Buying a used jailbroken switch (Need help, first time buyer)

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Avngl, May 17, 2019.

1. Avngl
    OP

Avngl Newbie

Newcomer
    May 17, 2019
    Malaysia
    Hey guys, I'll be buying a jailbroken switch soon. It's been used for several months and have 2 months+ left before the warranty ends. I've been searching for unpatched retail units for the past 3 weeks and i couldn't find any since there's no official Nintendo Store here and the retailers import them in batches (small quantities) before re-ordering them again.

Switch running on SX OS @ 8.0.1

1. How do I verify that the switch hasn't been online since the user had SX OS on it? How do I verify that it is not banned by Nintendo?

2. The user doesn't have any nand backup or any backups whatsoever. Is this a deal breaker? Can I still buy the switch, and do the backup myself? I'd like a clean NAND for when I would use the switch legally in the future.

3. Anything else that I should be aware of?

2. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Psycho!

May 30, 2016
    United States
    There's no such thing as a jailbroken switch really. You send payloads for cfw through your computer using a usb type c cord but it only lasts as long as you keep the switch on. Once you turn it off you have to send the payload again. So it's temporary.

ELY_M likes this.
  3. Avngl
    OP

Avngl Newbie

Newcomer
    May 17, 2019
    Malaysia
    Can the switch be already flagged to be banned in that instance? Otherwise, can i reboot the switch , and boot into a clean OFW, backthat up, and then inject a payload (SX OS) and use it as usual until I need to restore to a clean NAND to play catridge games online. Would that risk in any ban?

4. EmulateLife

May 30, 2016
    United States
    SX OS has emunand so you can use that and not get banned.

5. Avngl
    OP

Avngl Newbie

Newcomer
    May 17, 2019
    Malaysia
    Thank you. As long as the user has never been online (or by using incognito / DNS9) within the SX OS, and the console is not banned, it would be safe to assume that the console is not flagged or wouldn't be banned. I'll just have to do a backup of the clean NAND.

6. EmulateLife

May 30, 2016
    United States
    Well I would ask them if they're banned directly. You have to have a clean nand (not banned) to get a backup of it so if they got it banned you can't unban it.

ELY_M and Avngl like this.
  7. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Guru

May 6, 2006
    United States
    The nand is not clean if CFW has been run on it. You'll have to manually build a clean nand using your PC.

ELY_M likes this.
  8. ceanth

ceanth Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 26, 2005
    How do you build a clean nand using pc? Is there a guide?

9. ModderFokker619

ModderFokker619 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 2, 2015
    United States
    California

Not completely true if modchip is fitted - No computer or dongle / jig needed at this point with certain setups. Turn on on and off and still CFW or OFW depending on your setup likes.

Best setup currently is dual boot with modchip fitted.

ELY_M likes this.
  10. pLaYeR^^

pLaYeR^^ Doctor Switch

GBAtemp Patron
    pLaYeR^^ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 18, 2014
    Austria
    Austria
  11. ceanth

ceanth Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 26, 2005
  12. kit__

kit__ Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 5, 2019
    United States
    until Scires decides to do coldboot**

13. wiifii

wiifii Member

Newcomer
    Aug 15, 2007
    United States
    i will just buy the cheapest banned moddable switch if i wanna used it for homebrews

14. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    @Avngl Did you buy the Switch yet? How much was it?
    Do note that you can still find new Switches that are hackable. iPatched doesn't mean not hackable, as long as it's on 4.1.0 firmware it can be hacked (and sooner or later up to 7.1.0 can be hacked)
    I found a 4.1.0 iPatched Switch just a few days ago about 45 min away from my city. Went by serial number, according to this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ifBIsbTeTpk-bL1Ul9Z9ORPVX3BNH2pHlGW1Z0g8nvM/edit#gid=0
    Only 2 of the units there with the same first 4 digits had >4.1.0 firmware and those 2 both had a higher 5th digit, so it was a pretty safe bet. And sure enough it was 4.1.0. Hacking an iPatched console is a bit scary though, because if you go online without the DNS accidentally in sysNAND you'll get a supernag that locks you out of the web browser until you update to the latest firmware, so you can't run the exploit anymore. And of course recovering from bricks in software is impossible, so emuNAND is a requirement.
    iPatched just means no RCM exploit.

So are some jailbreaks. But yeah, jailbreaking is an iOS term. Doesn't apply here.
    This thread is 3 months old. It's one thing to bump threads but please make sure you add something of worth.

15. EmulateLife

May 30, 2016
    United States
    Why is everyone quoting my post from 3 months ago?

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted