Tutorial  Updated

Booting GW with B9S (and some help)

Important:
This workaround will work if you have a sys/emuNand with <= 11.2.
11.3+ are currently NOT supported by Gateway itself!

Also, I advise against a sysNand-only setup with GW.

For better/clearer instructions please follow the updated Guide by @Temptress Cerise - https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-gateway-on-b9s.431691/

For the GW Uses out there, theres a possibility to boot the Gateway Card without having to wait for an update (that would only be faster..), so here's a workaround:

1. )
Follow the Steps on Using Luma3DS with Gateway on v2 A9LH

2.)
Get the dev Version from BootCTR9 for BS9 and extract the .firm-file to the luma/payloads folder, rename it to bootctr9.firm

3.)
Make Sure the down_v2gw.bin and the gateway.bin are also within the luma/payloads folder

4.)
Change the boot_config.ini from BootCTR9 to boot the down_v2gw.bin , for example as DEFAULT-Entry, to start automatically the GW-loader:

Code:
[DEFAULT]
path = luma/payloads/down_v2gw.bin
delay = 1000

5.)
Start 3DS and go to LUMA-Chainloader (Holding START at boot), choose your bootctr9 -> wait.

6.)
Enjoy GW again ^^.

EDIT:
- Add Disclaimer for 11.3+
- Link to @Temptress Cerise updated Guide with my instructions, but better written xD
- Add B9S 1.2 compatible release-post of BootCtr9 ( June, 6, 2017)

Last edited by nedron92,

Waywatcher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Unless your SysNAND is below 11.2 (those are bootable in Gateway SysNAND Mode), then you're screwed until Gateway comes out with 11.4 support or if you have an old NAND backup that you can use to create a Gateway Mode EmuNAND

Thanks for the info! It would have been nice to transfer my old saves, but I will probably not play those games again so it's not such a big loss.

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
You could always make an emuNAND and ctrtransfer it to 11.2.
Is a CTRtransfer image that easy to come by? I was under the impression that the two previously used in 3ds.guide had been specially engineered and that it wasn't something you just easily found for any firmware. But if I'm wrong, great!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Is a CTRtransfer image that easy to come by? I was under the impression that the two previously used in 3ds.guide had been specially engineered and that it wasn't something you just easily found for any firmware. But if I'm wrong, great!
3Down has 11.2 ctrtransfer images for both o3DS and n3DS.
And no, I believe you can make a ctrtransfer image with Decrypt9 (possibly GodMode9 too)

slyboogy27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a sysNAND-only setup (not sure if I have a emuNAND set up?) I'm currently on the original cosmo black 3DS, with firm-ware "Sys 11.2.0-35U." I'm running A9LH with Gateway 3DS ULTRA v4.2 installed to run right off my internal SD card. I'm wondering is it worth updating to Boot9Strap if all I'm doing is ripping 3DS cartridges and playing them through Gateway? I'm not looking to go online at all (EVER). Please get back to me, I hope I've been thorough with my explanation of what I want out of my 3DS and how I intend to keep using it. I guess my real question is should I install Boot9Strap? I've heard it's the new "norm" for running games off of, I really have no idea what to do. I want all the features I have currently and want to be as updated as I can for newer games. But it seems the 3DS is releasing less and less so I'm wondering is it even worth it to upgrade? Get back to me please, as you can tell I don't really know what I'm talking about and kinda just do what I'm advised to do, but have the mind to keep something I know that works, so give me your opinion. Thanks.

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I have a sysNAND-only setup (not sure if I have a emuNAND set up?) I'm currently on the original cosmo black 3DS, with firm-ware "Sys 11.2.0-35U." I'm running A9LH with Gateway 3DS ULTRA v4.2 installed to run right off my internal SD card. I'm wondering is it worth updating to Boot9Strap if all I'm doing is ripping 3DS cartridges and playing them through Gateway? I'm not looking to go online at all (EVER). Please get back to me, I hope I've been thorough with my explanation of what I want out of my 3DS and how I intend to keep using it. I guess my real question is should I install Boot9Strap? I've heard it's the new "norm" for running games off of, I really have no idea what to do. I want all the features I have currently and want to be as updated as I can for newer games. But it seems the 3DS is releasing less and less so I'm wondering is it even worth it to upgrade? Get back to me please, as you can tell I don't really know what I'm talking about and kinda just do what I'm advised to do, but have the mind to keep something I know that works, so give me your opinion. Thanks.
Does the "Sys 11.2" appear even when you're in Gateway Mode? I thought that was a Luma thing. Besides, do you have to press a 3-key combination every time you go into Gateway mode? It asks for it when you boot up a SysNAND in Gateway mode. What you seem to be descriibing is an A9LH setup with Luma 3DS running on SysNAND and Gateway running on EmuNAND, both on 9.2. And I was under the impression you couldn't boot Gateway mode from CTRNAND, only from your actual SD card. Or is that what you mean by "Internal" SD card (as opposed to the Gateway Micro SD)?

Reactions: slyboogy27

slyboogy27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The "Sys" doesn't show up when booted into Gateway mode. This is the message I receive when I press down on the D-Pad while booting up my 3DS.
Booting GW FASTBOOT: SYSNAND
You want to boot GW FASTBOOT: SYSNAND?
Press L+R+SELECT to continue.
System Settings upon opening them up in Gateway mode
"Ver. 11.2.0-35U"
No "Sys" infront.
I'm booting Gateway from my SD card. The Gateway microSD card just has games on it.

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The "Sys" doesn't show up when booted into Gateway mode. This is the message I receive when I press down on the D-Pad while booting up my 3DS.
Booting GW FASTBOOT: SYSNAND
You want to boot GW FASTBOOT: SYSNAND?
Press L+R+SELECT to continue.
System Settings upon opening them up in Gateway mode
"Ver. 11.2.0-35U"
No "Sys" infront.
I'm booting Gateway from my SD card. The Gateway microSD card just has games on it.
That means you have a 11.2 SysNAND-only setup with Luma (no buttons) and Gateway (down). The best option you currently have for keeping both is as follows:
1 - Make a SysNAND Backup
2 - Backup everything in your SD card, including that SysNAND backup
3 - Create a Gateway-style EmuNAND partition on your SD card with EmuNAND9/Decrypt9WIP/GodMode9
4 - Clone SysNAND to EmuNAND or restore your backup made in 1 to EmuNAND
5 - Restore your files to the SD card
6 - Update to B9S and Luma 8.0 usind 3ds.guide
7 - Update your SysNAND to 11.4
8 - Follow this thread's tutorial to boot Gateway EmuNAND, which should still be on 11.2, using B9S (I use a slightly different config file that makes boot time a little faster, I can put it here if you want me to)
9 - If you accidentally update the Gateway EmuNAND, that's what the backup made in 1 is for :P

Last edited by Shady Guy Jose,

slyboogy27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Questions:
1 - How?
2 - Easy enough lol
3 - You mean make the folders EmuNAND9/Decrypt9WIP/GodMode9 inside one another and leave the "GodMode9" folder empty?
(I'm assuming you mean my SD card in the 3DS not the Gateway correct? the big SD card not the micro right?)
4 - How do I clone? / restore?
5 - Easy enough lol
6 - I will follow that tutorial to a T once I get there this one right? (https://3ds.guide/a9lh-to-b9s)
7 - Update? Really? All the way to SysNAND 11.4? I guess it will work because gateway will still be on 11.2? Do I just do a system update? (while in SysNAND - which is regular mode right, non Gateway?)
8 - I will follow the tutorial to a T once I get there. Like I previously said 11.2 will still be used so I can boot into Gateway (hopefully through your guidance)
9 - I don't know how to restore a backup lol if you didn't get that already from number 4 haha
As you can tell I don't really understand the modding that takes place here I just do my best to achieve what I want.
Thank you for taking the time out of your day to help me. Nothing excites me more than a good mod, I just wish there was
an idiots guide to 3DS hacking, you see I'm big on PSP modification not 3DS or practically anything else.
I'm known as BigDaddyWeaves on big forums like endlessparadigm.com

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
1 - Using EmuNAND9/Decrypt9WIP/GodMode9, they all do this.
3 - No. I mean creating an EmuNAND (Gateway-style, since there are several other styles) on your SD card using EmuNAND9/Decrypt9WIP/GodMode9 (see 1)
4 - See 1/3
6 - Yup
7 - Yes. All the way to SysNAND 11.4, since Luma3DS supports it. SysNAND is "regular mode", as in the regular NAND in your console. But it's hacked as well, with A9LH and Luma3DS 6.0, probably (B9S and Luma 8.0 when you update).
9 - See 1/3/4
NOTE: When creating an EmuNAND, I think the program automatically clones your SysNAND to it. Since your SysNAND is in the desired version for your future EmuNAND, this means step 4 may be skippable.

slyboogy27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1 - I'm gonna use EmuNAND9 to do the work. Do I just have to put the files on my SD card and run them? (I'm a little confused at how homebrew works as I've only used homebrew on PSP's before)
3 - Gateway style meaning booting into Gateway then running EmuNAND9, Decrypt9WIP or GodMode9?
NOTE: I'll be SURE to make a backup of EVERYTHING. I know that's probably the most important step.
Talk with you more tomorrow (hopefully you can address the few remaining problems I have listed above today so I can start my work tomorrow)
I'll message you if I have any trouble.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

7 - I know I asked this before but I just wanna make sure, when I update to 11.4 I go in under the settings and choose System Update? (In non-Gateway mode?)

slyboogy27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Follow these guidelines/tutorial to boot Gateway EmuNAND??:

1. )
Follow the Steps on Using Luma3DS with Gateway on v2 A9LH

2.)
Get the dev Version from BootCTR9 for BS9 and extract the .firm-file to the luma/payloads folder, rename it to bootctr9.firm

3.)
Make Sure the down_v2gw.bin and the gateway.bin are also within the luma/payloads folder

4.)
Change the boot_config.ini from BootCTR9 to boot the down_v2gw.bin , for example as DEFAULT-Entry, to start automatically the GW-loader:

Code:
[DEFAULT]
path = luma/payloads/down_v2gw.bin
delay = 1000
5.)
Start 3DS and go to LUMA-Chainloader (Holding START at boot), choose your bootctr9 -> wait.

6.)
Enjoy GW again ^^.

Or can I follow
[Tutorial] Using Luma3DS + Gateway on B9S
by Temptress Cerise Jun 20, 2016 at 9:10 PM

Maq47

Lord of Pyro
Trophies
Website
idont.have.one
XP
Country
United States
1 - I'm gonna use EmuNAND9 to do the work. Do I just have to put the files on my SD card and run them? (I'm a little confused at how homebrew works as I've only used homebrew on PSP's before)
3 - Gateway style meaning booting into Gateway then running EmuNAND9, Decrypt9WIP or GodMode9?
NOTE: I'll be SURE to make a backup of EVERYTHING. I know that's probably the most important step.
Talk with you more tomorrow (hopefully you can address the few remaining problems I have listed above today so I can start my work tomorrow)
I'll message you if I have any trouble.

7 - I know I asked this before but I just wanna make sure, when I update to 11.4 I go in under the settings and choose System Update? (In non-Gateway mode?)

EmuNAND9 is discontinued. Use GodMode9.
Extract GodMode9.bin inside the GodMode9-20170531-232521.zip file to /luma/payloads/ on your 3ds SD card (not the Gateway SD), then rename it to left_GodMode9.bin. Then hold left on the dpad when booting your system to launch GodMode9.

3 - There's more than one way that an emuNAND can be formatted. Gateway uses its own proprietary format, so you'll need to format your emuNAND using GodMode9 for Gateway usage explicitly.

7 - Yes, or you could use the SysUpdater homebrew app.

slyboogy27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EmuNAND9 is discontinued. Use GodMode9.
Extract GodMode9.bin inside the GodMode9-20170531-232521.zip file to /luma/payloads/ on your 3ds SD card (not the Gateway SD), then rename it to left_GodMode9.bin. Then hold left on the dpad when booting your system to launch GodMode9.

3 - There's more than one way that an emuNAND can be formatted. Gateway uses its own proprietary format, so you'll need to format your emuNAND using GodMode9 for Gateway usage explicitly.

7 - Yes, or you could use the SysUpdater homebrew app.

EmuNAND9 discontinued? No problem I'd be happy to use GodMode9. Thanks for the instructions.
3 - But how on earth do I format an emuNAND (or more specifically Gateway's emuNAND) Do I need to be in Gateway mode running GodMode9?
7 - SysUpdater homebrew app you say? I think I'll stick with just updating through system settings under System Update. (couldn't hurt...could it?) Unless you can tell me which version to use and how to use it?

Last edited by slyboogy27,

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
EmuNAND9 discontinued? No problem I'd be happy to use GodMode9. Thanks for the instructions.
3 - But how on earth do I format an emuNAND (or more specifically Gateway's emuNAND) Do I need to be in Gateway mode running GodMode9?
7 - SysUpdater homebrew app you say? I think I'll stick with just updating through system settings under System Update. (couldn't hurt...could it?) Unless you can tell me which version to use and how to use it?
3 - No, just choose "Gateway EmuNAND" as the desired format when using GodMode9
7 - System update is preferred, actually, when you just want the latest version. The homebrew app is normally for specific updates

slyboogy27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1/2/3 - (1) So Make a SysNAND Backup with GodMode9, (2) then backup everything on my SD card, including that SysNAND backup, then (3) create a Gateway-style EmuNAND partition on my SD card with GodMode9?

Still not sure if I have to do this step
"Clone SysNAND to EmuNAND or restore your backup made in 1 to EmuNAND"
If I do how do I do it? GodMode9?
Also,
(5) of your original instructions
"Restore your files to the SD card"
Wouldn't the files already be already on my SD card?
Sorry a bit lost at that instruction.

Also when I get to this step:
8 - Follow this thread's tutorial to boot Gateway EmuNAND, which should still be on 11.2, using B9S
Can I follow this guide? (I never got an answer just curious as to which is better this post or the one by Temptress):
by Temptress Cerise

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
1/2/3 - (1) So Make a SysNAND Backup with GodMode9, (2) then backup everything on my SD card, including that SysNAND backup, then (3) create a Gateway-style EmuNAND partition on my SD card with GodMode9?

Still not sure if I have to do this step
"Clone SysNAND to EmuNAND or restore your backup made in 1 to EmuNAND"
If I do how do I do it? GodMode9?
Also,
(5) of your original instructions
"Restore your files to the SD card"
Wouldn't the files already be already on my SD card?
Sorry a bit lost at that instruction.

Also when I get to this step:
8 - Follow this thread's tutorial to boot Gateway EmuNAND, which should still be on 11.2, using B9S
Can I follow this guide? (I never got an answer just curious as to which is better this post or the one by Temptress):
by Temptress Cerise
If you need to do that step (probably not), it's with GodMode9.
Backing up and restoring files to SD card is because creating an EmuNAND formats it during the process.
Temptress Cerise's guide is based on this, so it's basically the same.

slyboogy27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which one do I choose for a SysNAND Backup?
SDCARD
SYSNAND CTRNAND
SYSNAND TWLN
SYSNAND TWLP
SYSNAND SD
SYSNAND VIRTUAL
RAMDRIVE
GAMECART
MEMORY VIRTUAL
NAND XORPADS
While we're at it what one do I choose for Gateway-style EmuNAND partition? I see nothing that says Gateway anywhere.

I found this on the GodMode9 Usage page

1. Press (Home) to bring up the action menu
  2. Select “More…”
  3. Select “Backup NAND”
  4. Press (A) to continue
  5. Hold (R) and press (B) at the same time to eject your SD card

Correct?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    haddad @ haddad: anyone online can help me with my new 2ds xl please...