Hardware Broken Power Button

AdamRav

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey. Sorry if this is in the wrong section. Recently my power button stopped working. Volume buttons still work fine. I haven't used any homebrew or anything yet as im just waiting to see what the best solution is. I ordered a replacement power ribbon cable to try fix it myself. Does anyone have any tips and tricks regarding opening up the switch and stuff? Do you know of anyone on these forums who does repair services? Let me know. Thanks

P.S Would be willing to sell the switch if anyone gives us a good price. Firmware is currently on 3.0.1.

shakkar23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is made a while ago its sad that no-one replied, although i dont know if your switch is now fixed or not, but the cause of the broken button is because you, or someone else presses the button down to hard try to not press it down with so much force. Just use the minimum amount of force needed, with a little extra so you dont accidentily unpress the power button.

If your switch isnt fixed then i have one tip, dont let anything touch the ribbon, except things that are soft like your fingers, or cloth.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Whoops lag

Reactions: AdamRav

AdamRav

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This is made a while ago its sad that no-one replied, although i dont know if your switch is now fixed or not, but the cause of the broken button is because you, or someone else presses the button down to hard try to not press it down with so much force. Just use the minimum amount of force needed, with a little extra so you dont accidentily unpress the power button.

If your switch isnt fixed then i have one tip, dont let anything touch the ribbon, except things that are soft like your fingers, or cloth.

Whoops lag

Thanks for replying dude. No still not fixed. Im just waiting on delivery for the ribbon cable now (China). I've bought the bits i need to open the switch up. Gonna follow the guide on ifixit.
I've tried pressing the button in various ways nothing seems to register. So from what i know when my nieces were over last they dropped the switch and since then the buttons been dead and thats why the firmware is on 3.0.1. I was gonna keep it on 3.0.0 but yeah they updated lol

I'll keep this thread updated on how everything goes.

Thanks for the tips!!

Chipidy

Trophies
Website
www.chipidychipgaming.com
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for replying dude. No still not fixed. Im just waiting on delivery for the ribbon cable now (China). I've bought the bits i need to open the switch up. Gonna follow the guide on ifixit.
I've tried pressing the button in various ways nothing seems to register. So from what i know when my nieces were over last they dropped the switch and since then the buttons been dead and thats why the firmware is on 3.0.1. I was gonna keep it on 3.0.0 but yeah they updated lol

I'll keep this thread updated on how everything goes.

Thanks for the tips!!
How do you know it's a ribbon problem and not the button itself ( not making contact) ? If you press really hard on the button what does it do? I'm pretty sure it's not a power ribbon problem. It's mostly always the button not making proper contact.

D

Deleted User

The power vol + and - are all on the same tiny flex board. It just slides behind the rubber directly behind the buttons. It's possible it just got bumped out of alignment and needs to be re-seated. It's worth a shot opening it up to check. You might not need the ribbon or to do a full disassembly to fix it.

AdamRav

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Im gonna open it up just to check if anything is outta place. Hope its not the ribbon cable thats busted. It only cost me £2.99 so not a major loss if i don't have to use the cable.

How do you know it's a ribbon problem and not the button itself ( not making contact) ? If you press really hard on the button what does it do? I'm pretty sure it's not a power ribbon problem. It's mostly always the button not making proper contact.

I don't know im just assuming :unsure:

Pressing the power button does nothing at all. The volume buttons work fine though.

shakkar23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is hard trying to align the button with the part that is under the button, ive tried with a 3rd party gamecube controller, assuming that its the same or similar to what ive seen, and i always put the top back on and at least one button is misaligned, i broke my joystick by putting it in my backpack and i guess there was pressure on it and the inside broke, i looked to see whats wrong (having never seen the inside of anything but a see-through wii remote). And saw that i needed to solder the joystick out and replace it but didnt have any soldering tools, or an extra joystick unless i wanted to pull apart another controller. Anyway rant over.

AdamRav

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So finally managed to get some time to take this thing apart. Pretty easy to do if anyone ever has to do this.
You don't actually have to take the whole switch apart if you just need to check if its the ribbon cable thats damaged. Only need to take it apart if you need to replace the actual cable.

Im gonna have to wait on the cable that i've got ordered. It looks like the ribbon cable is whats damaged. I pressed the buttons while out of the Switch. Volume buttons work fine but the power button doesn't register.

I know i should't work on the Switch with the battery still attached but didn't know how else to figure out whats wrong.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are u sure the old ribbon cable just didnt got de-attached from the connector when the console felt on the ground?

They usually only go bad on very low quality ribbon cables that are too stiff and instead of folding they break apart, they need a perfect balance between stiff and foldable...

AdamRav

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Are u sure the old ribbon cable just didnt got de-attached from the connector when the console felt on the ground?

They usually only go bad on very low quality ribbon cables that are too stiff and instead of folding they break apart, they need a perfect balance between stiff and foldable...

I actually took the switch apart to see what the issue was. I checked the ribbon to see if it was not in its connector and all that like the others told me to do. Im just glad its working again haha. Can finally boot into RCM and use some of the homebrew thats out.

I updated it to latest firmware and got the SX Pro running.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    bassviolet @ bassviolet: wth