Croatia
1617624463960419223412807475231.jpg 16176245501184152182399845275647.jpg
It's not fine, both my DS Lite and GBA SP won't boot the game

KyleTheUltimate

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just tried this out with a brand new bootleg I got from Aliexpress. The chip says it is a "hy62uf8100."

Your app does the following:

1. Detects it as a "Spansion." I did some quick research, and it says it is a Hyundai chip, but I could be wrong. Literally did 5 minutes of research.

2. Erases the bootleg

3. Writes the rom. It takes a while to write, which I imagine it is normal behavior.

4. After the write, it reboots into GBA mode, launching the game. However, after the GBA splash screen, all I get is a white screen.

Here's an image of the board if you need it. I'd be more than willing to help test this out.

[Edit] I was able to get this cart to boot Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade, but it wouldn't save. Of course, because of the way bootlegs save games, and me not knowing how to set that up properly. Still weirdly, I'm unable to get the original game back onto this cart (Wolfenstein 3D).

[Edit 2] I was also able to get Mega Man & Bass to run. Wouldn't save, of course. After patching Wolfenstein 3D to use SRAM, the cart was able to boot the game.. without being able to save. I know bootlegs save by essentially overwriting their flash memory, but I don't know how to set that up just yet.

Attachments

• IMG_20210407_164256897.jpg
    IMG_20210407_164256897.jpg
    1,007.1 KB · Views: 205
Last edited by KyleTheUltimate,
Reactions: firke_the_one

Nix_Lon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Most bootleg cartridges uses 128kb / 1024Kb SRAM for saving (MOTHER 3 bootleg carts uses 64kb / 512Kb FLASH though), if the bootleg cartridge didn't have the battery soldered, the ROM in the bootleg cart is modified to save in the ROM itself instead.

Flashing unmodified or GBATA SRAM patched ROMs in that bootleg cart requires to solder a battery on to make saves work properly.

VROdin

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I think about rom patching, but don't know how i can do this on runtime while rom writing. Maybe it'll be app for desktop in future. Now i try support many cartridge for reflashing. Code that I can borrow from other projects is almost over, but it does not help to flash a lot of cartridges that my testers have. I have plans for this project ...

Reactions: KyleTheUltimate

firke_the_one

*insert custom title*
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
There either seems to be a bug in the code or it takes a rather long time to write roms bigger than 16MB (I didn't try anything larger except 30 and 32MB roms), I just checked out the datasheet for mx29gl128ehmc-90g and it's 256MB so storage isn't a problem

VROdin

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
There either seems to be a bug in the code or it takes a rather long time to write roms bigger than 16MB (I didn't try anything larger except 30 and 32MB roms), I just checked out the datasheet for mx29gl128ehmc-90g and it's 256MB so storage isn't a problem
Do you mean Mbyte or Mbit? Mx29gl128 has 128mbit it is 16Mbyte.

OmarElsayed

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In the meantime, while waiting for a program to patch the ROMs to make them be able to save on certain flashcarts, could we read the ROMs from repros and upload those so others could flash them? Would it work? Would that make them save?

VROdin

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
In the meantime, while waiting for a program to patch the ROMs to make them be able to save on certain flashcarts, could we read the ROMs from repros and upload those so others could flash them? Would it work? Would that make them save?
Of course.

VROdin

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
On next step try to enter to CFI mode, for chip size detect and check buffer writing possibility and check size of this buffer.

JaNDeRPeiCH

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Great software,a question regarding from this software:

Instead reprogramming a gba bootleg,can we do the same features from Slot 1? I have a bunch of original r4 so it will be nice to do some burning the chip and changin their firmware for better capabilities.

Clector

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
I tried with a 22FC with a "Sharp" chip, some games worked to write but others didn't, getting stuck at 50.
Also I tried a 227E with a "Fujitsu" chip but it gets stuck at "Writing 0", it happens with all games, even when trying to rewrite the original one it instead gets stuck at "ERACE 25", any ideas why?
Had two other bootlegs, but they seem to be a FLASH ones that the program doesn't seem to support.
Also is it possible to patch an SRAM game to EEPROM?

Last edited by Clector,
Reactions: BlazeMasterBM

VROdin

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I tried with a 22FC with a "Sharp" chip, some games worked to write but others didn't, getting stuck at 50.
Also I tried a 227E with a "Fujitsu" chip but it gets stuck at "Writing 0", it happens with all games, even when trying to rewrite the original one it instead gets stuck at "ERACE 25", any ideas why?
Had two other bootlegs, but they seem to be a FLASH ones that the program doesn't seem to support.
Also is it possible to patch an SRAM game to EEPROM?
What about "Erace 25" I will fix it on feature. Take photo of 227E board. I think it's problem with sector erasing...

OmarElsayed

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Anyone know if there is a gba ROM patcher that can convert saves to different types such as flash and FRAM (NOT GBATA, that one can only convert to SRAM)?

JaNDeRPeiCH

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
NTRboot flashes firmware to flash carts, but the original R4 is not supported.

https://github.com/jason0597/ntrboot_flasher_nds
I have two original r4 and 1 acekard 2i.Thanks to point the software,but it sucks doesnt support the original r4...it would be great to flash it to give another opportunity of this oldie cart,also with flashing getting support for 32gb microsd...

Last edited by JaNDeRPeiCH,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Blah. 3 of my NSO + Expansion Pass family group members are leaving. Found one replacement so far but still need to fill two empty slots. I have 9 days or i eat the extra cost myself. But with a full group $11 for a year is a good deal. imo
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    new ghostbusters was decent, not as good as the previous one
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @The Real Jdbye,
    theres a new ghostbusters?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I liked the cameo the original cast did
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, I heard a member of the original cast died
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Rest of the plot was just average
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Egon was the best character
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My favorite was the Key master in the first one, "Ok, who brought the dog?" - Rick Moranis
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Was way better than that ghostbusters: frozen in women power one
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It was kind of a passing the torch idea which I didn't hate finally
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The old Ghostbuster video game was pretty good also, newer one is just ok.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gotta be more specific nes one was garbage 360 was decent
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea 360/ps3 one I meant, I don't remember the Nes one tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I never played that one.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, me neither
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @K3Nv2 gotta be more specific, there were 2 on the NES and one of them was pretty decent
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well it's probably the one youtube link I posted
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    deleted my newgrounds account
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc of shame
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You have shame?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, made a new one
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: