Bravely Default language switching? And English in JP titles...

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by Waygeek, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Waygeek
    OP

Waygeek GBAtemp Regular

May 14, 2013
    Seoul, Korea
    Hello. Picked up a Japanese N3DS today with Bravely Default: For the Sequel. I heard this release supports the English language. I haven't been able to find a guide online to get that going though. Some articles online suggest its DLC? I'd rather not update the firmware on this unit so hopefully it's already on the cart... anyone know of a guide online? My google-fu is failing me.

Also, I know this title, Pokemon, and Phoenix Wright 1-2-3 support the English language from the JP versions; are there any other known games with this feature?

Thanks in Advance.

2. prowler

prowler Sony

Jul 14, 2009
    Ragol
  3. Waygeek
    OP

Waygeek GBAtemp Regular

May 14, 2013
    Seoul, Korea
    Yes I found that link almost straight away; unfortunately it doesn't actually help as it doesn't show menu navigation to get to the English option...

4. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    i have the game, yes you can change the language, it's not dlc etc.
    if you don't know how to navigate the menus, as in if you do not know any japanese whatsoever... just keep trying :D
    i would be surprised if someone actually made a guide on how to do it.

5. Waygeek
    OP

Waygeek GBAtemp Regular

May 14, 2013
    Seoul, Korea

Why? Plenty on news articles about it last year; plenty of interest.

I'll get one of my Japanese students to do it for me today.

6. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    i mean, it's just how to change the language in a specific game. i would expect most people who buy (import) the game have the ability to change the language.
    if you really need help with it i would have done it this morning but now i don't have my 3ds with me. good that you will get someone to help you though.
    you could just get the english game, but yes if you don't have a flashcart etc and and only have a jp console then there you go, but if you don't know any japanese i think you shouldn't get a japanese console/game. it just seems the easier way.

7. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
  8. Waygeek
    OP

Waygeek GBAtemp Regular

May 14, 2013
    Seoul, Korea

Is everyone on this website twelve years old?

Team... Fail (perfect) if you'd read my post, I clearly state

I did search. For quite a while. And your sarcastic and unhelpful waste of my time didn't provide me one single link I hadn't found by myself. None of them particularly help.

+++

I found the option anyway. For some silly reason you can only do it after the intro of a 'New Game' from the menu. Not from the screen preceeding the intro cut-scene, so you have to watch the cutscene in Japanese. Gotta watch the intro on youtube I suppose.

9. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010

10. Dan_Tsukasa

Dan_Tsukasa GBAtemp Regular

Oct 14, 2014
    Tokyo Japan
    Its in the menu options as you've found, but before that you're forced to watch a few bits, but you can wait a little until you meet Ringabel and rewatch the missed cutscenes via that.

Having it on the main menu would have been more useful though, there are actually options on the main menu screen, but they aren't highlighted well, I believe its Y to get to them, but my memory is bad.

Unfortunately missing the opening cutscene and be confused is the price you pay for buying a JRPG in Japan when you don't know the language.
    That isn't meant to sound like I'm berating you, it is an unfortunate consequence. Interestingly from here you can change language whenever you like, even changing the language of specific scenes (once viewed only) when you go to rewatch them, which is a great option.

11. Waygeek
    OP

Waygeek GBAtemp Regular

May 14, 2013
    Seoul, Korea
    Aye. Good game so far though. People say the game falls apart during the second half; why is that?

12. Dan_Tsukasa

Dan_Tsukasa GBAtemp Regular

Oct 14, 2014
    Tokyo Japan
    Its not really possible to say without ruining the plot honestly.

What a lot of people don't realize however is that by that point in the game those bosses you have to fight are actually quite weak, and you only have to fight 4 in total, people forget this and travel the map fighting tons of optional bosses, which, to be fair to provide some slight story insights, but are, for the most part, rather pointless.