Bortzy's Sketch Book

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hey guys, I know this section doesn't get alot of love, so im posting some of my sketches here. The black and whites are uh, ones that ive taken more time with and end up looking a bit more professional. The color ones are from my IDGAF (i dont give a fuck) notebook. I plan to do alot more of those.
gallery_109594_291_257327.png

Omg he's :wub:
Please do more <3

Reactions: BortzANATOR

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Draw me like one of your French girls, Bortz!

AE62F374858EE22DCE49F78A4940_h316_w628_m4_cWqWPGUdK.jpg

Seriously, though, these are pretty great. As someone who can't draw for his life, consider me envious.

ouch123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to make a guess here but... I am assuming you normally draw from life, right? Judging from what you've uploaded, this appears to be the case. If so, then I'd like to note that when drawing, you shouldn't think about what you're drawing as shapes or forms (or even objects). Instead, think of them as sources of reflections and sources of light. I know this probably sounds a little strange, but getting into this mode of thinking early on in your drawing career can be extremely helpful later on, when you find that you're capable of capturing forms very accurately, but feel that something is 'missing' from what you're drawing (or painting or what have you). Incidentally, speed sketching is a great way to practice this mindset, since it ensures that you won't be able to capture the form of what you're drawing, and forces you to focus on its essence instead. Go ahead and give it a shot (the mindset, not necessarily the speed sketching, though I do recommend trying it at least once) and please post back what you come up with. I look forward to seeing your work.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While i appreciate your words, these are mostly from my idgaf notebook (I dont give a fuck) they are exercises to get me simply to draw again. Maybe I will have time to practice some of your thoeries sometime, but right now i have a full time job and i just want to keep myself drawing after college.

ouch123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
? I hope I didn't accidentally imply that your work is bad, as that wasn't my intent. I was mostly noticing that you have good technical skill (such as with that owl drawing above) but that the drawings you do that are less realistic / technical (I'm guessing from your IDGAF book) feel like the lighting is oversimplified. In particular, it looks like you're lighting each object individually instead of considering them as a whole or their interactions with each other. It's an issue similar to how many artists can draw the human form very well from life, but don't understand the underlying anatomy, which makes drawing from the imagination much more difficult, except with light instead of mass. Anyway, I do enjoy seeing your work (that's why I said I'd be looking forward to seeing more of it!) and I hope you keep drawing - art is a wonderful thing to have as a part of your life, even if only a small part.

Incidentally, here's a good video discussing thinking about painting (though this applies to any medium) in terms of light instead of mass, if you're interested:

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Naw dude its cool :D I appreciate it.
I know my stuff isnt realistic looking. Ive taken alot of time to make sure it doesnt. Btw i hate painting lol But ill keep drawing.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The IGBT gate drivers I was testing last night started passing... So that gave me time to draw this.
tumblr_mehdqeZ63x1rbr0hto1_500.jpg

Sometimes I like to imagine what class my friends would be if we were all in a tactics game. This one? Soul collector. Weapon class: sythe. Skill tree: soul control

Ethevion

Wannabe Artist
Trophies
Website
www.lvlupart.com
XP
Country
Canada
His iPod screen is broken!
Whenever I draw characters like this and give them weapons and skills and such I always think how I should have went into game design. I could have made the coolest game ever full of loose ends and probably a terrible story lol. Do you ever think like that?

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
His iPod screen is broken!
Whenever I draw characters like this and give them weapons and skills and such I always think how I should have went into game design. I could have made the coolest game ever full of loose ends and probably a terrible story lol. Do you ever think like that?
EVERY. DAMN. TIME.

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: what annoys me is my server has 2.5g but i have nothing else that does