Broken sensor bar

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by rdurbin, Feb 17, 2008.

Feb 17, 2008

Broken sensor bar by rdurbin at 6:13 AM (1,639 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. rdurbin
    OP

Member rdurbin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Anyone know if its possible to fix a broken sensor bar. My sensor bar stopped working suddenly earlier today. After I did some test, I found out the left sensor works fine and right does not. I can kinda still move the cursor around, but its extremely eratic. If I take the cursor off the screen it can take up to 30 seconds for the wii to display the cursor again.

I found a temp. solution. I can stick a flashlight on top of the right side and the wii-remotes will work perfectly, but that gonna really kill batteries of flashlights. For some reason the light of the flashlight has the same effect as the sensor bar.

Anyone know a simple solution or am I just gonna have to buy a new one. Yes, I did go to adjust sentisivity but it shows only 1 dot on each of the 5 settings, but with flashlight it shows two.

2. Renegade_R

Member Renegade_R Audio/Video Expert

Canada
    They work on Infrared LEDs.

The human eye cannot see infrared rays but a lot of cameras and sensors can (hence the Wiimote has a crude IR camera). The sun produces IR rays as well as traditional lightbulbs.

You should probably buy a new sensor bar...its probably not worth your efforts to fix it cause you probably gonna have to do some soldering or LED replacement.

3. rdurbin
    OP

United States
    I just ended up buying one at gamecrazy, they were the only ones that had it. I went to Walmart, target, gamestop, bestbuy, toys r us and NONE of them had it and most of them didnt even know what a wii sensor bar is....

funny thing is when I went there they were asking if I wanted to reserve any games, he mentioned super smash bros. I said no thanks. He than said he just imported it and I said I did the same. He than asked do I have a japanesse wii or modded, I said modded. First time I ever told a retailer that I have a modded wii. Oh well

Anyways I got one of those wireless bars, anyone know how long they last, battery wise. I would of got wired, but no one had it

4. Edwii

Member Edwii GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    if all else fails u can use 2 candles on top or below the screen(fire gives off IR light), just be careful when doing this and watch for wax run off.

and yes this dose really work i have done it my self when i have forgotten my bar,

infact i find it works quite a bit better. the added light can take away the effect from the game if u play in a dark room tho.

5. quadomatic

Member quadomatic GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Just buy a new sensor bar, or buy a couple infrared leds, stick them on a pcb and power them by a battery or something.

6. SavageWaffle

Member SavageWaffle GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Buy a new one. At gamestop, i saw one for $5. Not that big a deal. Or buy a used one(i dont recommend) it was $3.

7. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    as retarded as this sounds, you can use 2 candles instead of a sensor bar. i forgot mine when i took my wii to a party and we tried the candle trick. it worked just as good if not better as a sensor bar.

8. rdurbin
    OP

United States
    yeah i know of the candle trick, was using flash lights for a couple of days. I ended up buying a wireless, which use batteries of course. Which comes to my next question.

Does anyone know of a way to automatically boot Gamecube games using wii, I do have a modchip, if its needed. Sensor bar ran out of power and need it to point at the gamecube game. Batteries are charging now, but it would be nice to have a way to do it.

9. ben_r_

Member ben_r_ GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yes that would be! Anyone know if thats possible?