Hacking Broken modded Wii sending back to nintendo?

AhmedAtry

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My wii all of sudden began to display heavy artifacting, probably indicating towards a messed up gpu, so i guess im going to have to send it to nintendo for repairs:( Problem is my wii is modded thus voiding my warranty. My question is is there a way, or previous attempts, to remove the wiikey in order for nintendo to agree to fix the Wii? Also what would happen if i took my chances and just sent it in? Thanks

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
AhmedAtry said:
My wii all of sudden began to display heavy artifacting, probably indicating towards a messed up gpu, so i guess im going to have to send it to nintendo for repairs:( Problem is my wii is modded thus voiding my warranty. My question is is there a way, or previous attempts, to remove the wiikey in order for nintendo to agree to fix the Wii? Also what would happen if i took my chances and just sent it in? Thanks

my advice is remove it and send it in tell them you bought it pre-owned
smile.gif

any device found in a modded wii would be removed no doubt or the repair not done
frown.gif

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another option, if they still do this, is to ask for an Advance Repair.

You pay $5 for the shipping, and they'll send you a totally new refurbished unit, at which they want you to return your old one. Simply take the one they send you, and swap out the DVD-ROM drive, so everything else they get back will be yours. That way they'll never know you modded it, and you'll get a mostly new Wii
wink.gif

olosi

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
I would not do it, maybe the could cross the serial of the wii with the serial of the drive.
My suggestion is go in the shop and buy a new one, does it worth the risk to send to Nintendo your modded console ?

Even if you get out the modchip they will see anyway that someone opened the console and the warranty is gone.

atomiccow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been done before.

Look at the worst case scenario: Voided warranty, you have to buy a new one.
There's no harm in trying. I'm pretty sure people have sent them in modded and they just get it back with a new DVD drive. I would just rip the chip out and send it in. If they ask, you bought it used.

EDIT: I don't think that the swapping the dvd drive is a good idea. If you just send it in, you could always pretend you had no idea about it.

AhmedAtry

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would i have to re mod my wii when they replace the dvd drive? How much more difficult would it be to mod these new dvd drives than the older generations?

Volkov

Trophies
XP
Country
1) Buy a brand new Wii from a retailer
2) Remove top cover from both consoles
3) Remove modchip from your own wii
4) Swap all insides between the two consoles
5) Install modchip into your own wii (which now has the brand new interals)
6) Secure the top covers to the respective bottom covers on both consoles
7) return purchased wii (now with your damaged insides) to retailer for a full refund

You now have the same case and serial number, but with a brand new inside with your same modchip

If you remove and install the modchip yourself, simply remove everything minus the drive. You should end up keeping your original case, original drive/laser unit, and swap motherboards. You return the purchased case including drive, and they end up with the damaged motherboard. Next purchased customer will return it faulty, or even send it back to nintendo, and it's now another persons problem. Some might find it morally wrong, but either way you or another person will be messing with nintendo. This way I find a lot better, and considering retailers dont know who you are after the return, you're all good.

I've purcahsed and returned consoles before and they haven't even opened the box, the just gave me full refund. There could of been a brick in the box, who knows. I could of taken the drive completely out, or just kept a wiimote if I wanted. Some retailers are dodgy as..

Good luck with your wii though, there's plenty of ways around it. It's good to return a wii to a retailer with the same serial number they gave to you though, because some game stores (most of them) write down the serial number they sell you, because it's pretty common that people rip them off and do this sorta stuff, but second hand game stores cannot avoid this problem. And seeing as I am good friends with some people that own game stores, it kinda sucks, but hey...just speaking from experience in what I know will work

sorry for the long post

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do realize that if you buy a console used, it comes with no warranty... don't you?

Telling them you didn't know it was modded because you bought it used isn't very smart, since it wouldn't be under warranty then (unless it was before).

As far as I know, the DVD drive does not have a serial number... they would have no way of knowing. Buying one at a store would work too but even then, switch the DVD drives... no sense ripping the modchip off. (I mean, switch DVD drives with the one you just bought, then put the new DVD drive in the old Wii and try to return it)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock