Broke 3ds top screen

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Giodude, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Giodude
    OP

Giodude Ruler of Italy

GBAtemp Patron
    Giodude is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    So the other day this happened

[​IMG]

So what parts would I need to buy in order to fix this. Also, more importantly, how the F*CK do you open up a n3ds!? There are no tutorials on it. I've also heard its as complicated as all hell. So, where do I open it? Wheres the error? What do I do?

2. TimX24968B

TimX24968B "That guy"

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Nowhere
    I wouldn't know too much about this, but a similar thing happened to my friend's O3ds; yet with the entire top screen not working at all.

3. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    So yeah you cracked the LCD and it needs to be replaced here is a teardown https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nintendo+3DS+XL+2015+Teardown/36346 The only real screen replacements I can find are from Hongkong and China

Last edited by Xenon Hacks, Apr 28, 2016
  4. Ricken

Ricken We'll Carry On

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    Shibuya, The small one from Vegas
    my Grandma did this to my 2DS

Too much pressure to the touch screen, and since there was no hinge to seperate the screen, the system was pretty much KIA

5. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
  6. Sleet

Sleet GBAtemp Fan

Jan 29, 2008
    United States
    If you do get a screen, make sure it's for the right system. NEW 3DS XL & 3DS XL are not the same. :glare: (damn chinese seller still isn't refunding me for his mistake)

7. Giodude
    OP

Giodude Ruler of Italy

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    could someone link me to the lcd, i can't seem to find a n3ds link.

8. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Also, irrelevant, but I like your theme.

9. Sleet

Sleet GBAtemp Fan

Jan 29, 2008
    United States
    Cheapest I've found are on Aliexpress (like chinese amazon). EDIT: here is one supposedly, but be very careful that it is correct.

Last edited by Sleet, Apr 28, 2016
  10. LinkSoraZelda

LinkSoraZelda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2015
    United States
    Land of the Rising Orange
    Get on my level.

Attached Files:

Bubsy Bobcat likes this.
  11. Giodude
    OP

Giodude Ruler of Italy

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    Oh god are they expensive. Ill see if I can afford it

12. Buttsnake

Buttsnake "Mods please close this thread"

Aug 23, 2015
    United States
    Inside your SD card
    edit: nvm

Last edited by Buttsnake, Apr 28, 2016
  13. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    How the hell do you guys manage to break the screen I have quite literally dropped my 3ds from great heights on numerous occasions and stood on it a few times as well and the screens still look as good as new. And before anyone asks yes I am a clumsy fool lol.

Pandaxclone2 and Arubaro like this.
  14. phant0mg33k

phant0mg33k Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2015
    United States
    Hey guys I lurk around here regularly, normally at work ta boot. The reason I bring this up is I work on cellphones and tablets, I repaired my old 3dsXL did the LCD only, let me tell you if your good with your hands this is a hard repair. I took me about 2.5 hours, far to long for a repair. I can drop an ipad 2 glass in less time than that. Getting the hinge already pre-made from what I'm told is a bit more forgiving I could not get my hinge apart so using the old screen I bent the new one the same way as to give it that double loop, and had to pull it thru, really not any fun at all. If I had repaired one before i would replace it for you just buy the part. That being said if you have never worked on a mobile device I recommend staying far away. Nintendo has some sort of hate for repair on a screen, that's why if you sent it to them you would get a new console, that or a refurbished model.

15. Kyouken

Kyouken Repairer of the Breach

Oct 31, 2015
    United States
    GBATemp
    One thing to note is if you're going to take it apart, even if you use the right screwdriver, it's very easy to strip the screws.

LinkSoraZelda likes this.
  16. Giodude
    OP

Giodude Ruler of Italy

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    i got a guy helping me with this eho does this sort of thing all the time. I can barely spend 50 dollars on this, let alone 200. Im taking my chances. Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: There aren't too many people who have specifically done this to a n3ds, and frankly you seem very reliable. When im taking it apart, mind if i ask you some questions. PM me if your answer is yes. Maybe even a skype call? This goes for anyone else too who knows what they're doing please. I need all the help i can get. 3DS modding is my life.

longboarding accident. Very painful.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

So not sure if this has anything to do with this, but i recently updated from the initial release of aureinand to luma3ds. Im not sure if it was that, or the drop, but ds cartridges/ dsiware/gba games fail to load. I just blackscreen everytime. Is this possible? The B button is broken too but i'm assuming that's an easy fix.

Last edited by Giodude, Apr 29, 2016
  17. GinOkami428

GinOkami428 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 1, 2015
    United States
    Jeez man, you got lucky. For my old 3DS XL, the whole top screen was black! I just ended up buying a New 3DS to replace it (then downgraded only a few months later!) as replacing the LCD screen is no easy task. As for tutorials, check here: (most detailed) and here: . I had took mine to a electronics repair shop near where I live and he said I would've had to buy the parts myself, but would've tried to repair it; it would have cost me around $25 I think to buy the screen.

18. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Ugh, I did a top screen replacement before on o3DS XL, it's not very fun to do. Replacing anything at the bottom half of the 3DS is piss easy, but top is hell.

Also, my personal o3DS XL is build like a tank, I must have knocked that thing on the floor countless times, and no damage at all. I wish I could say the same about my cell phone. Gorilla glass my ass! Thought, they did fix and replace my phone screen for free! :P

Last edited by Viri, Apr 29, 2016
  19. Giodude
    OP

Giodude Ruler of Italy

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    but the problem is, how different is n3ds to o3ds?

20. GinOkami428

GinOkami428 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 1, 2015
    United States
    - I don't know, your guess is as good as mine. I know that the SD card is located "inside" the system. The screws under the rubber stoppers should still be there but I've never taken my New 3DS apart to do repairs (I never repaired the 3DS XL either). Just try to see if you can find anything over New 3DS repair on youtube if that is what you need.