Suggestion Brining back the true gbatemp style

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're gonna force us to use this new style, please lower the padding. Why do I need to zoom out to see the same amount of content as with the old payout? This isn't an upgrade. I don't need gigantic text and blank space everywhere.

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
If you're gonna force us to use this new style, please lower the padding. Why do I need to zoom out to see the same amount of content as with the old payout? This isn't an upgrade. I don't need gigantic text and blank space everywhere.
Screenshot_2018-09-04-20-59-19.png

Reactions: Quantumcat

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I've been zoomed out to 80% view on this site since Tempstyle 2 became a thing, and honestly, it works fine that way. When Gbatemp went from V4 to V5, everyone freaked out, but everyone eventually adapted, cuz that's how websites work, they change to keep up.

Of course user preference can exist for the old theme, especially if you used it for years, but it's just time to move on.

If you need a "true" dark theme while you wait for Shaun's, Shadowfied has a browser extension thing that makes it so.

VitaType

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've been zoomed out to 80% view on this site since Tempstyle 2 became a thing, and honestly, it works fine that way. [...] but it's just time to move on.
If even the stuff needs to use the zoom function of the browser to be okay with the new design, how is it time to move on? Obviously the new design isn't ready to use yet, else the stuff hadn't to use such hacks like the zoom function to make the new design acceptable for themself.

Reactions: windwakr

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
If even the stuff needs to use the zoom function of the browser to be okay with the new design, how is it time to move on? Obviously the new design isn't ready to use yet, else the stuff hadn't to use such hacks like the zoom function to make the new design acceptable for themself.
I'm just using it for an example of if you find it "too large". It's perfectly fine at 100% zoom to me as well, but I personally prefer it a little zoomed out. The new design has been ready to use, and perfectly fine since it was launched. That's hardly a "hack". If optionally removing certain parts of the theme is a possibility, then maybe that should be looked into to make it more compact, but the new theme is hardly unusable.

Reactions: brickmii82

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ran tempstyle1 foooreeeeveeeer. At least until @Chary teased me for being old asf. After getting acclimated to tempstyle2, I like it. Plus I can see my XP stuff now, so theres that ...

Reactions: WeedZ

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
everything seems indeed way too large even with minimal padding, any post just seems bloated up for no good reason. zooming out would be fine to fix the general design, but text gets too small for my taste.

also, at least get the edit button back to where it was before.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Unfortunately as Costello has stated it's not really feasible to have 4 concurrent skins. Making changes and keeping them functional just isn't possible for us. Don't forget we both have full time jobs as well.

However I will soon start a feedback thread for those who prefer classic tempStyle to gather constructive feedback for suggestions to improve it. These will be separate options that will be available for registered members to toggle on or off so if you're not interested in leveling up etc you can disable that information for example.

tastymeatball

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Here's a greasemonkey script that removes the little level number from your profile pic and the patron banner (@pandavova )
Code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name        gbaTemp
// @namespace   a
// @include     https://gbatemp.net/*
// @version     1
// ==/UserScript==

//remove XP Level from status bar
var xpLevel = document.getElementsByClassName("xpLvl");
if (xpLevel == null){} else {
  for (i = 0; i < xpLevel.length; i++){
    var xpLevelEntry = xpLevel[i].parentElement.removeChild(xpLevel[i]);
  }
}

//remove Patron
var patronBanner = document.getElementsByClassName("patron");
if (patronBanner == null){} else {
  var patronBannerParent = null;
  var uiOverlayEle = null;
  for (var i = 0; i < patronBanner.length;){
    patronBannerParent = patronBanner[i].parentElement;
    patronBannerParent.removeChild(patronBanner[i]);
    uiOverlayEle = patronBannerParent.getElementsByClassName("uiOverlay");
    if (uiOverlayEle == null){} else {
      for (var j = 0; j < uiOverlayEle.length; j++){
        uiOverlayEle[j].style = "";
      }
    }
  }
}

D

Deleted User

Maybe the community could make some sort of temp style plugin? Like create a addon for browsers to use a local file on the system and use that as the skin. Not sure how that would work when the site would get updated. But at least the classic style would be used by individual users and not tax the server. And theoretically. That would also mean the community would be responsible for fixing things the old style wasn't compatible with. And hey. This also means any user who truly hates both styles. Can go and make their own.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: pandavova
D

Deleted User

Maybe the community could make some sort of temp style plugin? Like create a addon for browsers to use a local file on the system and use that as the skin. Not sure how that would work when the site would get updated. But at least the classic style would be used by individual users and not tax the server. And theoretically. That would also mean the community would be responsible for fixing things the old style wasn't compatible with. And hey. This also means any user who truly hates both styles. Can go and make their own.
This was brought up in another thread about Tempstyle 1. While extensions like Stylus do exist that do something similar, it would be, at the very least, difficult to implement.

I think Seriel explained it better than I could at this point:
[It's] not possible even if you had the old CSS file, a Xenforo theme is more than just a single CSS file its got some scripts and lots of image resources too which will have been deleted now that the style is gone. Maybe if you were to scrape every resource it used while it was still alive, but that's not possible anymore.

Reactions: Seriel

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
My biggest issue with the switch is that now everything is way too huge. I feel like I need to turn this tab to 75% or lower to read the same amount of content.

Modernizing things are fine, but I really hate the new large bubble layout that mobile phones are pushing. I don't need massive margins on a desktop, this isn't a mobile device, so treating it like one is stupid.

Edit: I need a drop down to edit posts and report? Great, another abstraction brought about by the mobile themes that can't handle too much content on the same line without wrapping. Also, while we are at it, give us a way to disable the levels and message count, or at least compress it down. Single line posts are now 50% larger than they were in the previous theme that just got disabled.
Looks the same to me, the colors changed but the layout hasn't really changed much, besides the new portal page of course.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How can I use this Temp2 Dark?

https://gbatemp.net/misc/style (located down the bottom of the page)
or
https://gbatemp.net/account/preferences

Alternatively if you have the ability to run site CSS modifying tools ( https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/styl-us/ ) then you can have the older dark colours back with either https://gbatemp.net/threads/unoffic...eme-for-gbatemp-v6.473925/page-7#post-8262817 or darker still with the main subject of the thread.

Reactions: JiveTheTurkey

Pachee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately we won't be able to bring it back, we can no longer support 4 styles simultaneously.
If you have any suggestions for improvements on TempStyle 2 and TempStyle 2 Dark don't hesitate to comment!
I have one suggestion: Make it decent like the old one.
Sorry for being rude but this new style is just horrible. It takes too much space on my 800p laptop screen (which i use mostly), everything now looks like those crappy mobile tablet sites with hueg buttons. I can't even see a single reason for this change, at least everything i was using was working perfectly fine with the old one.
I just want the compact, non tabletish/phoneish interface back.

Edit: Why do i even need to click a Menu now just to edit my post? jesus... This is the same non productive, useless crap Google was pulling all over its services recently.

Last edited by Pachee,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.