Brazilian PS4 Hack Confirmed Real

ps4.png

A couple weeks ago, folks over at Wololo.net had discovered Brazilian mod chip stores offering pirated retail games for PS4 consoles. Most people cried false, and with some news trickling from Brazilian sources it's becoming more and more likely it's legitimate...and now, a Brazilian news site UOL Jogos, has confirmed the PS4 "hacks" are indeed real!

PLEASE NOTE: AT THIS TIME, THERE IS NO USER-AVAILABLE PS4 HACK. SEE BELOW FOR DETAILS ON HOW THIS "HACK" IS PERFORMED.
The process, as described by Brazilian modchip stores, is close to what we have explained before: a Dump of a “legit” console with a dozen games on it is performed, and copied to the target console. In addition to a copy of the hard drive, it is safe to assume a dump of the NAND/BIOS is performed as well. It seems the dump is performed with the help of a regular raspberry pi, as this had been implied the first time we uncovered this story.

Unfortunately, these methods don't break any encryption on the PS4, so at this time all that's allowed is purely pirated content, no homebrew. Definitely a shame, and it's almost a guarantee Sony will end up fixing these "hacks" soon, but at least it's a start.

:arrow:Source

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Why use a Pi when you can just use some industrial flasher to flash like 10 consoles at a time?
Unless it has to be in the console all the time, in which case there are still better alternatives.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To continue OT: I watched a modded MD video showing Sonic 2 in 50Hz and then in 60Hz. It was unbearable to listen to in 50Hz. So it is not the video format but the frequency (framerate) and how the game was programmed to be timed via it. Too bad the formats hadn't been sorted out back then and came together for a worldwide Pal 60Hz format for the best of both worlds.

Reactions: Margen67

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
To continue OT: I watched a modded MD video showing Sonic 2 in 50Hz and then in 60Hz. It was unbearable to listen to in 50Hz. So it is not the video format but the frequency (framerate) and how the game was programmed to be timed via it. Too bad the formats hadn't been sorted out back then and came together for a worldwide Pal 60Hz format for the best of both worlds.

With emulators running smoothly 8bit and 16bit gen consoles it kinda pointless to hack them.

Tons of numbskulls here think this piece of crap is worth £32. Haha @ http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/sega-megadrive-wireless-games-console-60-games-31-99-argos-2205867

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
any videos of this thingy in action. i cant be assed to read everyone's comments that dont have any info in at all. but i did see someone saying this is just game sharing???? and to the people that are saying "its not worth hacking these new console's" just stop yourselfs right know. of course its worth it your tablet can play emulators but it cant play ps2/3/4 games can it????

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, there are a lot of people that just don't want to play emulated games and want a "real" experience with old-style controllers (even though they play on SoC/emulated devices to get their fix). Myself — I don't give much of a crap to have original systems (with the exception of hacking cart-based hardware and making simple flashcarts) as long as emulators can handle the games that I want to play properly and with good controls (DS2/3 preferably).

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Yeah, there are a lot of people that just don't want to play emulated games and want a "real" experience with old-style controllers (even though they play on SoC/emulated devices to get their fix). Myself — I don't give much of a crap to have original systems (with the exception of hacking cart-based hardware and making simple flashcarts) as long as emulators can handle the games that I want to play properly and with good controls (DS2/3 preferably).

DS1/DS2/DS3/DS4 are pretty good for old school games since the D-PAD is in the spot of where the analogue stick should be.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
any videos of this thingy in action. i cant be assed to read everyone's comments that dont have any info in at all. but i did see someone saying this is just game sharing???? and to the people that are saying "its not worth hacking these new console's" just stop yourselfs right know. of course its worth it your tablet can play emulators but it cant play ps2/3/4 games can it????
You read the post that said this is game sharing, but didn't read my post immediately after it, saying that it's not? If you can't be "assed" to do that, then why should we "ass" ourselves for you?

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see how this would lead to "homebrew." This "hack" doesn't break encryption, it only copies the NAND/BIOS of a working console and tricks a second console into thinking it's the first. This doesn't allow users to run unsigned code.
And people said that no one was interested in console hacking. :creep:
Of course people are interested in console hacking. It's just that a very small group of people want stuff that a lot of people don't see the point in. The PS4 can already act as a media center. It's not like a 3DS where the options for that kind of stuff are fairly limited. What homebrew would be "useful" on a PS4 aside from the emulators that work on everything from phones, tablets, PCs, other consoles, Raspberry Pi, etc.?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see how this would lead to "homebrew." This "hack" doesn't break encryption, it only copies the NAND/BIOS of a working console and tricks a second console into thinking it's the first. This doesn't allow users to run unsigned code.

Of course people are interested in console hacking. It's just that a very small group of people want stuff that a lot of people don't see the point in. The PS4 can already act as a media center. It's not like a 3DS where the options for that kind of stuff are fairly limited. What homebrew would be "useful" on a PS4 aside from the emulators that work on everything from phones, tablets, PCs, other consoles, Raspberry Pi, etc.?

Simple, region lock removal.

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Simple, region lock removal.
What region lock? PS4 games are region-free. The only way you'll experience being region locked is if you try to buy a game from outside your region and try to install DLC for it. Since it's a PSN-restriction, and not a console restriction, no simple homebrew will fix that. Even if there was a homebrew method of loading out-of-region DLC, you'd have to obtain the DLC from unofficial sources, ie piracy.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS4 is yet to have a stable quality library of games and this is what they're focusing on? Pirating PS4 games?

It just feels strange that they wouldn't do something better with it like allowing to play emulators, make the Blu-ray inside region free, perhaps allow in some way to play PS1 and PS2 games and so on.

So if someone hacked the Wii U I'd hope they would do something creative rather than just the games.
Hmm I wonder if homebrew allowing you to use the Wii gamepad as a drawing tablet would be possible. I don't have a Wii U so I don't know how well the screen sensitivity is, but it definetly has potential.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Hmm I wonder if homebrew allowing you to use the Wii gamepad as a drawing tablet would be possible. I don't have a Wii U so I don't know how well the screen sensitivity is, but it definetly has potential.
Considering the PS4 doesn't have 2 wifi modules, that seems unlikely.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
What region lock? PS4 games are region-free. The only way you'll experience being region locked is if you try to buy a game from outside your region and try to install DLC for it. Since it's a PSN-restriction, and not a console restriction, no simple homebrew will fix that. Even if there was a homebrew method of loading out-of-region DLC, you'd have to obtain the DLC from unofficial sources, ie piracy.

Not to mention you can have multiple region accounts on one ps4, which makes the whole point moot. If the console in question was a Wii U for example, it'd be a completely different matter. The whole region free was irrelevant for ps3 owners so why would it be relevant for ps4 owners? :unsure:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth: