Hacking Bricked Wii, now with symptoms!

mrfraser89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So I received the wii today.

When plugged in, the power light is Red. When I turn it on, Green light.

The wii makes a light beep, the screen goes from No Signal to a slightly changed shade of black. Then it sounds as though the disc drive is searching, or the fan is whirring (not sure.)

Tried the gamecube restore menu trick to no luck. Or at least, nothing is displayed on screen? On my other wii, the version number is displayed when using this method.

The previous owner, said that the problem occurred when trying to install softmod stuff onto the wii, which already had a modchip installed. The chip is a wasabi DX.

What's my next approach to working out what's wrong guys?

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
If SaveMiiFrii worked on your other Wii but not this, then it doesn't sound good. If no version number is displayed then its possible that there isn't a functioning system menu. With no DVD in the drive, do you get a quick succession of flashes when you turn on the unit, or just a single one?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
A couple random things. Probably won't solve anything, but worth the try:

-hold the reset button before powering on the wii to see if preloader/priiloader menu comes up
-boot the wii with the files from bootmii into place to see if bootmii is installed
-try using the cables of the other wii on this one to see if it is the wii or the cable

That's roughly the first aid for these sort of things. Deadlyfoez can probably tell more about infectus...infractous...something that may revive it (this shows how much I know about it). But still...a bit more information than "install softmod stuff" would be nice. If he followed some half-assed guide that had him downgrade his firmware for no reason, region change it for the heck of it, install a bunch of random wads 'because the guide told him to do so' and proceeded to play the end user ('I didn't understood that technical mumbo jumbo, so I may have skipped a step or two')...then it may be very hard to actually recover anything from the wii (well...except the chip, of course).
unsure.gif

mrfraser89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
No priiloader or boot2 it seems.

As I don't have the front faschia, and I don't want to open up my other wii, I don't actually have any blue light to go off. (Although it is just a 2 prong adapter I may be able to rig something up anyway).

I pulled it apart to install the Wasabi back in. The LED on the chip is green, as there was a burnt DVD left inside the Wii. I managed to get it to eject after a bit of mucking around, and now the Wii just does a quick sound of reading the drive then nothing (whereas before it just kept spinning the disc it seems).

Without a disc, the screen flashes white for a brief second (with a bit of graphic corruption on it, but no words or anything) then returns to black.

Is it worth trying an autoboot WAD Manager, or is that only relevant after the restore menu?

mrfraser89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmmm I may give this a miss now, buy myself a wii with a faulty disc drive, and swap the chip and drive over, then sell the faulty one. As faulty
smile.gif

Thanks for the ideas guys, but as the Savemii didn't work, I didn't have much hope after that (considering prii and bootmii weren't present).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: @_@