Hacking Bricked Switch

jellybeangreen2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, here goes. (Not my Switch, a friends)

little story. Was on 5.1.0 (backup from 4.1 I believe). He offline updated to 8.1.0 burning his efuse since it is banned, but forgot to update his SXOS boot.dat. He thought it was then bricked. Restored his nand and bam. Then he made some gpp / gpt changes. And as a result black screen.
I have a backup of all partitions and rawnand. I have restored this. Still no success. (Again the backup is either version 4.1.0 / 5.1.0)

I have also followed a guide to manually recreate the partitions, obtain the keys, flash boot0/1 etc. Manually create the firmware (I did do 5.1.0 not 8.1.0) using the desktop version of Choi.

Does anyone have any advice / help the best way for me to resolve this please?

UPDATE: Full explanation of what’s happened so far. Console bricked after manual update from 5.1.0 to 8.1.0 (fuse count 10). User thought console was bricked after trying to load SXOS but forgot to update boot.dat. Restored old nand backup. Black screen completely. GPT reset still black screen.

then I got ahold of it. I have done a manual firmware install following these steps:https://switch.homebrew.guide/usingcfw/manualchoiupgrade

I now have firmware 8.1.0 installed, I now have a Nintendo boot logo. After this I get a black screen.

So now I have a Nintendo logo the firmware is at least on the switch and it is now trying to load up through the Nintendo bootloader. CFW, also boots to black screen. SXOS/Renix/ Atmosphere. Firmware is in exfat mode with an exfat sd. I tried using a fat/32 sd and the switch will not detect it at all. Nor can I create —noexfat firmware using the above link via pc.

Has anyone got any ideas in regards to the black screen after Nintendo logo please?

Last edited by jellybeangreen2,

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You would need the ability to update firmware via payload, and idk if it is the works but atm pretty sure the switch is staying bricked.

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, here goes. (Not my Switch, a friends)

little story. Was on 5.1.0 (backup from 4.1 I believe). He offline updated to 8.1.0 burning his efuse since it is banned, but forgot to update his SXOS boot.dat. He thought it was then bricked. Restored his nand and bam. Then he made some gpp / gpt changes. And as a result black screen.
I have a backup of all partitions and rawnand. I have restored this. Still no success. (Again the backup is either version 4.1.0 / 5.1.0)

I have also followed a guide to manually recreate the partitions, obtain the keys, flash boot0/1 etc. Manually create the firmware (I did do 5.1.0 not 8.1.0) using the desktop version of Choi.

Does anyone have any advice / help the best way for me to resolve this please?
Bricked? Doubtful. Does it enter RCM mode? Can you inject a payload? Why not inject Hekate and restore your nand backup? Then boot AMS with hekate and do what you need to do in Choi. Booting with Hekate will make the console not care about the efuses. AMS is best for homebrew and Choi works just fine in there. SX OS has issues with homebrew.

jellybeangreen2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@jellybeangreen2 you're in luck just a method with a modified choi for superior firmwares

can you please provide more information?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Bricked? Doubtful. Does it enter RCM mode? Can you inject a payload? Why not inject Hekate and restore your nand backup? Then boot AMS with hekate and do what you need to do in Choi. Booting with Hekate will make the console not care about the efuses. AMS is best for homebrew and Choi works just fine in there. SX OS has issues with homebrew.

It does boot in to RCM. I restored the backup and it boots to a black / blue ish screen.

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can you please provide more information?

It does boot in to RCM. I restored the backup and it boots to a black / blue ish screen.
Make sure your sd card isn't corrupt, and then put on a fresh clean install of atmosphere and try again.

jellybeangreen2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the advice guys. So, I now have a Nintendo screen which I didn’t before. FW is 8.0.1 / 8.1.0 I have tried both, after the Nintendo boot screen after 3-5 secs I get a black screen. Atmosphere boots to a black screen also.

Calyptor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Im in the exact same boat I think...does your screen flash the atmosphereo logo when you hold the power button for 15 seconds after trying to boot atmospphere?

chippy

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Booting fuse primary or through Hekate?
Try in Hekate to boot payload and select fuse primary and see if that works

Calyptor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Booting fuse primary or through Hekate?
Try in Hekate to boot payload and select fuse primary and see if that works

In my particular case either payloads don't work. But I don't want to thread jack Ops thread... would be nice if I got a reply on mine... I'll be following this one closely though as I think it's the closest one to my situation...

Good luck OP!

Last edited by Calyptor,

jellybeangreen2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im in the exact same boat I think...does your screen flash the atmosphereo logo when you hold the power button for 15 seconds after trying to boot atmospphere?
The switch I’m working on used to do that. It uses SXOS. However, first time booting atmosphere it did do that (using older tools for firmware 5.1.0) fuse count was 10. I have now re-done it using newer tools for firmware 8.1.0. And it now boots the Nintendo logo. (Stock boot loader) after that black screens. Now I am at this part I think I know what the problem is, I will have to check tonight and will reply back.

Is yours bricked too I presume?

Reactions: Calyptor

Calyptor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The switch I’m working on used to do that. It uses SXOS. However, first time booting atmosphere it did do that (using older tools for firmware 5.1.0) fuse count was 10. I have now re-done it using newer tools for firmware 8.1.0. And it now boots the Nintendo logo. (Stock boot loader) after that black screens. Now I am at this part I think I know what the problem is, I will have to check tonight and will reply back.

Is yours bricked too I presume?

Kinda.... it boots into RCM no prob but at first I could not even get the Nintendo logo to appear but now after manually updating to 6.2 I can see it, followed by black/grey screen. As mentioned AMS flashes once then same thing black/grey screen. If I hold the power button to "hard turn it off" the logo will flash a couple times more then finally turn off. I started having issues after I tried downgrading with choi. You're buddy might have done the same and I'm also guessing my stock nand (4.0.1) was useless... my fuse count went from 3 to 8 so I'm for sure on 6.2 now...

Last edited by Calyptor,

jellybeangreen2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kinda.... it boots into RCM no prob but at first I could not even get the Nintendo logo to appear but now after manually updating to 6.2 I can see it, followed by black/grey screen. As mentioned AMS flashes once then same thing black/grey screen. If I hold the power button to "hard turn it off" the logo will flash a couple times more then finally turn off. I started having issues after I tried downgrading with choi. You're buddy might have done the same and I'm also guessing my stock nand (4.0.1) was useless... my fuse count went from 3 to 8 so I'm for sure on 6.2 now...
That’s exactly what he did. He forgot to update his SXOS boot.dat and thought cause he updated from 5.1.0 to 8.x it was bricked. Then he restored his 5.x nand backup. Reset the gpt partitions etc. From what I read. If you have the same problem I am having. You have to fully delete everything within the SYSTEM partition. Then copy only the folders / files from the firmware you manually created to that partition. Ensure your BIS keys are entered correctly. Do a test and save. Then just power the system on and let it go through the default Nintendo boot loader. (Presuming you are on the same firmware number as your fuse count). This is what I will do tonight.

Calyptor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That’s exactly what he did. He forgot to update his SXOS boot.dat and thought cause he updated from 5.1.0 to 8.x it was bricked. Then he restored his 5.x nand backup. Reset the gpt partitions etc. From what I read. If you have the same problem I am having. You have to fully delete everything within the SYSTEM partition. Then copy only the folders / files from the firmware you manually created to that partition. Ensure your BIS keys are entered correctly. Do a test and save. Then just power the system on and let it go through the default Nintendo boot loader. (Presuming you are on the same firmware number as your fuse count). This is what I will do tonight.

Thank you for the replies on your own thread man, I really appreciate it.....sadly i tried this with both the 4.0.1 files generated by choidujour and with the 6.2 firmware files found on "unbrick_your_switch" on xbins but to no avail.... the thing is that i think I fully screwed myself becasue I have a 4.0.1 nand back up but my fuse count is now 8. so if i try to install the 4.0.1 files on OFW i boot to a blue screen.... where as if i boot with the 6.2 files i see the nintendo logo and then black screen...

Last edited by Calyptor,

jellybeangreen2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the replies on your own thread man, I really appreciate it.....sadly i tried this with both the 4.0.1 files generated by choidujour and with the 6.2 firmware files found on "unbrick_your_switch" on xbins but to no avail.... the thing is that i think I fully screwed myself becasue I have a 4.0.1 nand back up but my fuse count is now 8. so if i try to install the 4.0.1 files on OFW i boot to a blue screen.... where as if i boot with the 6.2 files i see the nintendo logo and then black screen...
You have to do it with 6.2. And you have to use choidujour to generate the firmware on PC using your prod.keys / keys.txt. - I will text this last part myself tonight. - You are using hackdiskmount to mount your system partition aren’t you?

Calyptor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You have to do it with 6.2. And you have to use choidujour to generate the firmware on PC using your prod.keys / keys.txt. - I will text this last part myself tonight.
Choi support stops at 6.0 if im not mistaken and yes using hackdiiscmount....But for sure keep me in the loop and again thank you for your replies

Last edited by Calyptor,

jellybeangreen2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Choi support stops at 6.0 if im not mistaken. But for sure keep me in the loop and again thank you for your replies
https://github.com/StarDustCFW/ChoiDujour
this is a modified version which is what I used, this allowed me to create 8.0.1 and 8.1.0 successfully. RetroGamer74 released a vid which someone on here linked me too. I’ve used his PS4 payloads before and we’re decent. His vid on it looks successful. Mine unfortunately as mentioned black screen after Nintendo logo. I believe again, this is system partition related and hopefully should be an easy fix. Try creating your 6.x firmware Witt this. Make sure the firmware is signed. It will tell you. And ensure you have your bis keys in HacDiskMount partitions. Restore the newly created partitions from the modified chor version above to your switch. - BUT before doing that. If you have the Nintendo logo already. And you’re already on 6.x. Then create firmware as mentioned above and just replace system partition with the files / folders from there. Then try again

Last edited by jellybeangreen2,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16