Hacking Build your own dongle (Research and development thread)

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Who said we needed python? I can write one in C thats a few K at most.

Also, the device I linked already manages to fit the ehci driver just fine (it's intended use is as a usb host)
Would be cool to skip python, that thing's ungainly at the best of times.

And at other times...

Anyway this gadget looks good too if you can get it working. Looks like small USB C male to A male adapters do exist, but they're a lot harder to find than cables.

Reactions: KiiWii

Wierd_w

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Much digging.

Found something cool.

https://www.acmesystems.it/arietta

Yes, I think I will order one. Much more expensive than a zsun, but very easy to work on. At the far end of the IO strip, there is a +5v, a USB port's D+ and D-, and a GND, all in reasonable enough spacing to accomodate a USB-C header block.

https://www.acmesystems.it/arietta_power_supply

Note that this can be used to supply power to the SoC.

Last edited by Wierd_w,

softwareengineer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very cool project, and I'm with retrOid, better to C it! Since the constraints are small, should keep the code small and minimal too.

I myself am trying to figure out not a dongle solution, but an even smaller solution one that can fit inside the switch and be soldered inside of it. That automatically upon boot it would short the pin and push the exploit. A technically not untethered coldboot, but it would mimick the feeling of being untethered.

Problem is, the space is very limited inside the switch so I not only need to find a device capable of exploiting it via usb, but also that is small enough to be soldered inside. We could 1 up TX if we have a permanent soldered version (that they are lacking despite promising), that also will use a free and open source custom firmware (probably atmosphere) instead of 'proprietary' TX modded firmware.

I think maybe might require designing custom pcb and chosen components fit for the task, and in true modchip fashion provide the diagrams and instructions of where to solder the wires to :)

Wierd_w

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very cool project, and I'm with retrOid, better to C it! Since the constraints are small, should keep the code small and minimal too.

I myself am trying to figure out not a dongle solution, but an even smaller solution one that can fit inside the switch and be soldered inside of it. That automatically upon boot it would short the pin and push the exploit. A technically not untethered coldboot, but it would mimick the feeling of being untethered.

Problem is, the space is very limited inside the switch so I not only need to find a device capable of exploiting it via usb, but also that is small enough to be soldered inside. We could 1 up TX if we have a permanent soldered version (that they are lacking despite promising), that also will use a free and open source custom firmware (probably atmosphere) instead of 'proprietary' TX modded firmware.

I think maybe might require designing custom pcb and chosen components fit for the task, and in true modchip fashion provide the diagrams and instructions of where to solder the wires to :)

You might consider a vocore 2.
http://vocore.io/v2.html

It appears to be about the size of a quarter, is flat, and has a USB interface.

D

Deleted User

I'm sure this is obvious but why not just use a teensy and get a case modeled and printed?

Wierd_w

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure this is obvious but why not just use a teensy and get a case modeled and printed?

The idea is to find an inexpensive embedded linux device that has USB2.0 host capability, that is powered by that same USB port. Something that comes with a fancy shell, and just needs software flashing.

Something that can be easybuttoned.

The "3g/4g router 150m" cited earlier would do great with a compact C implementation of FG injector.

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

Keep us posted, OP. It would be cool to keep up the rivalry between the Atmosphere community and the evil corporate masterminds at Xicuter. Just a friendly competition:D

TheSynthax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The Zsun would work if it can fit. Also, it would be needlessly complex to use a chip to physically short the pins, AutoRCM would be a simpler approach.

nic_rf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can use a good old PIC, like the PIC24F(5-10$/chip) or some PIC18 have USB interface. You can use the free C compiler if you if you are afraid of asm.

I.E. PIC24FJ128GB202 or PIC18F4450 (less $)

Ready Board : mikroe(dot)com startusb-pic

Add a switch to use has a FG module or Update from pc.

Last edited by nic_rf,

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
would be nice if there is USB access inside of the right joycon so that everything could be mounted in the R joycon

garyopa

Admin @ MaxConsole
Trophies
Website
www.O-P-A.biz
XP
Country
Canada

that's nothing i got 25,000 ps3break dongles, even printed with 'phoenixkey' on it, totally useless as it was never open-sourced or cracked, so can't even upload a new firmware to it.

The best, the old ps3 jailbreak dongles ended up being as arcade converters for joysticks, infact the TX minimus dev boards are still being produced by thousands per year, they wired up to convert the 6 buttons and 2 joysticks to usb controller inputs for arcade mame cabs.

Reactions: weatMod

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that's nothing i got 25,000 ps3break dongles, even printed with 'phoenixkey' on it, totally useless as it was never open-sourced or cracked, so can't even upload a new firmware to it.

The best, the old ps3 jailbreak dongles ended up being as arcade converters for joysticks, infact the TX minimus dev boards are still being produced by thousands per year, they wired up to convert the 6 buttons and 2 joysticks to usb controller inputs for arcade mame cabs.
just get into the mame cabinet building biz

garyopa

Admin @ MaxConsole
Trophies
Website
www.O-P-A.biz
XP
Country
Canada
just get into the mame cabinet building biz

i have a friend of mine doing that in florida.

here on this tropical island there a big tax in chopping down trees for wood, so looking at getting plastic pop bottles which are here by the ton littering our nice beaches, recycled and turned into plastic sheets to build cabs with.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqydVNaLR1w