Gaming Breakdown of Phantasy Star Zero

SamusKnight2K

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seeing as there's probably alot of you who have never played the PSO series and those who have, here's a basic rundown of the game menus. PSZ uses the same general layout as PSO which makes it easier for those who have played the previous games. Please note I don't speak Japanese but looking at the current layout and from my own experience in PSZ so far I can guess this is what each should mean.

<b>GAME MENU</b>

<b>Character 1
Character 2
Character 3</b>
(Menus available after creating a character.)
- Offline Mode (After beating the game, this should open up another option for Normal, Hard, Very Hard, or whatever other difficulties they offer.)
- Multiplay Mode (Local LAN play.)
- Wi-Fi Mode (Connect to others over the internet.)
- Dressing Room (You can change your character's look and voice here. You can also change your name after confirming.)
- Delete Character (You'll be asked first if you want to delete it. First answer yes, second no. Choosing yes brings up a final confirmation. Answers are same as before.)
<b>Friend Code</b>
- Friend List (Displays your friend codes. Note you need to connect to Nintendo WFC at least once to obtain your code. Pressing X locks the highlighted Friend Code preventing accidental deletion or modification. Under this option you can change the selected Friend Code name using the top option, bottom option is to delete selected friend code.)
- Insert New Friend Code (You can insert your friend codes from other players here.)
- Change Display Name (This changes the display name viewed in others Friend Code Lists, it has nothing to do with your character name.)
<b>WFC Connection List</b> (For managing your connections to the internet, works the same as any other english DS game with WFC capabilities.)

* In-Game Menus

<b>START MENU</b>
<b>Items</b> (Access your items here.)
<b>Equipment</b> (View and equip your armor/weapons/units/mags here.)
<b>Customize</b> (Customize your action palette for battle.)
<b>Mag</b> (Feed your mag items. From experience it would seem feeding your mag certain items works the same way as it did in PSO.)
<b>Technics</b> (Magic spells in the PS series. In PSZ holding down the button it's assigned to deals an AoE effect of that spell.)
- Attack (This includes Foie (Fire), Barta (Ice), Zonde (Lightning), Grants (Light), and Megid (Death dealing attack)
- Restorative (This includes Resta (Heals HP) and Anti (Removes status effects.)
- Support (This includes Shifta (Red icon, ATK Up), Deband (Blue icon, DEF Up), Jellen (Red icon, ATK Down), and Zalure (Blue icon, DEF Down)
<b>Quest Board</b> (First option under this lets you view the current quest info. Second option is to cancel the current quest.)
<b>Save </b>
- Save (Let's you save current progress without quitting. Top answer is yes, bottom is no.)
- Quit (Quits the current game. After quitting it gives you a choice if you want to save or not. Top answer is yes, bottom is no.)

<b>LOWER SCREEN</b>
<b>Map</b> (Tapping your mini-map converts your lower screen into a grid map. Tap the X in the top right corner to close.)
<b>Chat Entry Mode</b> (Top Arrow pointing down next to mini-map. Tapping it brings up the screen for drawing your messages/pictures.)
- Thin Pencil (Lets you draw thin lines.)
- Thick Pencil (Lets you draw thick lines.)
- Eraser (Lets you erase whatever you draw over.)
- Clear (Miniature icon that almost looks like a clock. Erases entire screen.)
- Normal Speech (Looks like a rectangle with rounded edges. This is the default bubble.)
- Shout Speech (Oval-shaped with jagged-lines. This is considered a shout or exclamation bubble.)
- Thought Speech (Cloud-shaped icon. Produces a thought bubble with your text in it.)
- Send (Larger icon with arrow pointing up. Sends your text/doodle to the top screen. Selecting this when making shorcuts saves it to your selected shortcut.)
- Switch Modes (Four rectangles below send button. Switches between Chat Entry Mode and Chat Log. Unavailable when making shortcuts.)

<b>Chat Log</b> (Accessed from Chat Entry Mode. The right side of the screen shows all entered chat/images from all players. Tapping the up/down arrows on the side lets you scroll through it.)
- Copy (Two rectangles with arrows going down between them. Tapping this then an entry in the chat log lets you copy that entry to your shortcuts.)
- Back (Arrow pointing left. Returns you to the previous screen.)

<b>Shortcut Log</b> (Bottom Arrow pointing down next to mini-map. The right side of the screen shows all shortcuts made by you. Tapping the up/down arrows on the side lets you scroll through it. In Free-Mode under the Wi-Fi menu this is replaced with pre-made entries.)
- Pencil and Paper (Brings you to the Chat Entry Mode. )
- Clear (Icon-like clock without hands. Tapping this then an entry in the log clears it.)
- Copy (Two rectangles with arrows going down between them. Tapping this then an entry in your shortcuts lets you copy that entry to another.)
- Back (Arrow pointing left. Returns you to the previous screen.)

<b>Wi-Fi Mode</b> (When first connecting you'll be asked to register the card to your DS. This is required to get your Friend Code. Top answer is yes, bottom no. Selecting yes connects you briefly, gets your friend code, then disconnects you. Reconnecting after that for now on brings you to the standard menu. You only have to register your card once and after that it's registered under any characters you use.)
<b>Lobby</b> (Here you can put together a team from your Friend List or chat.)
- Lobby Chat (Lets you enter chat mode with your selected party before starting the game.)
- Friend List (Allows you to form a party from your Friend List of players online.)
<b>Free-Mode</b> (Brings you to a menu that lets you search for other players meeting your search settings. Note when under Free-Mode it pairs you up with available players under your search settings. Under this mode you can't use selected players)
- Difficulty (Normal, Hard, Very Hard? Search for players under a specific difficulty.)
- Areas (Lets you choose from a list of areas a player currently has available. I can't be sure on this one.)
- Accept (Longer button with two japanese characters on it. Begin search for available players.)
<b>Solo-Mode</b> (Takes you directly into a game. Here you can invite others into your party from the quest counter.)

<b>CITY SERVICES</b> (On the mini-map you'll find 3 rectangular shops. The two in the upper left corner are the item and arms shops. Between them is a cat and to the right is a tent with a strange fellow, possibly the tekker if it exists in PSZ. Going north enters the building with the quest counter, storage, principal, and warp pad.)
<b>Item Dealer</b> (Girl dressed in pink by her cart. Here you'll find HP/PP healing items, antidotes, antiparalysis, telepipes, and traps for androids. Top one option is to buy, bottom is to sell.)
<b>Arms Dealer</b> (Bearded man wearing red. The top option is to buy, bottom is to sell. Under the buy option you have weapons, armor, and lastly, units.)
<b>Cat</b> (On a barrel between the shops. Unsure of exactly what this is for, but pressing the A button when targeting it makes your character pet it. Its actions can range between a happy meow to an angry growl. As of writing this it only growled at me when I was in an online game with the other as leader.)
<b>Tekker?</b> (Near a tent on the right-side of the mini-map. As of now I'm not sure what this strange fellow does but I can only assume if an unknown item is ever found within the game this could be for identifying them. In the original PSO titles sometimes an item marked as SPECIAL WEAPON or as ??? was found. Taking it to a tekker and paying the fee allowed the player to discover what it was and any hidden special abilities. Its attributes could change varying from tekker to tekker.)
<b>Principal?</b> (Door located on the right of the mini-map upon entering the building from the city. This is only used in the offline Story Mode being that you may need to speak with him to progress the story.)
<b>Storage</b> (Girl dressed in blue, upper left of mini-map inside building. Speaking with her gives several options.)
- Character Storage (Store items and Meseta under your current character.)
-- Store Items
-- Take Items
-- Store Meseta (Money)
-- Take Meseta (Money)
- Card Storage (Under this option you can store and trade items amongst your characters on your card.)
-- Store Items
-- Take Items
-- Store Meseta (Money)
-- Take Meseta (Money)
- Trade (While I can't confirm this option as it's unavailable offline and in Free-Mode this is likely for trading items/money between players in your party.)
- Statistics (I won't go into details here but it's available offline and online. Here you can view various statistics including how many monsters you've defeated, view what they look like, view how many weapons you've found, what they look like. All data seems to be shared amongst all characters on your card.)
<b>Quest Counter</b> (Green-haired girl wearing brown vest. You can pick up side-quests and story quests here. When in online mode, you can use it to invite players from your Friend List into your party.)
- Friend List (Online modes only. View your Friend List and invite players from it into your current party. I haven't used this so may be wrong.)
- Quests (Gives a list of available quests in areas you've previously cleared in Story Mode.)
- Story Quests (In addition to replaying previously cleared quests, you can pick up the next Story Mode quest here too.)
Warp Gate (Upon entering the building, head straight north. The gate is in the center surrounded by giant red icons on the ground. Upon choosing a quest/story quest selecting the gate will teleport you to the field for that area.)

<b>Store Item List</b> (This is a rough idea of what each item is in the Store Items. These may or may not be the actual names as I'm going by their names in the standard PSO series.)
- Monomate (Cures a small percentage of your HP.) (Price: 50M)
- Dimate (Cures a moderate percentage of your HP.) Price: 500M)
- Trimate (Cures all your HP.) (Price: 2500M)
- Monofluid (Cures a small percentage of your PP.) (Price: 100M)
- Difluid (Cures a moderate percentage of your PP.) (Price: 1000M)
- Trifluid (Cures all your PP.) (Price: ???)
- Sol Atomizer (Cures all status aliments.) (Price: 50M)
- Moon Atomizer (Revives a fallen ally in battle.) (Price: 300M)
- Star Atomizer (Cures all HP/aliments of all party members.) (Price: 1200M)
- Telepipe (Creates a gate back to the city.) (Price: 100M)

(Any items in this list thereafter are either Technique discs for use by Newmans/Humans or traps for use by Androids. When viewing a Tech disc in the item store selection you will notice a LV? in their name, the ? being a certain number. Those are Tech discs. To find out if you have that spell already or a higher level, view the box that appears at the top of the lower screen. If you know that spell already it'll have it listed above with LV? in the name, again the ? being the current level number. As for traps, all traps should sell for about 50M making it easy to find those.)
(More to come as I add.)

SamusKnight2K

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I said I don't really speak Japanese so any translations I tried I'd have to do using my own terms. But hopefully this should help those who are confused as to what option does what for this great game.

SamusKnight2K

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vampire Hunter D said:
Kanji aside I could translate with a little work, but with it out in not much time stateside why bother?

How can we be sure it's gonna be out over here soon? I think the Spring of '09 is mere speculation. Last I recall there was no set date or period for the US release.

Flameburst

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know what to do with the Photon Blast bar in the top left corner?

P.S.Does anyone know how to get more quests for multiplayer? I only have 3 and i've gone through them already a lot..

iPikachu

C3's personal flamebot and fail artist
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
great game
yaynds.gif
i dont know jap but the game doesnt really have any language barrier

Disturbed1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
March is actually the release date set for the PSP version, but I wouldn't doubt that Sega is working on localizing this one as well.

Treflex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Flameburst said:
Does anyone know what to do with the Photon Blast bar in the top left corner?

P.S.Does anyone know how to get more quests for multiplayer? I only have 3 and i've gone through them already a lot..
To use a photon blast, you have to hold down L + R, and possibly X, aim, then let go of L and R. I say possibly because I was just messing around with buttons then I accidentally used my photon blast. Now I press X just in case, but I'm not sure xP

edit: By the way, if you remember in psogc there was a small menu for equipping items when you press R and on the controller, well in PS0 you press R and Start together. Not as convenient cause you can't move around, but it's still quicker than the normal way.

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vampire Hunter D said:
I remember something about March on this one, but hell it could slide.
lol, I think you're talking about Phantasy Star Portable. That comes out in US March. This game, however, hasn't even been announced for localization. If anything, it probably won't get localized till late 2009 seeing how it took them a couple months after Phantasy Star Portable to get a localization date.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm perhaps so on the PSP as I have one of those and intend to get that game too as the demo seemed to be decent for what I could navigate around within it.

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
boskoe,
it is over the information counter inside the building
talk to the girl on your left wearing blue
choose the 3rd option which have 8 japanese characters (katakana)
the 3rd option normally is dark grey in colour when you are in solo mode

pogo2005

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi wonder if you guys could help.
W
hen I goto make a new character I select all the different hair etc, type in a name & then hit the continue button. I get an option which I'm guessing is 'are you sure you want to create this character' so I hit the yes option...and then the game just stays on the next screen. I can't go forward or back. There's just a message on the bottom screen & my newly created character flexing his pecks on the top screen. HELP!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: hot take: freddy fazbear's pizzeria simulator is peak fnaf