Suggestion Bring back the old Mod team

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by Lilith Valentine, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Lilith Valentine
    OP

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    When I first joined, there used to be both GMs and Mods. GMs oversaw the whole forums and the Mods oversaw sections. There also used to be 2 to 3 mods per section, which really helped control the quality of posting on the site.
    I've noticed since we've gotten right of the Mods and favor of just having a GM team, the quality of the site has really gone down. I am seeing far more issues coming up with flaming, harassment, trolling, bumping spam, ect. which did happen before, but was always quickly taken care of because we had a big enough staff to do it. But recently it seems the staff here are becoming grossly overworked or simply busy in real life to really dedicate enough time to dealing with these issues. Which is why I suggest we bring back the old Mod team to really delegate those tasks and really have a greater staff presence on the forums. Something to really help make the job easier for everyone, well improving the quality of the site.

nxwing, gamefan5, DrkBeam and 9 others like this.
  2. SomecallmeBerto

SomecallmeBerto The Anti-Hero

Dec 17, 2014
    United States
    USA
    I notice this mostly with the 3DS section while the Vita section seems calm.

3. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    I can not really say what I think of this since I am not on the team but I do agree that the team is over worked with regards to their various responsibilities and that assistance would most likely be welcomed.

4. ItsKipz

ItsKipz l33t hax0r

Sep 9, 2016
    United States
    The C: drive
    I'm relatively new here, but it seems like having a mod team would make things easier for everyone.

5. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I've seen the decline of Temp lately.
    It's sad indeed.

I miss the blue names.

VinsCool likes this.
  6. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    People have been saying that since the beginning.
    "Nothing Like The Good Old Days" syndrome.

dice, Minox, raulpica and 8 others like this.
  7. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    IPB temp was a lot different from Xenforo temp.
    Around the time that the 3DS got hacked is where things started to spiral down really.

Alex658 and frogboy like this.
  8. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Mark my words, 5 years from now, people in the Switch hacking and homebrew section will be bitching and whining about how things have gone downhill since the golden era of the 3ds scene. :P

'Don, nxwing, DrkBeam and 7 others like this.
  9. Lilith Valentine
    OP

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    The thing is, I've been here for 7 years. I've seen the Temp at it's worst (dem old Pokefloods) and I've seen it at it's best.
    In recent years, there has been a shift. What used to be a welcoming community for devs has now really started to shit on them. Not to mention the amount of spam threads that get bumped up to 2 to 3 pages, there's flame posts that go hours before being taken down, ect. It's obvious that the staff is grossly overworked.

10. Bubsy Bobcat

Bubsy Bobcat sipp

Jul 8, 2015
    Zimbabwe
    I too would like to see a change in how moderating is done, since even though I've only been here for a year and a bit, I've noticed a large decline in quality on this site due to all the spam, dumb questions without searching first and shitposting (even though I am/was part of the problem) and it's really sad to see this and it's been so off putting to some that they no longer visit here anymore. I never spend as much time here as I used to because of this.

CeeDee likes this.
  11. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    NDS has had it share of noob floods but nothing as bad as now.
    It's the shitposting and single image reply/ meme spam that's has gotten out of hand.
    Those posts don't get removed to quickly and the trolls are getting the impression they got free play, adding to the toxicity.

12. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    I agree this place never has enough police. Hard to understand since it's unpaid labor.

Bubsy Bobcat likes this.
  13. ItsKipz

ItsKipz l33t hax0r

Sep 9, 2016
    United States
    I remember on an old subreddit i used to run, they would hold "elections" every month for a kinda half-mod, that had limited power, but could help out the current staff alot. That way, it was run by the community, and still well managed.

'Don likes this.
  14. Lilith Valentine
    OP

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    I am unpaid and I still help out on Filetrip. It's really about honor and the love for this great site.

nxwing, Gray_Jack, Chary and 2 others like this.
  15. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    The NDS era wasn't full of entitled scuds that snap at you when you give them the answer they don't want. There were some people, and posts.. But it was nowhere near as bad. That's about when I joined in. The old R4 era.

16. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    Pretty sure I've seen this exact thing suggested a few months ago (and that's before I suggested the same thing/volunteered in a PM).

IMO it shouldn't be that difficult to find sane members willing to be moderators; the administration should really have found some by now.

I don't think elections are the way to go for finding moderators. It should be a combination of users' sanity and willingness.

Last edited by evandixon, Dec 9, 2016
  17. VinsCool

VinsCool Disgusted

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    An Alternate Reality
    Please make it happen! I'm tired of the shit going on here. There's a serious timezone issue too. Most active staff live in europe, and sleep when most spam happens here (around 8:00PM to 2:00AM)

nxwing and Gray_Jack like this.
  18. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    It comes up every few months. Some threads going to shit, and some just drop to the bottom of the list. Something NEEDS to be done, but those with the power to make it happen seem to think otherwise.

19. ItsKipz

ItsKipz l33t hax0r

Sep 9, 2016
    United States
    When they had elections, you had to submit yourself as a "candidate" and people voted for who would be best mod.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Maybe the team should just open up mod submissions? There are plenty of people in this community who i would 100% support if they became mods.

20. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    Or just look and see who's been posting helpful posts and offer them a position. (Or rethink their whole "we do not accept people who volunteer to become mods" policy on the condition the volunteers are sane and helpful.)

ItsKipz likes this.