Bought a used Switch with hackable firmware with patchable sn. But I get a "an error has occured" message

Bravestarr

OP
Trophies
Website
marc.tv
XP
Country
Germany
Hi, I get this error when I switch it on. The guy tried to follow some tutorials but gave up and sold it to me. What is the best plan to start from here? Follow the CFW guide from the beginning? Something else i can check?

Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 14.34.21.png

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figured a "well known" level 8 member could Google the error code and come to the correct conclusion. The same threads pop up every time there's an update. I used to write a new book everytime but it's so maddening and redundant. There's hundreds of posts like these. I think it's better for the board to shut them down.
Post automatically merged:

format SD and do hekate+ATM from scratch with latest version
Kinda bad advice. No need to format unless they are on ExFat. If there's an EmuNAND, you lose it. If there's software, you lose it. Best to try updating your Atmo install, sig patches, hekate or fusè.. unless you're sure there's nothing there.

Another reason not to start a new thread on this, incomplete or bad advice. Go with the established threads. Just search that error.

Last edited by mikefor20,

Illuminaticy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yall spend more time shitting on OP then it would to tell them the solution.
Delete 0100000000001000 folder.
This is a theme, themes break with some firmware updates, making you unable to full boot.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Check to see if you have a 0100000000001000 folder.
Check for SD:/atmosphere/ contents/0100000000001000 most likely culprit
Post automatically merged:

Yall spend more time shitting on OP then it would to tell them the solution.
Delete 0100000000001000 folder.
This is a theme, themes break with some firmware updates, making you unable to full boot.
People need to search. It's a good lesson to teach. Now the OP is better suited to find a solution on their own and we're all less likely to have another thread like this next time ninty updates. It's not shitting on someone when you treat them like an intelligent adult instead of coddling them like a retarded child.

Damn bubble wrapped millennials. You wouldn't have survived the 80s.

Besides, both responses were missing the full path. Next thing would be "I don't have that folder" because the OP would be looking on the root of the SD.

Incomplete incorrect responses. Just search an established thread.

Last edited by mikefor20,
Reactions: xoINARIox

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
2144-0001 error is a bit of a trick one, often it's something broken with an important file (as in on the sd card)

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING HERE, do you own a "jig" to enter RCM?

Mostly it's a broken Atmosphere install. So honestly, since you just bought it from someone. Start "fresh". Format the SD Card to FAT32 with GUIFormat. (yes they haven't updated their https cert, just click continue and click the big image).

Put in your SD Card, format it with GUIformat.

Before you follow the guide, make sure you know what kind of Switch it is. Is it' a v1? Is it a modchipped one?
Once you know follow the guide - https://rentry.org/SwitchHackingIsEasy

Reactions: Bravestarr

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2144-0001 error is a bit of a trick one, often it's something broken with an important file (as in on the sd card)

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING HERE, do you own a "jig" to enter RCM?

Mostly it's a broken Atmosphere install. So honestly, since you just bought it from someone. Start "fresh". Format the SD Card to FAT32 with GUIFormat. (yes they haven't updated their https cert, just click continue and click the big image).

Put in your SD Card, format it with GUIformat.

Before you follow the guide, make sure you know what kind of Switch it is. Is it' a v1? Is it a modchipped one?
Once you know follow the guide - https://rentry.org/SwitchHackingIsEasy
It's ridiculous to format if you dont know whats there. May have a bunch of great games. Try deleting the offending plugin. Then you can at least dump the games. Saves you from having to aquire them..besides starting fresh is time consuming, formatting puts wear and tear on the SD and it all might be fine after removing the theme.

Just my honest opinion.

Last edited by linuxares,

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
It's ridiculous to format if you dont know whats there. May have a bunch of great games. Try deleting the offending plugin. Then you can at least dump the games. Saves you from having to aquire them..besides starting fresh is time consuming, formatting puts wear and tear on the SD and it all might be fine after removing the theme.

Just my honest opinion.
Just start fresh so you know what you have is better imho. No need to keep old junk :P

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Perfect!
I would suggest you go to this step then :)

https://rentry.org/EristaEmuNAND
I would still just delete the folder. You could then see whats up. I love snooping through the old stuff. From there you can still start new. Once you format everything is gone.

GUIFORMAT is okay but I prefer Panasonic SD Formatter over GUI. It is the standard.

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I would still just delete the folder. You could then see whats up. I love snooping through the old stuff. From there you can still start new. Once you format everything is gone.

GUIFORMAT is okay but I prefer Panasonic SD Formatter over GUI. It is the standard.
I just see the firmware is 11 so it's most likely nothing of value that is all.

Yeah both works fine. I just suggest guiformat since it does the job fast and easy.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just see the firmware is 11 so it's most likely nothing of value that is all.

Yeah both works fine. I just suggest guiformat since it does the job fast and easy.
It's just easier, from a legal standpoint, to dump/play the existing stuff first. The original owner might have something entertaining there too. I remember renting games BITD and finding... creative user names on the game, for example. It was worth a look to me. I've repaired and restored many systems and computers. I always love seeing stuff they thought no one would ever see.

And agreed both are fine but Panasonic is the industry standard not just the scene. So I go that route

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had that i don't think