Broken Stuff is Given to Me

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I think I have a broken electronics magnet in me. I don't ask for the things, I don't pay for them, I don't go out of my way. I just keep ending up with them. I sold one broken DSlite for $40 (had a broken hinge, but was still fully functional), a broken iPhone that was just given to me for about $60 if I remember correctly, and other broken electronics here or there for various amounts of cash. On that note:

Yesterday, my DSlite was sitting out after I had been playing a game. My Uncle saw it and made some comments, then he mentioned that my cousin had one exactly like it that she had broken awhile back (the reason she has a DSi XL). Next thing I know, he is walking out with it and the charger for it. I figured it was probably the case when they told me she initially broke it by dropping it, but I got a visual confirmation that the hinge was broken. The top screen display is really messed up too. I don't know if I should blame the messed up hinge, the ribbon cable, or what. The top screen is just the white background was a grey mess on it. Regardless, I'm considering selling it as is for $15 or $20, since somebody could probably fix it for about another $20. Regardless, that is a fairly good deal, so it all works out if I decide to go that route.

Alternative is that I just hold onto it for parts, but since I take care of my electronics and the casing is already messed up, I don't see a point in keeping it for that purpose. Not sure about the condition of the touchscreen though. I'm a tad hesitant to get a good look at it after using my cousin's DSi XL. The touchscreen on that looks terrible with deep scratches all over, crappy calibration because of the abuse, and I'm sure the touchscreen can't be calibrated due to all of those issues. After seeing that, I'm afraid to look at the victim before it. I might just end up trashing it if the touchscreen is garbage too.

tl;dr - I get broken shit a lot that I sell. I have a broken DSlite. I want to sell it, but fear for the condition it may be in.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I kinda wish I went for a Ds phat for my birthday, not that I don't mind my dslite, the only thing I hate about it is it's shoulder buttons, they broke so easily. Everything else works though.

Nathan Drake

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I loved my Phat. It was built like a tank. It breaking allowed me to get a fully functioning DSlite for $40 though, so one can't complain. The core problem with a Phat is that the touchscreen doesn't last as long as it does on later models. It hits the point of no calibration after only about three years of use.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, my touch screen is better then most, though I can't play certain games anymore because of the buttons. *coughbowsersinsidestorycough*.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same thing happens to me with PC parts and accessories. I think it's because I'm in a backwoods little town where nobody seems to even know how to install AOL.
So I get all kinds of stuff given to me.
Extremely old PCs running Windows 95, printers without any ink, free install CDs for crap nobody ever wanted, mice, printers, monitors, webcams, printers, modems, hard drives, printers.....does anybody want a free printer? Maybe three?

Nathan Drake

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
KirbyBoy said:
Yeah, my touch screen is better then most, though I can't play certain games anymore because of the buttons. *coughbowsersinsidestorycough*.

There are plenty of temporary solutions for problematic shoulder buttons.

QUOTE(Vulpes Abnocto @ Aug 6 2011, 02:06 PM) Same thing happens to me with PC parts and accessories. I think it's because I'm in a backwoods little town where nobody seems to even know how to install AOL.
So I get all kinds of stuff given to me.
Extremely old PCs running Windows 95, printers without any ink, free install CDs for crap nobody ever wanted, mice, printers, monitors, webcams, printers, modems, hard drives, printers.....does anybody want a free printer? Maybe three?

Oh boy, the things I could do with three printers!

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nathan Drake said:
KirbyBoy said:

Oh no, they're not problematic, they don't work at all. I even literally took one apart and tried pushing the button with a pencil to see if I wasn't pushing hard enough, that didnt work either.

I've been looking at repair places or parts, but I don't have the money right now.

Nathan Drake

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
KirbyBoy said:
Nathan Drake said:
KirbyBoy said:

Oh no, they're not problematic, they don't work at all. I even literally took one apart and tried pushing the button with the pencil to see if I wasn't push hard enough, that didnt work either.

I've been looking at repair places or parts, but I don't have the money right now.

Well sir, that is just bad luck.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nathan Drake said:
KirbyBoy said:
Nathan Drake said:
KirbyBoy said:

Oh no, they're not problematic, they don't work at all. I even literally took one apart and tried pushing the button with the pencil to see if I wasn't push hard enough, that didnt work either.

Well sir, that is just bad luck.
Pretty much
tongue.gif

Oh well, not many games require shoulder buttons anyway. Besides my computer is good enough to run the ones that do require them, though I'd rather play them on my ds.

But anyway, moving along.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nathan Drake said:
Hey, hey....want to buy this DSlite and steal the shoulder buttons off of it?
tongue.gif

KirbyBoy said:
Nathan Drake said:
QUOTE(KirbyBoy @ Aug 6 2011, 02:03 PM) Yeah, my touch screen is better then most, though I can't play certain games anymore because of the buttons. *coughbowsersinsidestorycough*.

Oh no, they're not problematic, they don't work at all. I even literally took one apart and tried pushing the button with a pencil to see if I wasn't pushing hard enough, that didnt work either.

Nathan Drake

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh man, the lite is worse than I thought. The D-pad doesn't work, the bottom screen has scratches on it, the top screen has scratches on it on top of being broken in some way. To fix this, you would probably need to spend around $35 ($40? $45?) buying two new screens, a new hinge, a new case, and whatever you need to do to get a functioning D-pad again.

Ouch. I think it just dropped to the "$10 if I'm lucky" category.

Well, I just checked out costs, and the housing, two screens, and button pads cost about $15 from Dealextreme. Better than I thought. I still need to figure out exactly what is wrong with the top screen though to see if I need a completely new hinge, or if it is something that replacing the top screen and housing will fix.

Ouch again. To replace the actual hinge is about $11 + shipping. Or $2.17 plus shipping. The big problem is, I don't know if this part is actually needed. :/

kk, I think it's a combination of all of the other problems with the device. $15 should make it like new again from what I'm gathering. That is still reasonably possible to sell for about $15.

Nathan Drake

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
astrangeone said:
Wow. I wonder how that DS Lite got into that shape? The worse thing I've fixed is a broken power button on a DS Lite.

It was owned by a developmentally delayed teen that has no sense of how to take care of something such as that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKyNPg7UIIc