Hacking Bliight! It's Gentoo Linux creepin' on yer Wiiz

Smack

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I setup up a 4gig SD card to try this out but I am having problems.

When I run Bliight via the HBC I am not getting a video signal to my TV anymore. If I switch between video modes I can quickly see a bunch of text on the screen before the signal cuts out for my Wii's input. It should be noted that I am running in 480i as I have an old school piece of crap tv.

So right now I am getting no video signal and I can do nothing else other than reboot my system. I might give Whiite a shot here just to see if it works.

Edit: I solved the video problem. I had component cables hooked up to my wii outputing 480i. I switched to RCA cables and it is fine.

However in reformatting my SD card I have screwed something up cause I can't write to my ext3 partition. The first time I used GParted everything worked fine, now I can see my ext3 or ext2 partition but Ubuntu says I don't have permission to do anything with it.
hate2.gif
Any ideas?

Edit2: I am a dummy. I didn't use "gksudo nautilus" Can I have that hour and a half back please... no. damn

muzz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can I try to throw a request out there? Can someone who knows what they're doing please create a channel for the Linux Loader part? Also, if there were a Linux Loader channel would it boot a SD card with a single ext3 partition?

IronMask

Official WiiStuntman First to Test ciosCorp!
Trophies
Website
ironmaskshideout.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Yea, I have already requested that as well when xwhiite was released... The only thing is... The Linux Kernel.dol gets updated frequently... so to make it right, it needs that feature that WiiShizzza did with the forwarder dol option... that way...when ever there is a change... we can just add the new .dol and not have to make a new wad everytime the kernel gets updated..

Feel me?

muzz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone have any luck with installing anything additional from Portage? I untarred "Portage-latest.tar.bz2" to an 8GB USB stick, copied make.conf from /etc to /usr/portage where I mounted the USB stick. Whenever I try to run emerge or ebuild with options I get an error similiar t "portage_exception.Parse.Error: [Errno 24] Too many open files: 'usr/portage/make.conf' in /etc/make.conf

Can anyone offer some guidance? I tried adding the line fs.file-max=200000 to my /etc/sysctl but it hasn't done anything differently after applying sysctl -p.

I have no broadband adapter or other means of network access with the wii running bliight right now so manual compiles and installs are my only means. I want to get the front end to VLC installed.

IronMask

Official WiiStuntman First to Test ciosCorp!
Trophies
Website
ironmaskshideout.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
That is definately something being worked on as well as a forward.dol/elf channel for the kernal.elf to be in a channel/wad so that when it updates we can just replace the old kernel.dol with the new one when it gets updated... My request has been added to the person who specializes in making these forwarder.dol channels and he is working on one for us.

So stay tuned!

Btw...@Muzz... what is needed to get the VLC installed? What terminal command? and if so maybe someone can try and help me recompile it for you so maybe you can download it and install like that? Or have you used the xwhiite .2? It already has the VLC Media app in it...

muzz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IronMask said:
Btw...@Muzz... what is needed to get the VLC installed? What terminal command? and if so maybe someone can try and help me recompile it for you so maybe you can download it and install like that? Or have you used the xwhiite .2? It already has the VLC Media app in it...

lol I'm not exactly sure, this is my first go with Gentoo as a distro. I read in t7g's readme that he had installed Gimp via ebuild which I guess is a direct low-level way to manage portage from command line like apt-get for aptitude. I was trying to issue ebuild setup gimp, ebuild gimp setup........but got the Too many open files error......

This is from t7g's readme:

"I could probably go on forever about portage and how to use it, just
keep in mind there's plenty of portage documentation out there. Also, I think I had to gimp gimmix and sonata on by
modifying the ebuilds in /usr/portage and then using 'ebuild *.ebuild digest' to update the Manifest. I had to add
ppc keywords because they weren't included, but both packages compiled fine and I tested them myself. They're front
ends to the Music Player Daemon which I suppose means we should get to..."

I just want a quick easy tut to get on my feet and get into the thick of it after I get a clue how it works. I'm not a big IRC guy but I might get on the channel to see if I can get some quick and dirty instructions and take it from there.....in the meantime if anyone else can help I think other readers here would benefit from the info as well.
smile.gif

edit: I did do the whiite distro but for some reason, not sure yet.....I was drawn to this one so I'm toying with it......I think I'm going to get a keyboard I'm getting really tired of using the wiimote OSK style typing....UGH!

t7g

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
muzz said:
Anyone have any luck with installing anything additional from Portage? I untarred "Portage-latest.tar.bz2" to an 8GB USB stick, copied make.conf from /etc to /usr/portage where I mounted the USB stick. Whenever I try to run emerge or ebuild with options I get an error similiar t "portage_exception.Parse.Error: [Errno 24] Too many open files: 'usr/portage/make.conf' in /etc/make.conf

Can anyone offer some guidance? I tried adding the line fs.file-max=200000 to my /etc/sysctl but it hasn't done anything differently after applying sysctl -p.

I have no broadband adapter or other means of network access with the wii running bliight right now so manual compiles and installs are my only means. I want to get the front end to VLC installed.

You don't need to copy make.conf to /usr/portage, just leave make.conf where it is in /etc and then untar your portage snapshot to /usr/portage and then run emerge --sync (if you wanna be fully upto date)

in fact just running emerge --sync with no portage tree in /usr/portage should also work and just rsync the whole tree.

muzz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
t7g said:
muzz said:

You don't need to copy make.conf to /usr/portage, just leave make.conf where it is in /etc and then untar your portage snapshot to /usr/portage and then run emerge --sync (if you wanna be fully upto date)

in fact just running emerge --sync with no portage tree in /usr/portage should also work and just rsync the whole tree.

Tried your suggestion, but I am trying to get this done w/o network access so I can't rsync. When I try to search for a package or anything that has to do with emerge or issuing an ebuild command I get the "too many open files" error. I appreciate your willingness to help t7g but I feel I am at a loss because no one can reproduce my error. Should I not start X and try this?

t7g

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I can't say I've ever tried to start an emerge with X running (it uses gobs and gobs of memory) ((just issue /etc/init.d/xdm stop and then ctl-alt-backspc and then ctl-alt-f1))

Also, for sanity's sake, make sure make.conf isn't anywhere but in /etc, to me it sounds like it's doing a file open and getting more than one file from the path and it doesn't know which one to use, but I could be horribly wrong. Just make sure you have your only copy of make.conf in /etc. (if it's in /usr/portage and you can't rsync then portage can't fix it for you)

In any case, nuvalo has made a newer version of Bliight that resembles Miight as in, it can load from usb/sd, or I think even loopback file, but I just received my new sd card today so it'll be a minute before I can test it, who knows, I might do another release before the end of the year so I implore you all to report all the bugs you can find as quick as ya can. Not sure how much work I'll be able to do when my import of Versus Crusade ships!

D

Deleted User

does running an emulator through this have the same speed and compatibility as running an emulator off the wii?

chrisman01

Trophies
Website
empireofsteel.thecomicseries.com
XP
Country
United States
Jeez, why are all the topics on this so old? sorry!

OK, it appeared to be loading fine, but then the screen flashed green, went back to the text, then flashed green again and kept repeating the process.

Eventually it said X failed, and it had something to do with the mouse. I'm using a very old CRT TV, so the text was blurry and I couldn't quite make it out.

I hit yes, then another dialog box popped up, I hit OK, and the Wii rebooted.

Now whenever I try to load Bliight I just get a black screen and no text appears whatsoever...
wacko.gif

---

I'm not a Linux n00b, as I used Ubuntu for quite some time before I had to install Windows 7 and get rid of it.

Little help, please?
bow.gif

t7g

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chrisman01 said:
Jeez, why are all the topics on this so old? sorry!

OK, it appeared to be loading fine, but then the screen flashed green, went back to the text, then flashed green again and kept repeating the process.

Eventually it said X failed, and it had something to do with the mouse. I'm using a very old CRT TV, so the text was blurry and I couldn't quite make it out.

I hit yes, then another dialog box popped up, I hit OK, and the Wii rebooted.

Now whenever I try to load Bliight I just get a black screen and no text appears whatsoever...
wacko.gif

---

I'm not a Linux n00b, as I used Ubuntu for quite some time before I had to install Windows 7 and get rid of it.

Little help, please?
bow.gif

basically before I shipped the distro I did some screwy changes to the xorg.conf file to add in support for a second wiimote and failed. You either have to get the fixed xorg.conf from my webserver (which is down) if you can edit the xorg.conf in your desktop system- just remove the stuff about the second pointer. If that doesn't work I suppose I can post the amended parts of the conf file here. (not at home right now)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Autocorrect isn't always correct
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    however,sad news today, although idk if i can say it bc it relates to a rom site
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Rom or Ram site? Cause there's a big difference
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    rom,like game files
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    know what? to paraphrase sonic: "no GBAtemp rule in the universe is gonna stop me"
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    vimm's lair had to remove a bunch of games because of nintendo, sega, and lego
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Got taken down? Another one bites the dust
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not taken down, but had to remove a bunch of games
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sirloin sounds good tonight
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah it does
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    RIP Vimm's Lair (most of the games anyway), you will be missed

also i think this is a great time and reason to bring back a hashtag previously used about ubisoft
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    #stopkillinggames
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    #mailmesomesirloinsteak
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mail you deeze nuts
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That be cheap, flat rate small envelope. Me- "Hey this envelope is empty, oh that makes since."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still fits in your mouth the same way
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I was looking at steaks other day at grocery, can't believe some cuts (angus) are like $25 a pound. Crazyness. Price of good fish is just as bad.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    when i go to college,what do you guys think i should major?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    inb4 computer science
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Fake Leg scratching 101
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    IT support you can act like your own farts smell like cherries that way
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Odin 2s $300 lol no
  • Scarlet @ Scarlet:
    The Mini is even more lol
    Scarlet @ Scarlet: The Mini is even more lol