Hacking BootMii? Convince Me!

squablo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BootMii looks really nice, but Im a little confused/concerned about the whole process. This is the story of my wii, and I love the idea of being 'brick proof' but I have some concerns, so here goes:

-Launch Wii
-Twilight Hack installed
-Installed original Homebrew channel on release
-Upgraded only to 3.2 (Never went higher)
-Only ever really installed a few Wads (less than 10) and always deleted with Wad Manager and never thru data management
-Bought Madworld on release, prompted for update, so to bypass, installed softmii package (with preloader 0.28, cIOSCorp, cIOS rev 9,etc)
-Installed cIOS rev 10 and all other things as instructed in the guide for wani's upgrader to 4.0
-Upgraded to 4.0U with wani's updater, which wiped out preloader, etc.
-Did the patch to gain full use of SD features
-Current state

I really dont like installing wads, not even forwarders, and right now only have 2 on my system, and a few on my SD card. I dont really like messing with the NAND at all, and I see way too many threads on here about people bricking their wiis, so here are my reasons for wanting to upgrade with BootMii

1. Brick proof with NAND backup
2. New homebrew channel version with usb support
3. Interface looks pretty nice
4. Just bought Punch Out, and would like to be able to play it from the disc channel. BootMii would allow me to backup my NAND before doing the system update on the disc, and if things went wrong with the update (Nintendo breaking my setup by slipping something in the update) then I could go back with BootMii, correct?

concerns

1. Not being able to uninstall it
2. Possible brick during install? (paranoid about extra stuff that my be laying in my system from preloader, or wad installs, etc)
3. Currently using a SDHC 8GB card, but new homebrew channel doesnt read SDHC, correct?

So here we are. Should I install? If so, how should I prep my wii in order to have the most clean, best NAND backup? Should I wait for the next release? Or, should I just keep things the way they currently are.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just do it. If it can't install for some reason it'll tell you. The thing's made so that it won't screw up and cause a brick.

There's no uninstaller at the moment, but if you take the BootMii files off of your SD Card it'll be like it's not even there.

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
you cannot uninstall it yet
QUOTE said:
Please do not install BootMii unless you have been following our blog for a while and know what IOS is, what boot1 and boot2 are, etc. If you’re curious, you can try anyway, but if you can’t figure out how to work this thing you should probably wait for a future beta. We really don’t want to see epic threads with “tips” on installing — this thing is supposed to be self-explanatory, and if it won’t install for you, that’s a bug we need to fix.
ill have to say that you should wait for future release

i think that this beta is just for devs so that they could betatest programs on theri wii without the worry of bricks
and others just wait till it develops to a better build that may have more features

but what the heck, you have a launch wii, install bootmii as boot2

SenorClean

Trophies
XP
Country
It seems a bit loopy to trust installing softmii and all that crap more than just updating.... If you have cIOS, there's no reason to be afraid of real 4.0 - especially now bannerbomb is on the way.

I'd install it, and keep a backup of your NAND safe.

ToneEQ

Trophies
XP
Country
squablo said:
So here we are. Should I install? If so, how should I prep my wii in order to have the most clean, best NAND backup? Should I wait for the next release? Or, should I just keep things the way they currently are.

If you do decide to install it, I wouldn't worry about cleaning your system. You haven't downgraded etc so as long as it's all working as it should then do a NAND backup for extra peace of mind, it'll be good if you do screw up at any point. If you have a SDHC card then wait for the SDHC bug to be fixed/tested and a new version released.

Works fine with preloader BTW.

Wiisel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
you should make a dump after installing Bootmii and if you want to clean up the wii backup that dump on pc then clean up and do another that way you have one to fall back on if you mess up whilst having a cleanup.

you can also do a fs dump or use wanins wad maker to dump HBC 1.0.1 give it another ID and have both versions installed.

or just dont do the update for HBC since thats a seperate option in the installer.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You can install the new HBC without installing BootMii. But you should wait for the next release which will include a great SDHC fix*.

The brick danger by installing BootMii as boot2 is low, and when it's once done and you made a nand backup, you are brick proof as long as you don't let nintendo update(maybe even then, but if nintendo updates boot2, BootMii boot2 would be overwritten).

*I heard from svpe at #wiidev, that all sdhc cards working with the 4.0 system menu, should work with the new HBC when it uses IOS61(when 4.0 is installed before HBC installation)

squablo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for the replies guys, still not sure what to do here though....gonna think it over a few times throughout the day.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
should have called the thread BootMii? Convince mii
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: So are you playing Mario on your Xbox online on that PlayStation Network? +1