Lord of Pyro
OP
Trophies
Website
idont.have.one
XP
Country
United States
Can't Nintendo nullify the point of using DNS to block their servers by, in a future update, automatically changing DNS to Auto when connecting to their servers if it can't connect as a failsafe? What could be done to mitigate this if it were to happen?

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't Nintendo nullify the point of using DNS to block their servers by, in a future update, automatically changing DNS to Auto when connecting to their servers if it can't connect as a failsafe? What could be done to mitigate this if it were to happen?
It be no point in Nintendo doing that

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo, if I remember correctly, already tried screwing with CFW users by making Airplane Mode sometimes automatically turn off to check for updates, so what's really stopping them from doing this?
Because using alt DNS settings most time is to get the device connected to the internet when the default way would not work

Maq47

Lord of Pyro
OP
Trophies
Website
idont.have.one
XP
Country
United States
Because using alt DNS settings most time is to get the device connected to the internet when the default way would not work
That's why I said it would be a failsafe that ONLY happens if it can't connect using the usual connection the usual way. Nintendo isn't stupid, and won't make this happen EVERY time, just after a certain number of failed connection attempts.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Or just don't set up a internet connection. Best way to lock nintendo out.
Words of truth! Unfortunately, that also means locking yourself out of using the internet, for example to access the homebrew store, or using some of the alternative shops. I heard some routers can block specific adresses, so that's an option for those who are paranoids about connecting by accident to Nintendo's servers.

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Words of truth! Unfortunately, that also means locking yourself out of using the internet, for example to access the homebrew store, or using some of the alternative shops. I heard some routers can block specific adresses, so that's an option for those who are paranoids about connecting by accident to Nintendo's servers.

To be honest with you I dont really see the point of the switch even being connected to the internet unless you are using the freeshop.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and if op isnt using an emunand he might as well ban himself.
Yeah also those who keep their WIFI disconnected are banning themselves from homebrew updates or its usage theres really no need for that when you have incognito or sxos stealth mode. Its ok to be safer, but don't let paranoia ban your hacking activities.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo can easily detect any cfw stuff if they want to, just assume you're gone if you take the risk
Thats depends on the user its boggles down how you prepare your switch for hacking activites. The end user gets themselves banned 100% of the time by going online with hacks & pirated games in cfw. Thats the only "easy" way for them to detect us. Never heard of anyone getting detected using emunand+incognito b/c their switch practically doesn't exist for Nintendo to detect without a console serial key. The real issue is that newcomers dirty their sysnand to allow detection.

phalk

Handheld Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thats depends on the user its boggles down how you prepare your switch for hacking activites. The end user gets themselves banned 100% of the time by going online with hacks & pirated games in cfw. Thats the only "easy" way for them to detect us. Never heard of anyone getting detected using emunand+incognito b/c their switch practically doesn't exist for Nintendo to detect without a console serial key. The real issue is that newcomers dirty their sysnand to allow detection.

They could still ban by MAC if they really wanted to, even with invalid certs.
Even easier: Check for a cert, if it's invalid, MAC ban.
That's why I use both Incognito and 90dns...

Last edited by phalk,

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They could still ban by MAC if they really wanted to, even with invalid certs.
Even easier: Check for a cert, if it's invalid, MAC ban.
That's why I use both Incognito and 90dns...
You lost me. How can they check a cert if your nand has no console serial with incognito? You already lose Nintendo services without it thats why using both isn't necessary. MAC ban? idk man that sounds kinda off considering they don't ban IP's when they ban accounts

Last edited by MasterJ360, , Reason: wait what?

phalk

Handheld Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You lost me. How can they check a cert if your nand has no console serial with incognito? You already lose Nintendo services without it thats why using both isn't necessary. MAC ban? idk man that sounds kinda off considering they don't ban IP's when they ban accounts

Huh? You don't actually "lose" access to Nintendo servers with no serial and certs, Nintendo just rejects your attempts to connect to it's services because of it. They can change this behaviour any time they want. Then it's going to be very easy to act: if there's a missing serial info or invalid certs, they could try to ban the user by any other means.
You can never be sure. They can start banning IPs or MAC addresses anytime. If they wanted, they could also use several other means to identify a console outside of serial numbers and certificates, remember this: they made the console, it's their project. Why don't they do this? I can't really say.

In other news, I made a little research and it seems like the Switch's MAC address is software assigned (not hardware fixed), so a MAC ban would probably be reversible.

Even so, with what I said above, there is no such thing as being too cautious about this. With just incognito, you're being refused by Nintendo servers because Nintendo wishes to do so. You're basically relying on Nintendo to keep your console unbanned.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh? You don't actually "lose" access to Nintendo servers with no serial and certs, Nintendo just rejects your attempts to connect to it's services because of it. They can change this behaviour any time they want. Then it's going to be very easy to act: if there's a missing serial info or invalid certs, they could try to ban the user by any other means.
You can never be sure. They can start banning IPs or MAC addresses anytime. If they wanted, they could also use several other means to identify a console outside of serial numbers and certificates, remember this: they made the console, it's their project. Why don't they do this? I can't really say.
Yeah I'm gonna stop you right there Im not a fan nor interested in theories from nontendo employees I can't debate on something thats not proven, I can only give you factual information that we have and so far its working as intended by many users. If your concerned about Nintendo changing their behavior then dont hack your switch period, just don't go around fearmongering ppl with "What if's" or "If they really wanted to" Whats stopping them from doing it now if they really wanted to?

https://gbatemp.net/threads/incognito.531924/
"Nintendo just rejects your attempts to connect to it's services because of it. They can change this behaviour any time they want"
Ask yourself this logically: Why would Nintendo care about us not connecting to their server? You do realize that IP/MAC bans aren't necessarily permanent bans for the switch right? Nintendo isn't going to risk court time time with those feeble methods. Banning the console and account is more potent, but they can't even do that with incognito installed lol.

Last edited by MasterJ360,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s