Hacking Broken part from Wii board !!

ozguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a component number listed next to (or near) it?
For resistors it will start with R such as R203
Capacitors start with C such as C203
Diodes, D203
etc

supagusti

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It looks like a resistor....
No need to wory about it. I wouldn't do anything, if your Wii's working fine.

BTW: As I did the X-Clamp fix on my Xbox360 I blew about 3 to 4 film capacitors (the big ones which stabilize the voltage) and even without them my 360 works fine since last winter.....
What I'm trying to say is, that not every part is essential for the whole schematic to work. Mostly they are built in as "best practise"...

olliepop2000

Trophies
XP
Country
Now come on tell the truth, did you break it whilst trying to fit the Wii Clip lol why else would you be looking at that particular part
tongue.gif

ultraburn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for help...what do resistors do ?
I did try to solder it back on but I may as well have been trying to put C3PO's head back on with my soldering skills..

supagusti

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
ultraburn said:
I did try to solder it back on but I may as well have been trying to put C3PO's head back on with my soldering skills..

Resistors limit the current.
Google Ohm's Law: U=R*I

olliepop2000

Trophies
XP
Country
SMD (surface mount devices) are notoriously difficult to solder especially with hobbyist irons, you can end up, either if the iron is too low damaging chips by leaving it on too long or if you have it too hot you can lift the tracks off the PCB. Don't bother unless you have the right kit ie. temp controlled ESD safe soldering iron, illuminated magnifier glass, lots of experience and a steady hand!

Posts merged

supagusti said:
ultraburn said:

V=I*R

Benjay

Hardstyle Addict
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
olliepop2000 said:
supagusti said:
ultraburn said:

V=I*R

Depends on which country you live.
in France for exemple , it is U=R*I

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If it doesn't have anything written next to it, it might be a ferrite bead.

Just bridge the two pads with a wire. It should work. If your soldering iron is too big, or you don't have 30AWG wires (aka Kynar Wires) just put a blob of tin on it, and make the two pads bridge. Be sure to not put too much, or you could get other components in the blob and create a REAL MESS.

Even better, try to get a REAL ferrite bead (you can see them here) but be aware that SMD soldering isn't easy. Do that only if you're really confident with your soldering skills.

Ferrite beads are there to suppress high frequency noise in electronic circuits. Nothing bad should happen if you just bridge the pads.

Obviously:
DISCLAIMER: I'm in no WAY responsible, liable or anything if you totally kill your Wii by doing this. This is totally at your own risk.

olliepop2000

Trophies
XP
Country
Benjay said:
olliepop2000 said:
supagusti said:
ultraburn said:

V=I*R

Depends on which country you live.
in France for exemple , it is U=R*I
Well whoever is doing that should be using the term Volt (V)
(SI unit)

ultraburn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
raulpica said:
If it doesn't have anything written next to it, it might be a ferrite bead.

Just bridge the two pads with a wire. It should work. If your soldering iron is too big, or you don't have 30AWG wires (aka Kynar Wires) just put a blob of tin on it, and make the two pads bridge. Be sure to not put too much, or you could get other components in the blob and create a REAL MESS.

Even better, try to get a REAL ferrite bead (you can see them here) but be aware that SMD soldering isn't easy. Do that only if you're really confident with your soldering skills.

Ferrite beads are there to suppress high frequency noise in electronic circuits. Nothing bad should happen if you just bridge the pads.

Obviously:
DISCLAIMER: I'm in no WAY responsible, liable or anything if you totally kill your Wii by doing this. This is totally at your own risk.

Thats exactly what it is a "ferrite bead" I looked at the others ....I think I'll leave soldering it for know....and practice on some of my motherboard graveyard items
rolleyes.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Where's everybody?