lilman4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-RESOLVED-
Since I now know that it is a contact issue with the M3i Zero and DS Lite, I have ordered a M3 Real and will see if I have better luck with that. I have been using the M3 Simply for years in my DS Lite with no problems so hopefully the M3 Real is built a little better than the M3i Zero.

Thanks for the help guys!

-ORIGINAL POST-
Hi guys,
I just received my m3i zero today from DX and I can't get it to work.

Here is my setup:
DS Lite
m3i zero
8gb class 4 kingston microsd
gba expansion pack

I successfully flashed the m3i with fcore 1.4 and I installed the latest touchpod+sakura combo from gbatemp. When I try to boot up on the m3i, I either:
1) get the normal DS warning screen followed by 2 white screens

lilman4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just tried the m3i zero on my brother's DS Phat and it works perfectly, so it must be a contact issue with my DS Lite. How exactly do I do the paper trick? Is there a way I can permanently affix something to the back of the m3i zero so that I don't have to keep inserting paper?

Also, does the m3 real have this same contact issue with DS Lites? If not then I'll give my bro the m3i zero and order myself a m3 real.

Thanks for the quick reply bluejays.

Magmorph

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The contact issue is all dependent on the card and Ds you have. One M3 Real might have a contact issue and another may not. You can just put some tape on the back of your M3I to make it thicker.

lilman4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For anyone interested,
I just received a M3 Real from realhotstuff.com and it works perfectly with my DS Lite. Woo-hoo! Since I already had the latest sakura installed on the microsd that I was using for the M3i Zero, I just popped the microsd right into the M3 Real. The M3 Real is recognized by my DS Lite every time and I haven't had any issues with freezing.

That M3i Zero from DX seems really flimsy in comparison. I hated that the microsd slot of the M3i Zero wasn't spring loaded so I had to use tweezers every time I wanted to take the microsd out. Is that normal for the M3i Zero? The M3 Real seems more sturdy (like my M3 Simply) and the microsd is spring loaded.

Thanks everyone.

Snorlax

POSTMODERNISM
Trophies
Website
postmodjoel.com
XP
Country
lilman4 said:
That M3i Zero from DX seems really flimsy in comparison. I hated that the microsd slot of the M3i Zero wasn't spring loaded so I had to use tweezers every time I wanted to take the microsd out. Is that normal for the M3i Zero? The M3 Real seems more sturdy (like my M3 Simply) and the microsd is spring loaded.
All of the current M3i Zeros are spring-loaded. Initially, you just have to push the sd-card in further then you normally would, and you should feel it click in. :]
If pushing it in further then you think it should go doesn't work, then you've just got a dodgy spring or something. :/

lilman4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Turtle said:
All of the current M3i Zeros are spring-loaded. Initially, you just have to push the sd-card in further then you normally would, and you should feel it click in. :]
If pushing it in further then you think it should go doesn't work, then you've just got a dodgy spring or something. :/
You're right, the M3i Zero is spring loaded. I didn't notice it before... I'm glad I didn't break my microsd pulling it out with tweezers before
tongue.gif

I still think the M3i Zero is more flimsy than the M3 Real, and it does not work with my DS Lite. I'm just going to give the M3i Zero to my brother since it works ok with his DS Phat (although sometimes it isn't recognized). There is no way I'm going to deal with sending the M3i Zero back to DX.

Snorlax

POSTMODERNISM
Trophies
Website
postmodjoel.com
XP
Country
lilman4 said:
Turtle said:
You're right, the M3i Zero is spring loaded. I didn't notice it before... I'm glad I didn't break my microsd pulling it out with tweezers before
tongue.gif

I still think the M3i Zero is more flimsy than the M3 Real, and it does not work with my DS Lite. I'm just going to give the M3i Zero to my brother since it works ok with his DS Phat (although sometimes it isn't recognized). There is no way I'm going to deal with sending the M3i Zero back to DX.
I wonder how many people do the tweezers thing before realising it's spring-loaded.
I was using tweezers for about a day, before I tried pushing it in further. :3

lilman4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RchUncleSkeleton said:
since most electronic devices that use memory cards are spring loaded I would think this would be obvious but I wouldn't doubt people do the same thing with cameras, cellphones and mp3 players that take external memory.
It was obvious with the M3 Real but not with the M3i Zero. When I would push the microsd into the M3i I couldn't feel any feedback from the spring loader, even when I pushed it almost past where I couldn't see the edge anymore. There is just something not right with the engineering of the M3i Zero. I am loving the M3 Real though...

Mylar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See this thread: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=195608&hl=
QUOTE said:
One thing I want to point out to people who are first using this card, they seem to ship with the spring in a weird "locked for shipping" position.

The first time I put a microsd into any of my zeros I had to push it in much further then I expected, with no spring feeling. the first two I did I panicked and pulled back out with tweezers a few times before I got them in far enough to unlock and engage the spring.

After that, they work exactaly like you would expect a spring loaded slot to feel. A lil springy resistance on it's way in and a clear click-lock push back a smidge feel when they are in place.

Pretty sure thats all you ran into. I wish they mentioned it on the packaging or something.

I've set up 6 zeroes, and they all started the same way, but after you get the spring engaged they work fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro