TEMPORARY MODE ENABLED  
  1. Durelle

OP Durelle GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    So I've been wanting to stay buying music but most songs I wanna get are people who only publish to itunes/Google Play/Amazon

I know that iTunes isn't DRM free but is Google or Amazon DRM free? I don't want to start buying music everywhere this way I can just have 1 set spot for it all.

2. Song of storms

Song of storms GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Antarctica
    I use eMusic. You pay a monthly/yearly fee and they give you credits you can spend in the store.

3. Subtle Demise

United States
    Purchased songs are DRM-free on Google Play. They aren't lossless though.

4. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    Amazon music is DRM free as well.

5. Durelle

Canada
    oh, i never thought of Amazon

6. VinsCool

VinsCool Persona Secretiva Felineus

Canada
    I enjoy buying music from Bandcamp to support my favourite artists.
    Also DRM free.

7. Sophie-bear

Sophie-bear The Coolest Bear Around

United States
    I also like Bandcamp (and release my own music there, as well) because it's good for both the artist and consumer. They allow artists to release music freely, only charging a small portion of your sales if your music is sold at a cost, and allow artists to release lossless music, and pack in other files as extras if desired. I don't know why so many platforms insist on only providing lossy audio to customers, and I don't even want to get started on my rant against DRM.

VinsCool likes this.
  8. Durelle

Canada
    Well like I said I'm trying to minimize the amount of places I buy from, I think Google Play + bandcamp will be my way to go

9. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I have an account for Spotify and Apple Music. Streaming is the future. However, Tool is the only music I may have to buy....again. Those yo-yos don’t have any streaming music.

10. Issac

Issac Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
    Supervisor

Sweden
    Depending on what kind of music it is, I also recommend buying directly from the record label if that's an option.

11. Plstic

Plstic Guru Meditation Error

United States
    I only buy physically or directly from the artist e.g bandcamp.

Sophie-bear likes this.
  12. SpongyLesbian

SpongyLesbian Newbie
    Newcomer

Iceland
    I use Spotify, and if I like the record so much I try to buy it physically (CD or DVD) if possible. I like having stuff like that on shelves, I even bought some old casettes like Megadeth's Youthanasia album. I thought about buying music from bandcamp, but even I'm helping the artist directly, I don't like having it only on my computer or on a digital place.

TL;DR: Streaming it or having it physically is best for me, since I can't really obtain some of my favourite albums as CD/DVD or vinyl.

13. Sophie-bear

Sophie-bear The Coolest Bear Around

United States
    Some artists offer physical copies of their music on Bandcamp, but that's usually only applicable to independent artists, I guess.

SpongyLesbian likes this.
  14. iTunes is DRM free. I've bought plenty of music from iTunes and never had any problems playing the M4A files on other devices, or media players. One thing, you should remove the purchase info from the file if you ever share it because it contains your full name and email.

My favorite digital music services to buy from are iTunes and Bandcamp, because iTunes offers the highest quality audio while it's still lossy (compressed) and Bandcamp offers in lossless and lossy (multiple choices).

I'd not recommend Amazon Music or Play Store Music because they're both in MP3 and that's one hell of a relic from the past.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Buying, music,