Bought used 3ds w/gateway - is this normal?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by delt31, Oct 5, 2014.

1. delt31
    OP

delt31 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 6, 2003
    United States
    Followed FAQ and the only thing not working is the blue card showing an icon on the home screen to load and install hack. I put the 2.2 files on the bluecard but nothing is recognized on the 3ds. I can insert the red card and do the profile trick and boot into the gateway menu so is the lack of icon being recognized by 3ds due to the hack already being installed?

I would like to update the software to 2.2 then 2.3b so I wasn't sure if the blue card is necessary anymore since it's been installed already or if I can just step to the red card step?

2. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    It wont work if you already did the profile exploit
    Just restart the 3ds and it will show up, you will have to run the exploit installer again if you want to do the profile explit again though

3. delt31
    OP

delt31 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 6, 2003
    United States
    just to be clear, the profile exploit must have been done already. Now I want to update to 2.3b. Do I need to go through the blue card process again? If so, even if I power off the 3ds and reboot with the blue card in, it's not recognized. A blank box where the icon from the blue card would be is listed only. is this normal? At this point, I just want to try and see if I can get smash and shovel knight to work and right now they both don't but i believe it's b/c I didn't go to 2.3 and emunand 8.1

4. Count Duckula

Count Duckula .

Aug 17, 2008
    If you can launch gateway mode then yeah you can just update to 2.3b with the red card.
    The exploit is a 'corrupt' DS mode profile, so if you run a DS mode game then you will need the blue card to re-install the exploit before you can use gateway again. Running a DS mode game detects the corruption and recreates the profile.

The blue card should show up after a reboot. If you cant get it working then you can use any other DS mode flashcart (that works on a FW 4.5 3DS) to run the GW_INSTALLER.NDS and reinstall the exploit.

Be careful to ensure you update emuNAND not system NAND:)

5. delt31
    OP

delt31 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 6, 2003
    United States
    thanks. so unless I play a DS game on it, the blue card will no longer be recognized right? It's just after I play the ds mode game, i'll need to reinstall the exploit via blue which will now be recognized by the 3ds right?

Also - I can get the profile exploit to work (shows gateway logo) but instead of going into the menu for the gateway it goes back to the menu. I can press select and play a game but how do I get it to keep the gateway menu so I can make the emunand? I did it before (it got into the gateway menu) but now it won't. :(

Thanks!

6. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    Hold L shoulder button when you do the exploit

7. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States

Hold L while launching the DS profile exploit.

8. delt31
    OP

delt31 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 6, 2003
    United States
    nice guys - holding L worked. thanks!

9. Gamemaster1379

Gamemaster1379 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 5, 2008
    United States
    United States
    The blue card will continue to be recognized, however, playing anything in DS mode will erase the exploit, meaning you will need the blue cart in order to re-install it.

Long story short, just don't boot into anything that will ever be in DS mode (which I believe is GBA-ware titles and any DS games (obviously)) and you should be fine.

If you really want to play DS games that badly, it is going to be less of a headache to just find yourself a DS Lite and DS flash cart (You could even use the blue cart, technically speaking).

10. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Why not just play on 3ds and do the hack again takes 2 sec?

11. Gamemaster1379

Gamemaster1379 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 5, 2008
    United States
    United States
    If you happen to separate the blue cart from the unit or don't have it immediately available, then you're SOL with your Gateway being unuseable. Having the two units with their respective carts more or less assures that you will never be swapping carts out (unless to add games to the MicroSDs) and the carts will be indefinitely useable with their respective units without having to do a lot of hotswapping and re-exploitation.

12. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Dont forget updates....