Hacking BootMii vs Preloader?

dimmujed

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are the pros and cons (if any) of both? Can you use both, at the same time? Would you want to? Which is better in your opinion? Etc.

discuss

D

Deleted-171178

Bootmii for wii's with vulnerable Boot1, Preloader for ones without...at the moment.

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have installed them both, Preloader to load system menu, and power off just normal. (like stealth.) So I still have the System menu Hacks.

And BootMii installed. for brick protection too.
smile.gif

'That is just Ultimate.

sorgelig

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
yeah, bootmii can not replace preloader just because it can not do anything without SD card in slot.
Preloader is mostly for system menu hacks and autoloading for choosen file/hbc (without SD card unlike bootmii). Using GC controller to navigate bootmii menu is another prevention of using bootmii for anything except brick protection.
may be in future, bootmii will become mature and will provide enough features to replace preloader, but currently it's only for one single thing - brick protection.
Bootmii pretty much useless if you have will with new boot1.

One my wii has old boot1 and thus protected from bricks, so i can experiment with it freely. Another wii has new boot1 and will receive changes only after testing on first wii.

And don't forget, that even bootmii doesn't provide 100% brick proof. I believe that all next nintendo updates will include boot2 update which will remove bootmii
wink.gif
So, main rule still the same - NEVER UPDATE BY STANDARD WIFI UPDATE FROM NINTENDO.

Chaotic Meow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I loved Preloader because it had some nice SysMenu modifications, such as disabling the health warning screen, and I could autorun Homebrew Browser (I like to check it often for anything new). I just installed BootMii today, and while I do miss some of the things Preloader had, and I've noticed the slightly longer boot time for the Wii when I don't have an SD Card popped in, I personally think BootMii is better. Not to mention the ability to completely make backups of your NAND and restore them whenever is pretty damn useful.

YellowYoYos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chaotic Meow said:
I loved Preloader because it had some nice SysMenu modifications, such as disabling the health warning screen, and I could autorun Homebrew Browser (I like to check it often for anything new). I just installed BootMii today, and while I do miss some of the things Preloader had, and I've noticed the slightly longer boot time for the Wii when I don't have an SD Card popped in, I personally think BootMii is better. Not to mention the ability to completely make backups of your NAND and restore them whenever is pretty damn useful.
Indeed BootMii and preloader 0.29 works perfectly together.

Chaotic Meow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YellowYoYos said:
Chaotic Meow said:
Indeed BootMii and preloader 0.29 works perfectly together.

I still have to reinstall Preloader, though. I "downgraded" to 3.2, and I kept having all my homebrew throw exceptions and yell at me, and so I updated to 4.0 and Bannerbomb'd, and lost it in the process.

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i got bootmii with startpatch for hacks instead of preloader.
and if you don't like how long bootmii takes to start just remove the bootmii folder from your sd card and put it somewhere safe on your computer the wii boots like normal then, and if bootmii is ever need to fix a brick just throw the folder back on your sd card.

rwilts

Trophies
XP
Country
yea,

I have now set up a separate sd card with a back up of my nand and the bootmii folder and put is in a draw. I will carry on using preloader .

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have both installed
bootmii as boot2 and set to autoboot to system menu
then preloader kicks in and instead of loading the system menu, it will start the usb loader

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi