Hacking Bought used switch, advice needed

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, you mean I can RCM jig with tinfoil just by folding foil over the bottom of my joycon? (As in, just fold and insert or is there a way you need to fold so it lines up better?)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I usually stray away from methods like that because of issues in the past I've seen countless times of someone damaging the joycon pins and not able to charge, or update the joycon firmware or something.
Just search for "foil RCM switch" on YouTube. I understand your reluctance but if you do it right there is very little risk. It's a clean and easy way to get into RCM. I wouldnt recommend it as a permanent solution but it's enough for you to enable autoRCM.

Reactions: stitchxd

stitchxd

Trophies
Website
gnusocial.me
XP
Country
United States
Just search for "foil RCM switch" on YouTube. I understand your reluctance but if you do it right there is very little risk. It's a clean and easy way to get into RCM. I wouldnt recommend it as a permanent solution but it's enough for you to enable autoRCM.

woah that's crazy! The only real risk I see is making the fold too "big" or using cheap foil that breaks very easy. Otherwise it looks viable for sure, even if only to enable AutoRCM.

Reactions: Kafluke

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
@stitchxd

Used the tinfoil method and tegrarcmgui.

No RCM device detected
RCM Device detected
Preset "PAYLOAD_FILE" set to : E:\hekate_ctcaer_4.10.1.bin
Invoking TegraRcmSmash.exe with args : "E:\hekate_ctcaer_4.10.1.bin"
TegraRcmSmash (32bit) 1.2.1-3 by rajkosto
Opened USB device path \\?\usb#vid_0955&pid_7321#6&fd8bc8d&0&3#{aa0dbd45-3117-f331-5c49-76bf65225042}
RCM Device with id 000602030000000C4257446401101062 initialized successfully!
Uploading payload (mezzo size: 92, user size: 121599, total size: 187815, total padded size: 188416)...
Switched to high buffer
Smashing the stack!
Smashed the stack with a 0x0000 byte SETUP request!
Payload successfully injected

Does this mean this switch is patched (and therefore, no cfw possible atm)?

stitchxd

Trophies
Website
gnusocial.me
XP
Country
United States
@stitchxd

No RCM device detected
RCM Device detected
Opened USB device path \\?\usb#vid_0955&pid_7321#6&fd8bc8d&0&3#{aa0dbd45-3117-f331-5c49-76bf65225042}
Uploading payload (mezzo size: 92, user size: 121599, total size: 187815, total padded size: 188416)...
Switched to high buffer
Smashing the stack!

No, in fact it pushed the payload, so the switch is unpatched and ready for CFW!

RE: RCM Device with id 000602030000000C4257446401101062 initialized successfully!
RE: Payload successfully injected

Good luck!

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@stitchxd

No RCM device detected
RCM Device detected
Switched to high buffer
Smashing the stack!

No, in fact it pushed the payload, so the switch is unpatched and ready for CFW!

RE: RCM Device with id 000602030000000C4257446401101062 initialized successfully!

Good luck!
No it is patched because it was smashed with 0x0000 byte stack meaning the payload did nothing.

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar

Good luck!
I'm confused..

Please check point 7.1 and 7.2 in this thread:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/a-defin...atched-or-not-purchases-after-07-2018.512018/

While this is a different method, isnt it essentially the same result? This lead me to believe that the switch is patched?

Oh and, after injecting payload, the screen stayed black. Is that what is supposed to happen?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

No it is patched because it was smashed with 0x0000 byte stack meaning the payload did nothing.
Ah damn, so my suspicions were correct. So this is confirmed to be patched right? I can use it normally?

How do I exit back to normal now? Just hold Power button for 10s, remove the joycon, remove tinfoil, then use it as normal?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah damn, so my suspicions were correct. So this is confirmed to be patched right? I can use it normally?

How do I exit back to normal now? Just hold Power button for 10s, remove the joycon, remove tinfoil, then use it as normal?
Yeah do exactly as you said. If you really want to hack the Switch, buy an unpatched one after checking the serial number. If you cannot buy another console, keep your firmware as low as possible unless its on 8.X in which case you may really need to invest in another console.

Reactions: Madridi

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Yeah do exactly as you said. If you really want to hack the Switch, buy an unpatched one after checking the serial number. If you cannot buy another console, keep your firmware as low as possible unless its on 8.X in which case you may really need to invest in another console.
Thanks but I already have several other switches, including a 1.0. I just havent gotten into the cfw scene yet :)
https://gbatemp.net/threads/bought-used-switch-advice-needed.538465/#post-8635588

So now, I have 2 patched switches. One on 7.0.1, and one on 8.0.1
The 7.0.1 have 2 users on it (Me, and my sister). I am going to give this 8.0.1 to my sister.

Is it possible to transfer 1 user only from the older switch to the newer switch, keeping in mind that one of them is NOT on the latest fw?

stitchxd

Trophies
Website
gnusocial.me
XP
Country
United States
Thanks but I already have several other switches, including a 1.0. I just havent gotten into the cfw scene yet :)
https://gbatemp.net/threads/bought-used-switch-advice-needed.538465/#post-8635588

The 7.0.1 have 2 users on it (Me, and my sister). I am going to give this 8.0.1 to my sister.

Is it possible to transfer 1 user only from the older switch to the newer switch, keeping in mind that one of them is NOT on the latest fw?

My apologies! I read the comment wrong.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Uh...not quite sure actually. I guess there is no harm in trying; if it works, it works and if it doesn't...well hopefully there isn't any hidden system update messages.

ch4chi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, apologies I dont mean to highjack your thread, but I'm on a very similar path as you and any help from those that have already commented would be much appreciated.

I have a switch on 7.0.1 and have ran the check in rcm and it is not patched so can be jailbroken. I'm planning on buying the SX OS and injecting it via an android phone app. What do I need to do in the first instance? it's got a clean nand so would like to back it up but unsure how I do it and what I do after that. I just want to make sure I have a clean backup and be able to play downloaded games, have no real desire to play online in the future but want the option of doing so in case it's ever needed with the least chance of getting banned in the process. Thanks in advance

Last edited by ch4chi,

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, apologies I dont mean to highjack your thread, but I'm on a very similar path as you and any help from those that have already commented would be much appreciated.

I have a switch on 7.0.1 and have ran the check in rcm and it is not patched so can be jailbroken. I'm planning on buying the SX OS and injecting it via an android phone app. What do I need to do in the first instance? it's got a clean nand so would like to back it up but unsure how I do it and what I do after that. I just want to make sure I have a clean backup and be able to play downloaded games, have no real desire to play online in the future but want the option of doing so in case it's ever needed with the least chance of getting banned in the process. Thanks in advance
Next steps:

Boot into Hekate
Backup raw nand
Backup boot 0 and boot 1
enable autoRCM
Decide on a CFW to use (I am a day 1 user of SX OS and couldn't be happier with it)
You can use either SX OS, Reinx, or Atmosphere

ch4chi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Next steps:

Boot into Hekate
Backup raw nand
Backup boot 0 and boot 1
enable autoRCM
Decide on a CFW to use (I am a day 1 user of SX OS and couldn't be happier with it)
You can use either SX OS, Reinx, or Atmosphere

Hi thanks for the reply, I've ordered and been sent the SX OS license so have that ready to go and know how to get into rcm mode.

So would the above steps enable me to start using the os and have a clean copy of the original nand in case I ever needed to restore everything back to the original point of a clean ofw 7.0.1 (which is my existing ofw)?

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi thanks for the reply, I've ordered and been sent the SX OS license so have that ready to go and know how to get into rcm mode.

So would the above steps enable me to start using the os and have a clean copy of the original nand in case I ever needed to restore everything back to the original point of a clean ofw 7.0.1 (which is my existing ofw)?
Yes. As long as you backup the nand first thing. Dont even launch SX os yet

LapCheong

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar

LapCheong

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Thanks for the reply. I am fine with the store itself since AliExpress protection is there. I am more concerned about the product itself. Any good?

Ya the product i bought from the link i given previously works as expected as xkit website. The jig is good quality 100% rcm rate.

Cant say so much for the seller you are buying since there is no feedback. I mean most of the rcmloader should come from the same supplier, just spent the extra buck and get it from reputable seller

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Ya the product i bought from the link i given previously works as expected as xkit website. The jig is good quality 100% rcm rate.

Cant say so much for the seller you are buying since there is no feedback. I mean most of the rcmloader should come from the same supplier, just spent the extra buck and get it from reputable seller
I was referring to my link lol. But I don’t see that product from the seller you linked to anyway. Also, I am not just buying one. Buying multiples with shipping considered will significantly add up to the total.

I understand that probably they are more or less the same. I would still feel better with someone with more experience than myself confirming that I can go ahead with it, or even better, have a cheaper link

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.