start buying music everywhere this way I can just have 1 set spot for it all.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
I enjoy buying music from Bandcamp to support my favourite artists.
Also DRM free.
I also like Bandcamp (and release my own music there, as well) because it's good for both the artist and consumer. They allow artists to release music freely, only charging a small portion of your sales if your music is sold at a cost, and allow artists to release lossless music, and pack in other files as extras if desired. I don't know why so many platforms insist on only providing lossy audio to customers, and I don't even want to get started on my rant against DRM.

Reactions: VinsCool

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an account for Spotify and Apple Music. Streaming is the future. However, Tool is the only music I may have to buy....again. Those yo-yos don’t have any streaming music.

SpongyLesbian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
I use Spotify, and if I like the record so much I try to buy it physically (CD or DVD) if possible. I like having stuff like that on shelves, I even bought some old casettes like Megadeth's Youthanasia album. I thought about buying music from bandcamp, but even I'm helping the artist directly, I don't like having it only on my computer or on a digital place.

TL;DR: Streaming it or having it physically is best for me, since I can't really obtain some of my favourite albums as CD/DVD or vinyl.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
I thought about buying music from bandcamp, but even I'm helping the artist directly, I don't like having it only on my computer or on a digital place.

Some artists offer physical copies of their music on Bandcamp, but that's usually only applicable to independent artists, I guess.

Reactions: SpongyLesbian
S

Saiyan Lusitano

So I've been wanting to stay buying music but most songs I wanna get are people who only publish to itunes/Google Play/Amazon

I know that iTunes isn't DRM free but is Google or Amazon DRM free? I don't want to start buying music everywhere this way I can just have 1 set spot for it all.
iTunes is DRM free. I've bought plenty of music from iTunes and never had any problems playing the M4A files on other devices, or media players. One thing, you should remove the purchase info from the file if you ever share it because it contains your full name and email.

My favorite digital music services to buy from are iTunes and Bandcamp, because iTunes offers the highest quality audio while it's still lossy (compressed) and Bandcamp offers in lossless and lossy (multiple choices).

I'd not recommend Amazon Music or Play Store Music because they're both in MP3 and that's one hell of a relic from the past.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, ohkay