buildng new computer

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by juggernaut911, Nov 20, 2008.

Nov 20, 2008

buildng new computer by juggernaut911 at 5:57 AM (2,264 Views / 0 Likes) 31 replies

1. juggernaut911
    OP

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States

2. Licardo7

Member Licardo7 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'm not sure if 600W is enough to power that bad boy. Check what the minimum of each thing is.

3. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    for the Q6600 it will work better for multitasking, the 45nm wolfdale cpu's will do better in games for a fraction of the price and they are very stable oc's, can get to 4ghz

the hard drive for $10 more you can get 500GB
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136073

everything else looks good, the PSU looks ok, not a fan of rosewill PSU's myself

4. Javacat

Member Javacat GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I've got a Q6600 (the weird low power version) and that fan. They are both great [​IMG]

Only comments I've got are that I'd go with 500GB drives and would replace that monitor.

5. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    Why get a 9800gtx+ if you only have a 15" monitor?

6. nicman000

Newcomer nicman000 Advanced Member

Australia
    The wolfdale CPUs he mentioned are the E8500 or the E8600 which would be better for gaming.
    I would suggest the E8500 as it can be easily over clocked to match the E8600 and beyond.

7. juggernaut911
    OP

United States
    because, next time i get enough money, I'll get a new mouse and a new monitor (22")

replaced processor for an E8500
    I'll use a 250GB as my main until I can get a 500, then reinstall vista (64bit) and use 500 as main and 250 as slave. though, if my budget is big enough (i doubt it), then I will get both.

Lucario: I'm pretty sure I'll be fine.

8. juggernaut911
    OP

United States
  9. DrYHeLL

Member DrYHeLL GBAtemp Regular

Antarctica
    well...
    power supply wise....
    I personally wouldn't go with Rosewell. Not because I have had bad experiences but because MANY others have
    I have an Antec Earthwatts 650w and it does the job. It is very cool and efficient. Id reccomend that but on Newegg it is a solid $100 and it seems your budgeted. If you'd like I could look more into it for you....

EDIT: Check this one out. Corsair=trusted brand

10. juggernaut911
    OP

United States
    I will stick with the rosewell. good reviews.

what am I missing/ what is essnetial?

11. uzum4ki

Newcomer uzum4ki Newbie

United States
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R - Link
    Processor: Intel Core 2 E8400 3.0GHz - Link
    System Memory: G.Skill F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ - Link
    Video Card: EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 896MB - Link / Review
    Hard Drive: Samsung HD502lJ 500GB - Link
    DVD Drive: LG GH20NS15 - Link
    CPU Cooler: Xigmatek HDT-S1283 - Link / Review
    Case: Cooler Master RC-690 - Link / Review
    Power Supply: Corsair CMPSU-650TX - Link / Review

Motherboard: You don't need SLI, almost every game sees minimal benefit and nVidia chip-sets aren't known for their stability. Go with an Intel chip-set, P45 is the current mid-high end, and I have a personal preference for Gigabyte due to how well they've overclocked for me (1.6GHz Core 2 running at 3.2GHz!). ASUS and others have similar boards at around the same price point so pick whatever you want.
    Processor: Save your $25 and get the very slightly slower E8400, it will overclock just as well as the E8500 and even at stock speed is fast as hell.
    System Memory: Keep what you've picked, I've got this same kit in my machine and it runs great.
    Video Card: The 9800GTX+ is based on older tech and the GTX 260 Core 216 (newer, faster version of the GTX 260) will soundly beat it in everything. If you wanted to try out ATI's side of things, grab the HD4870, it's about the same (slightly faster) as the GTX 260 performance wise and it's got better drivers for Vista.
    Hard Drive: I've got two of an earlier generation of the Samsung 500GB I've listed and they're faster than the Seagate drives while being much quieter. Honestly, though, go with whatever brand you want just make sure you get at least 500GB, you'll find yourself running out of space on that 250GB fairly quickly.
    DVD Drive: Nothing wrong with the drive you listed and most brands are of similar quality so just go with whatever is cheapest.
    CPU Cooler: The Arctic Freezer 7 you listed is great at that price, but the Xigmatek will cool much better while being quieter and only $5 more.
    Case: The Centurion you listed is decent but I'd recommend a step up to the RC-690, it's got much more space inside with a nice tool-less design. Used this case in several builds and loved working with it.
    Power Supply: People skimp on the power supply quality without realizing a very important point. It is what is in charge of powering everything in your system and if it dies and / or starts give bad voltages it can take everything out with it. The Corsair DrYHeLL recommended is a fantastic supply and is of a ridiculously higher quality than the Rosewill. As I said this is the most important part of your system not to skimp on.

Very very bad idea.

12. juggernaut911
    OP

United States
    lol, ok. I'll look at your extremely useful post tonight and compare. I see some obvious changes to my list. Thanks for the awesome post dude

EDIT:
    will that RAM work with the mobo you posted?

13. alltooamorous

Newcomer alltooamorous Advanced Member

United States
  14. uzum4ki

Newcomer uzum4ki Newbie

United States
    That particular supply is definitely better than the Rosewill but the Corsair would be a much better supply in the long run. It's got a decent amount of voltage fluctuation (a bad thing) according to this review.

15. juggernaut911
    OP

United States
    awesome, thnaks!!

check out my updated list:
    http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWi...tNumber=7922885

16. juggernaut911
    OP

United States
    oh right, too scrape up the cash, i need to sell my current rig. what price would you sell this for to a computer noob/normal user?

I have:
    E4500
    8800GT 512MB
    2GB Ram
    Vista Ultimate 32Bit
    10/100/1000 internetz
    Motherboard
    DVD Burner
    250GB HD
    40GB HD
    20GB HD
    Case

I'm thinking on about $600. keep in mind, this is for a computer noob who won't know what to value it at

17. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    Don't tell him its an e4500. Tell him the clock speed only like "Core 2 Duo at 2.8ghz". Thats what sells pc noobs these days.

18. juggernaut911
    OP

United States
    should I just pre OC it to 2.8 to make it true because if the noob finds out, the noob will be pissed off and not know how to OC

I need to find a stable clock for my proc. it has great stepping

19. Myke

Member Myke so tasty!

United States
    if you OC and the noob messes around with it, he may fry his computer. Just a thought.

20. juggernaut911
    OP

United States
    well, lets drop the OC. My proc won't stay stable. half hour of screwing with it got me no where. the buyer can OC it if they want.