Broken screw on O3DS back cover...

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by bananapi761, May 25, 2017.

1. bananapi761
    OP

bananapi761 Lurkin

Jan 8, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Norn Iron
    I would like to clean up my O3DS inside-out, it's 5+ years old and a lot of dirt has gathered in between the hinges, under the top screen's cover, etc. However, three of the screws on the back cover come out, but one of them won't budge. Luckily I was able to replace the battery as it was getting quite old too, because it was on the opposite side of the stuck screw (it's on the far right). I was thinking of just cracking the back cover with force, then possibly buying a replacement online, but I haven't found any replacement parts for the O3DS online. Sending it to Nintendo isn't a good idea either. The screws are very tiny, so I don't have many options. Do you have any ideas?

2. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko 3DS Hardmoder

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    super glue (be precise) and glue to it something, that you can use to rotate it. hammer screwdriver in it (to make new "line", but be gentle) and rotate it or drill it. All my ideas :D

3. 6adget

6adget Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2016
    United States
    Sacramento, Ca.
    I run across this all the time while doing electronic repairs. Especially on those ridiculous 3ds screws. When nothing else works, i have to use a small cut off wheel on my dremel to cut a nice slot on the face of the screw head in order to use a standard screw driver. Unfortunately it will also cut some of the plastic in the process. The smaller the cut off wheel the less damage to the plastic. I have this problem 2 to 4 times a week on 3ds's, and so far this has been the last resort solution, but works every time.

4. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko 3DS Hardmoder

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    That's what I meant with "hammering"