Building Atmosphère on Windows using MSYS2

Sometimes you need to build the binaries for Atmosphère, or you want to change something on the source code, for building your starting point should be: https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/blob/master/docs/building.md
On that document you can read:
Building Atmosphère is a very straightforward process that relies almost exclusively on tools provided by the devkitPro organization.​
Dependencies:
  • devkitA64
  • devkitARM
  • Python 2 (Python 3 may work as well, but this is not guaranteed)
  • LZ4
  • PyCryptodome (optional)
  • Hactool
Setup a DevKitPro environment: (https://devkitpro.org/wiki/Getting_Started)
Install the following packages via (dkp-)pacman:​
  • switch-dev
  • switch-glm
  • switch-libjpeg-turbo
  • devkitARM
  • devkitarm-rules
  • hactool
Install the following library via python's package manager pip, required by exosphere:​
  • lz4
Finally, clone the Atmosphère repository and run make under its root directory.​

That instructions are a little plain for we the noobs.

First you need Install a MSYS environment:
The latest instructions for install the MSYS environment are on https://gbatemp.net/threads/install-msys-environment.652234/ if you don't have one working, use them.

After you have the MSYS environment working you need to install DevKitPro
For that you can follow the instructions on the tutorial https://gbatemp.net/threads/setup-a-devkitpro-environment-on-windows.652238/

Now you can install DevKitPro packages:
Bash:
pacman -S --noconfirm switch-dev devkitA64 dkp-toolchain-vars libnx switch-tools switch-mesa switch-libdrm_nouveau switch-sdl2

And Atmosphère prerequisites
Bash:
Pacman -Sy --noconfirm devkitA64 devkitARM devkitarm-rules hactool mingw-w64-x86_64-python mingw-w64-x86_64-python-lz4 mingw-w64-x86_64-python-pycryptodome switch-dev switch-glm switch-libjpeg-turbo mingw-w64-x86_64-python-pip

For me I had to add zip package because even if wasn't explicit indicated on the build page, the code needs it.

Additional you need the packages git make lz4 for all to work, use the command:

Bash:
Pacman -Sy --noconfirm zip git make lz4

The package hactool need you to copy your own prod.keys file on $HOME/.switch folder. (c:\msys64\home\USERNAME\.switch if you use the default installation folder)

LibNX Dependency
Atmosphère depends heavily on LibNX, generally when a major version of firmware is released or great changes on the code are made, changes to LibNX are also made.
The Atmosphère team works on their own repo of LibNX (https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/libnx) and forward Pull Request to official SwitchBrew LibNX repo (https://github.com/switchbrew/libnx).

So if there are changes on LibNX you need to build it and install on your setup.
If you haven't done already, setup the environment variables

Bash:
export DEVKITPRO=/opt/devkitpro
export DEVKITARM=${DEVKITPRO}/devkitARM
export DEVKITPPC=${DEVKITPRO}/devkitPPC
export PATH=${DEVKITPRO}/tools/bin:$PATH
Then go to the Atmosphere-NX/LibNX repo and look what is the new branch for the current firmware, by example, for Firmware 16.0.0 the branch name is "1600_Support"

1677718224337.png

Then go to your MSYS MinGW64 window and clone the Atmosphere-NX/LibNX repo

Bash:
cd ~
git clone --recursive https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/libnx.git
cd libnx

And checkout the needed branch:

Bash:
git checkout 1600_support

Then build and install the new LibNX libraries

Bash:
make install -j$(nproc)

Now you can build Atmosphère with latest LibNX code; remember if you update the pacman LibNX package the changes get reversed and you need to build LibNX again.

Now is time to build the binaries
Clone the repository:
Bash:
cd ~
git clone --recursive https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere

Go to new created Atmosphère folder
Bash:
cd Atmosphere

Never forget to create the environment variables for DevKitPro
Bash:
export DEVKITARM=/opt/devkitpro/devkitARM
export DEVKITPPC=/opt/devkitpro/devkitPPC

And now you are ready to start the building process:
Bash:
make -j$(nproc)

I do use the "-j$(nproc)" parameter to "bleed" all the available CPU to run the compiler, without that the whole process could take up to 1 hour.

I want to thank a lot to @binkinator and @godreborn for all the help and inspiration to make this guide, and want to ask you for help improving this guide.

Also special thanks to @godreborn for been a support of the users replies and suggestions to the OP.

Remember, as you are getting a new set of binaries, you need new set of sigpatches if you use it. So the great tool from @mrdude comes in hand, the latest release can be downloaded from: https://github.com/mrdude2478/IPS_Patch_Creator/releases/; you use the program to generate a new set of patches for your recently build package3 file.

Latest IPS Patch Creator:
Sigpatch-IPS-Creator_1.5.7_Yandex.png

-Edited: add sigpatches step and clean up a little-
-Edit 2, add LibNX build-

Attachments

• 1695782853186.png
    1695782853186.png
    62.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 1695782902542.png
    1695782902542.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited by impeeza,

leathan7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sometimes you need to build the binaries for Atmosphère, or you want to change something on the source code, for building your starting point should be: https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/blob/master/docs/building.md
On that document you can read:
Building Atmosphère is a very straightforward process that relies almost exclusively on tools provided by the devkitPro organization.​
Dependencies:
  • devkitA64
  • devkitARM
  • Python 2 (Python 3 may work as well, but this is not guaranteed)
  • LZ4
  • PyCryptodome (optional)
  • Hactool
Setup a DevKitPro environment: (https://devkitpro.org/wiki/Getting_Started)
Install the following packages via (dkp-)pacman:​
  • switch-dev
  • switch-glm
  • switch-libjpeg-turbo
  • devkitARM
  • devkitarm-rules
  • hactool
Install the following library via python's package manager pip, required by exosphere:​
  • lz4
Finally, clone the Atmosphère repository and run make under its root directory.​

That instructions are a little plain for we the noobs.
In my case, I had to read several documents in order to
get a working DevKitPro environment.
First you need
Download the latest version from: https://github.com/msys2/msys2-installer/releases

Install the version corresponding to your Operating System (64 or 32 bits).

Accept the defaults in installation program of MSYS2 once you finish the installation you will have shortcuts for MSYS2, MinGW32 and MinGW64. MSYS2 is used to compiling POSIX binaries for Linux from Windows.

MinGW32 & MinGW64 compile Native Windows binaries using a linux toolchain (gcc, bash, etc.)

Launch MSYS2 (MinGW64): shell:
View attachment 396079 View attachment 396080

And on it execute the command: pacman -Syuu several times until you get the message: "there is nothing to do". Sometimes you will need to restart the environment.

Then install DevKitPro
First at all you need to edit the pacman.conf file located on c:\msys64\etc\ (default installation folder)
And add the next lines at end of it:

Code:
[dkp-libs]
Server = https://pkg.devkitpro.org/packages

[dkp-windows]
Server = https://pkg.devkitpro.org/packages/windows/$arch/

Then you need to import the keys of the repositories, so execute the next command:
Bash:
pacman-key --recv BC26F752D25B92CE272E0F44F7FD5492264BB9D0 --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com

and sign locally the key:
Bash:
pacman-key --lsign BC26F752D25B92CE272E0F44F7FD5492264BB9D0

Verify the key is working well:
Bash:
pacman-key -l BC26F752D25B92CE272E0F44F7FD5492264BB9D0

You should get a response just like:

Bash:
pub  rsa4096 2018-02-28 [SC]
      BC26F752D25B92CE272E0F44F7FD5492264BB9D0
uid          [  full  ] Dave Murphy (WinterMute) <[email protected]>
sub  rsa4096 2018-02-28 [E]

After that you will install the DevKitPro Keyring
Bash:
pacman -U https://downloads.devkitpro.org/devkitpro-keyring.pkg.tar.xz

Now verify MSYS2 database:
Bash:
pacman -Sy
pacman -Syu

You need to install DevKitPro packages:
Bash:
pacman -S --noconfirm switch-dev devkitA64 dkp-toolchain-vars libnx switch-tools switch-mesa switch-libdrm_nouveau switch-sdl2

After you have a working environment you need to install the Atmosphère prerequisites
Bash:
Pacman -Sy --noconfirm devkitA64 devkitARM devkitarm-rules hactool mingw-w64-x86_64-python mingw-w64-x86_64-python-lz4 mingw-w64-x86_64-python-pycryptodome switch-dev switch-glm switch-libjpeg-turbo mingw-w64-x86_64-python-pip

For me I had to add zip package because even if wasn't explicit indicated on the build page, the code needs it.

Additional you need the packages git make lz4 for all to work, use the command:

Bash:
Pacman -Sy --noconfirm zip git make lz4

The package hactool need you to copy your own prod.keys file on $HOME/.switch folder. (c:\msys64\home\USERNAME\.switch if you use the default installation folder)

LibNX Dependency
Atmosphère depends heavily on LibNX, generally when a major version of firmware is released or great changes on the code are made, changes to LibNX are also made.
The Atmosphère team works on their own repo of LibNX (https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/libnx) and forward Pull Request to official SwitchBrew LibNX repo (https://github.com/switchbrew/libnx).

So if there are changes on LibNX you need to build it and install on your setup.
If you haven't done already, setup the environment variables

Bash:
Then go to the Atmosphere-NX/LibNX repo and look what is the new branch for the current firmware, by example, for Firmware 16.0.0 the branch name is "1600_Support"

View attachment 356548
Then go to your MSYS MinGW64 window and clone the Atmosphere-NX/LibNX repo

Bash:
cd ~
git clone --recursive https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/libnx.git
cd libnx

And checkout the needed branch:

Bash:
git checkout 1600_support

Then build and install the new LibNX libraries

Bash:
make install -j$(nproc)

Now you can build Atmosphère with latest LibNX code; remember if you update the pacman LibNX package the changes get reversed and you need to build LibNX again.

Now is time to build the binaries
Clone the repository:
Bash:
cd ~

Go to new created Atmosphère folder
Bash:
cd Atmosphere

Never forget to create the environment variables for DevKitPro
Bash:
export DEVKITARM=/opt/devkitpro/devkitARM
export DEVKITPPC=/opt/devkitpro/devkitPPC

And now you are ready to start the building process:
Bash:
make -j$(nproc)

I do use the "-j$(nproc)" parameter to "bleed" all the available CPU to run the compiler, without that the whole process could take up to 1 hour.

I want to thank a lot to @binkinator and @godreborn for all the help and inspiration to make this guide, and want to ask you for help improving this guide.

Also special thanks to @godreborn for been a support of the users replies and suggestions to the OP.

Remember, as you are getting a new set of binaries, you need new set of sigpatches if you use it. So the great tool from @mrdude comes in hand, the latest release can be downloaded from: https://github.com/mrdude2478/IPS_Patch_Creator/releases/; you use the program to generate a new set of patches for your recently build package3 file.

-Edited: add sigpatches step and clean up a little-
-Edit 2, add LibNX build-
Hey thanks, great tutorial!!! My only input is maybe add a few more times that everything should be done in the Msys or whatever window lol. I only realized I should stop using WSL later on in the comments lol. Thanks again tho!

And whoever said WSL is ubuntu -> I use pure debian, but you can use more.

Last edited by leathan7,

impeeza

¡Kabito!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Hey thanks, great tutorial!!! My only input is maybe add a few more times that everything should be done in the Msys or whatever window lol. I only realized I should stop using WSL later on in the comments lol. Thanks again tho!

Cool, will try to improve but, I think even the title state:

1698617509700.png

and there is a section explaining which environment of the posible MSYS environmets to use.

But, let me re read all the tutorial and try to be mor explicit.

Thanks for the input.

leathan7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I re-read the tutorial many times and realized I was being dumb when I saw the comments. I even was trying on MSYS2 rather than MinGW64 MSYS2. Your tutorial is more great than my advice that is for sure <3

Cheers.

Thanks for the input.

Yw and TY!!@#

• Love
Reactions: impeeza

impeeza

¡Kabito!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Yeah I re-read the tutorial many times and realized I was being dumb when I saw the comments. I even was trying on MSYS2 rather than MinGW64 MSYS2. Your tutorial is more great than my advice that is for sure <3

Cheers.
Don't worry, and let me tell you, you are not the only person talking about the environment, so I will try to improve the tutorial, the English is no my native language so I am sometime raw on the expressions.

Thanks for your feedback.

leathan7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: deleted, I was using a different version or something.

mysy2-base-x86_64-20231026.sfx.exe instead of msys2-x86_64-20231026.exe

Last edited by leathan7,
  • Wow

fepine7414

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium

WSL is totally fine to use for building atmosphere. set up devkitpro according to linux instructions, install the dependencies as specified by atmosphere build documentations, and git clone --recursive --> cd Atmosphere --> make as usual.

The only thing is that if you're using WSL2, you want to make sure you switch to your linux filesystem (cd ~ or whatever you prefer) before doing the git clone, and build there. Because the WSL drivers for handling NTFS is horribly slow and your git clone + build times will be easily 5-6 times slower than they should be, if you're cloning to your windows filesystem and building there.

Python3 does work just fine btw, so it doesnt matter if your wsl distro doesnt have python2

Best is to set up arch linux in wsl so you have native pacman + access to AUR, really useful for making building things from github easy.

Heck it probably wouldnt be difficult at all to write a pkgbuild that pulls all the required packages and builds atmosphere for you in just one command.

• Love

impeeza

¡Kabito!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
WSL is totally fine to use for building atmosphere. set up devkitpro according to linux instructions, install the dependencies as specified by atmosphere build documentations, and git clone --recursive --> cd Atmosphere --> make as usual.

The only thing is that if you're using WSL2, you want to make sure you switch to your linux filesystem (cd ~ or whatever you prefer) before doing the git clone, and build there. Because the WSL drivers for handling NTFS is horribly slow and your git clone + build times will be easily 5-6 times slower than they should be, if you're cloning to your windows filesystem and building there.

Python3 does work just fine btw, so it doesnt matter if your wsl distro doesnt have python2
I do not use WSL(2) and that's why I made this Tutorial for those who are unable(unwilling) to use Linux/WSL and only have Windows, MSYS is the best environment because is self contained and have no conflicts with any other program installed on your system.

Reactions: Muxi

leathan7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do not use WSL(2) and that's why I made this Tutorial for those who are unable(unwilling) to use Linux/WSL and only have Windows, MSYS is the best environment because is self contained and have no conflicts with any other program installed on your system.

Best is to set up arch linux in wsl so you have native pacman + access to AUR, really useful for making building things from github easy.

Heck it probably wouldnt be difficult at all to write a pkgbuild that pulls all the required packages and builds atmosphere for you in just one command.

Honestly I got it all done in pure debian via WSL but Arch would have been worth the wait (download/install) to use it.

I did go back on my other machine and use MYSY2 and it really is a super super super super super super super cool tool.

P.S. @impeeza not sure I could have done it without you <3

Muxi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm still with the haze error...

Code:
make[4]: *** No rule to make target '/home/josete2k/atmosphere/troposphere/haze/romfs/shaders/console_fsh.dksh', needed by '/home/josete2k/atmosphere/troposphere/haze/haze.nro'.  Stop.
make[4]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
built ... haze.nacp
make[3]: *** [Makefile:182: build] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/josete2k/atmosphere/troposphere/haze'
make[2]: *** [Makefile:10: haze] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/josete2k/atmosphere/troposphere'
make[1]: *** [/home/josete2k/atmosphere/atmosphere.mk:136: troposphere] Error 2

But if I try with make again it compiles and finish... I assume that the haze nro should not be working...
Have you been able to find the cause of the problem? Apparently we both have the same problem and I can't figure out what it is.

Edit:
After I compiled Atmosphere again, using only "make", new, previously unknown error messages appear at the end. I do not understand this......
switchbrew/libnx is up to date (was last updated 5 days ago) and I compiled ams according to instructions.
Code:
compilation terminated.
make[5]: *** [/opt/devkitpro/devkitA64/base_rules:16: dk_renderer.o] Error 1
make[4]: *** [Makefile:125: lib/libnanovg.a] Error 2
make[4]: Leaving directory '/home/ML/Atmosphere/troposphere/daybreak/nanovg'
make[3]: *** [Makefile:99: nanovg] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/ML/Atmosphere/troposphere/daybreak'
make[2]: *** [Makefile:10: daybreak] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/ML/Atmosphere/troposphere'
make[1]: *** [/home/ML/Atmosphere/atmosphere.mk:136: troposphere] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/ML/Atmosphere'
make: *** [Makefile:39: nx_release] Error 2

Last edited by Muxi,

impeeza

¡Kabito!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Have you been able to find the cause of the problem? Apparently we both have the same problem and I can't figure out what it is.

Edit:
After I compiled Atmosphere again, using only "make", new, previously unknown error messages appear at the end. I do not understand this......
switchbrew/libnx is up to date (was last updated 5 days ago) and I compiled ams according to instructions.
Code:
compilation terminated.
Normally has been outdated LIBNX, if you build and install latest repo normally the problem is over.

Muxi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Normally has been outdated LIBNX, if you build and install latest repo normally the problem is over.
How is it done with the latest repo and where do I find it? Until now, I always had to install the latest branch. Could you please tell me the corresponding command lines? Thanks in advance for your effort.

Muxi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Today the latest LIBNX library are on the repo https://github.com/switchbrew/libnx/ on the main branch
But that's exactly what I did. Still it does not work.....

Here are my steps:

Code:

cd ~
git clone --recursive https://github.com/switchbrew/libnx.git
cd libnx

make all

make install

cd ~

cd Atmosphere

make -j$(nproc)

Edit:
I'll try again and take the command "make install -j$(nproc)" under point 3 & 4 of my list to see if this makes a difference.

Edit2:
Here in the attachment the result. It comes again and again among other things to this error message, although I am of the opinion to have done everything correctly.

Attachments

• compiling atmosphere.txt
    61 KB · Views: 18
Last edited by Muxi,
  • Sad

josete2k

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain

Edit:
Code:
compilation terminated.
Just update with pacman

pacman - Syu

And atmos compilation is all ok

• Love

Muxi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just update with pacman

pacman - Syu

This is actually always the first thing I do when I start Msys2 Ming64.
Post automatically merged:

I don't know what else to do. I will now do a complete reinstall of Msys2.

Last edited by Muxi,

impeeza

¡Kabito!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
But that's exactly what I did. Still it does not work.....

Here are my steps:

Code:

cd ~
git clone --recursive https://github.com/switchbrew/libnx.git
cd libnx

make all

make install

cd ~

cd Atmosphere

make -j$(nproc)

Edit:
I'll try again and take the command "make install -j$(nproc)" under point 3 & 4 of my list to see if this makes a difference.

Edit2:
Here in the attachment the result. It comes again and again among other things to this error message, although I am of the opinion to have done everything correctly.
let me try again in a while an let you to know the result.
Post automatically merged:

Just update with pacman

pacman - Syu

you are right, is the main and latest release too.

Muxi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
After I reinstalled everything, the compile went through without a hitch. No idea what caused the original error. If I get problems like this again that are NOT due to an incorrect libnx installation, I will simply reinstall again following the excellent instructions from the title post.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
After I reinstalled everything, the compile went through without a hitch. No idea what caused the original error. If I get problems like this again that are NOT due to an incorrect libnx installation, I will simply reinstall again following the excellent instructions from the title post.
well, the s*** happens. Glad you have a working environment now :D

Reactions: josete2k and Muxi

leathan7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

For me MSYS2 was conflicting with my WSL setup and when I used another machine it just worked. Whereas on my original machine I opted for WSL instead of finding the conflicts or reinstalling stuff.

Maybe if you use WSL you had similar issues like mine was using python3 I think and I think I got that stratosphere error you posted. Anyway sorry if this is unhelpful and glad its all working now :D

• Wow
Reactions: Muxi and impeeza

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto