Hacking Build your own dongle (Research and development thread)

jj56185

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China

It comes out of the gate with openwrt, so "yes." Depending on how they did the firmware (is ehci-hcd.ko built into the kernel, or is it a loadable module?), you might need to build a custom firmware image that incorporates the FoF patch so that large control messages can be sent, or just build the ehci-hcd kernel module with the change and push it to the device, then either building and using the C implementation loader posted prior, or installing and using python and the ReSwitched FG injection script.

However, it appears to be externally powered, which is a mark against it. The chinese "3g /4g router 150m" comes in two variants- one that lacks a battery, and one that has a battery built in. The one with the built in battery has an on-switch. Since we only need it for what-- 10 seconds TOPS?-- we should be able to get a shitload of injections per charge. Given that we now have the ultra-compact C implementation of the injector, I have ordered one with the battery pack, and will build the needed flash package for it once my hardware arrives.

If you want to tinker with the mini smart router, go right ahead. The more options we have, the better off we all are.

That means my NETGEAR R6300 with LEDE may playload my switch too?

cherryduck

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

softwareengineer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you found one? I can’t find anywhere that sells them.

Something to take note of though, that since they're so cheap you may want to get a couple or a few of them, because even ones sold by the same vendor could be different, some more limited than others from following the link on the twitter page:

"With its small size (62 mm x 24 mm x 14.5 mm) and its low price tag, it is certainly one of the smallest and cheapest router onto which you can install OpenWrt.

However, this router has some drawbacks: memory (both DRAM and Flash) is limited, and actual hardware and firmware can vary a lot, even when purchased from the same vendor.

Basically, a first device has been designed to fit into the given housing, based on the original Ralink RT5350F reference design, with the goal to make a 3G/4G 150M Wi-Fi router (don't be mistaken, 3G/4G is when you attach an external 3G/4G USB dongle to it!). The resulting PCB has been copied and is populated during "grey shifts" using whatever components are at hand, and sold unbranded on Aliexpress to make a small profit."

Further down:
"Be aware that these unbranded routers come with very different stock firmwares:

• Some have an U-Boot bootloader that accept standard OpenWrt images
  • Some have a crippled U-Boot bootloader that only accept vendor-supplied modified images
  • Some have a very limited Busybox shell available by telnet (login/password admin/admin)
  • Some have a more complete Busybox shell but without any simple mean to fetch files from outside (wget, curl, ftp or tftp)
  • Some have at least one way to fetch files from the command Shell
  • Some have a Chinese / English or English-only WebUI, that may be unbranded or featuring the Qualcomm logo, even if this is a Mediatek / Ralink-based device!
Based on this sad situation, the best way to install OpenWrt on this router may vary. Even if you have similar devices with same packaging from same vendor, you may have to try successively several methods to find out which one actually works."

#2 bullet point sounds like the worst of it though, so getting multiple you should at least end up with 1 or 2 you can use easily!

HamBone41801

Vipera’s Alt
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something to take note of though, that since they're so cheap you may want to get a couple or a few of them, because even ones sold by the same vendor could be different, some more limited than others from following the link on the twitter page:

"With its small size (62 mm x 24 mm x 14.5 mm) and its low price tag, it is certainly one of the smallest and cheapest router onto which you can install OpenWrt.

However, this router has some drawbacks: memory (both DRAM and Flash) is limited, and actual hardware and firmware can vary a lot, even when purchased from the same vendor.

Basically, a first device has been designed to fit into the given housing, based on the original Ralink RT5350F reference design, with the goal to make a 3G/4G 150M Wi-Fi router (don't be mistaken, 3G/4G is when you attach an external 3G/4G USB dongle to it!). The resulting PCB has been copied and is populated during "grey shifts" using whatever components are at hand, and sold unbranded on Aliexpress to make a small profit."

Further down:
"Be aware that these unbranded routers come with very different stock firmwares:

• Some have a crippled U-Boot bootloader that only accept vendor-supplied modified images
  • Some have a very limited Busybox shell available by telnet (login/password admin/admin)
  • Some have a more complete Busybox shell but without any simple mean to fetch files from outside (wget, curl, ftp or tftp)
  • Some have a Chinese / English or English-only WebUI, that may be unbranded or featuring the Qualcomm logo, even if this is a Mediatek / Ralink-based device!
Based on this sad situation, the best way to install OpenWrt on this router may vary. Even if you have similar devices with same packaging from same vendor, you may have to try successively several methods to find out which one actually works."

#2 bullet point sounds like the worst of it though, so getting multiple you should at least end up with 1 or 2 you can use easily!
Ok! Thanks for the info! While those are cheap, if I’m going to have to buy more then one, I think I might as well use the Arietta. They have a guide on building the operating system from scratch. I do have one question though. Is it possible to reflash the firmware on those routers?

mariogamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok! Thanks for the info! While those are cheap, if I’m going to have to buy more then one, I think I might as well use the Arietta. They have a guide on building the operating system from scratch. I do have one question though. Is it possible to reflash the firmware on those routers?
Can you add a link to it?

Don Jon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Further down:

did you hear that tiny soldering guy? you can still make money setting this dongles up and reselling them...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    Taking more time to load the page than to fire up the paper towel is an issue
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's worse is the dinosaur game popping up when the lotion comes out
    +1
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    You use paper towels too? :rofl2:
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    Better keep the safe place 'safe'
    Bounty. The quicker picker upper? lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Aloe vera now with rgb
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    On a serious note, have you tested your ISP DNS answer time ?
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    Last time i've checked, my ISP was like 5/6 ms slower than Cloudflare x)
    yeah. I've tried changing dns too.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Check cpuid make sure ram sockets are detected
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    (and i'm fibered, 5gb shared downloads, 1gb upload)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or even in bios
    its mostly when starting firefox that it's noticible slower. Opening and loading the homepage. Tried fresh installs and all.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Knowing your system specs would help
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    if you're in win 11, have you checked which graphical processor Firefox was using ?
    after it's open, its a bit slower too at loading pages, but not as noticeable as the initial startup and homepage loading
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    can make a little difference
    You mean as in hardware acceleration on or off?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Went to make cup noodles, spilled boiling water on me then the kettle decided to pop
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know why I saw a kettle with wifi
    Will try that now
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    ouch @K3Nv2 hope nothing's too bad !
    xda a good site. My go to site for phone shit. :)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Females have burnt me worse
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Females have burnt me worse