Hacking Blank screens with steady power.

Shawn2009

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,
Last night I posted my problem in the [Please don't mention rom site names, thanks. -staff] forums and got several suggestions, but nothing I liked, so I am going to repost here. I apologize if the membership overlaps between these two forums.

Here's my setup:

DS Original (phat)
Acekard 2.1
AKAIO 1.5 firmware
Kingston MicroSD 4GB (came bundled with the AK)

My friend was the previous owner of the DS and he had a slot-2 flash cart called XG2 Lite with a large collection of GameBoy games on it, so I'm not sure if he had to modify the unit at all to run that.

As for me, I received my AceKard 2.1 in the mail yesterday and proceeded to download several homebrew apps, like RemoteTouch DS and moonshell. I tried to use RemoteTouch, but it could not connect to my router. I then had the idea to download a rom of a commercial game to access the DS Wifi settings, which I had never used before.
I downloaded Metroid Prime Hunters and copied it over, along with a few more things I had downloaded, including NitroTracker, Pocketphysics, and a .dpg movie I converted. I didn't try those things out though and ran Metroid first from AKAIO. I went straight to the WiFi settings and tinkered for a bit, but I couldn't get it to find or manually connect to my router. I backed out of the settings and was prompted that the system needed to shut down, which I did.
The next time I tried to boot the DS, it would power on, meaning the green light came on and I can hear the speakers pop, but the screens are blank and it is completely unresponsive.

What I have done:
-Charged it completely.
-Tried to boot with a genuine cartridge and with both slots empty.
-Taken the battery out and waited and put it back in.

What I have NOT done:
-Tried the AceKard on another DS
-Replaced the battery

Any help you might be able to offer here would be greatly appreciated! I've been googling relentlessly, and while I find other people with the same symptoms, no one knows how to fix it. Thanks!

Best,

Shanlon

WioWao

Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe he installed FlashMe
http://home.comcast.net/~olimar/flashme/
QUOTE said:
Recovery:
Failsafe code is written into the first few blocks of firmware, in case the flashing procedure gets interrupted or malicious software overwrites part of your firmware. If your firmware gets corrupt, hold START+SELECT to boot directly to SLOT-1 or SLOT-2. From there, you can run flashme or noflashme to repair it.
Try that. If it works i will(or someone else if im not online) fill you in on how to run flashme(to get it back to the original and stable DS Firmware).
smile.gif

Shawn2009

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for your reply
smile.gif
However, I tried to boot with various button combinations and combinations of flash and geniune cards in both slots, but it's still unresponsive. The only thing I get is the battery light, which stays on until I turn the system off.

I live in L.A. and I'm thinking of calling around to the video game boutique stores and trying to locate a replacement battery and a tri-wing screwdrive (so I can look around inside).

Shawn2009

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, sorry I wasn't specific. I tried it again, just now to be sure. I tried booting with Start+Select held down with a commercial game in Slot-1, my AceKard 2.1 in Slot-1, and a flash cart (alone) in Slot-2. Each time I held down Start+Select for around 10 seconds. All I get is the power indicator coming on and the speakers pop faintly (like normal).

Others have said that there is a possibility I downloaded malicious software with the rom, though it is a slim possibility. I read that there is still a virus that "bricks" DS's floating around.

WioWao

Trophies
XP
Country
Assuming he did try the failsafe, i would call this a brick. It's not a blown fuse because then the DS would've reacted different.
And the battery shouldn't be able to cause problems like this. Tried booting with only the charger plugged and no battery?

Shawn2009

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just tried removing the battery, plugging it into the wall, and booting but it won't power on that way. I don't think that is supposed to work anyway. When it is plugged in with the battery I get an orange charging light but it is still not responsive. I also tried the Failsafe boot method while plugged into the wall with the AceKard, commercial game, and slot-2 flash but there's no change in the symptoms.

One more thing, in another forum someone posted the same problem and had even swapped the screens out attempting to fix it. A reply was posted as follows:
"Sounds like the wireless card thingy (sorry, it's too early and for the life of me I can't think of what it's called right now.) If it's not connected properly to the mainboard, or if it's faulty, then your DS will not display anything."

Is there is a precedent for problems with the WiFi board or motherboard connections? If that was the problem it would make sense to me, because I was attempting to use the DS WiFi for the first time and it crashed.

WioWao

Trophies
XP
Country
Found this at nintendo's own site http://techforums.nintendo.com/nins/board/...;thread.id=4867
So maybe it could be a bad battery.

But it could also be the wifi card thingy. I read about that somewhere else once but i forgot what is was about xD

I am not sure of this but i recall reading about DS'es not wanting to boot if some hardware is "not connected properly" / "not working". But when that happens it usually just flashes and turns off again.

That is just about all i can contribute with. Maybe some of my claims are wrong. Then i hope someone else with more experience will help you ^^

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sounds like a brick, wifi card should be good for a very long time, ive had my phat ds for quite some time, playing online randomly and have had no problems. also using an r4 for many years all works great. it is possible that you downloaded a bad game, but its unlikely. i doubt its in warranty, i would suggest to think about getting a new ds, go for the lite, the dsi is overrated. ive never looked into replacing ds parts, but i guess you could try look for broken ds's and try to get a cheap deal maybe you can use parts from another

Shawn2009

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the help, WioWao, I appreciate the effort
smile.gif
I didn't post in the Nintendo forum, because they probably will tell me to send it in and pay or that it's no good and to buy a DSi. Maybe I will though, for kicks and giggles.

Thanks again!

Best,

Shawn

robert_newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What has happened here is that the main processor has at least 1 pin that is not making contact with the pad(s) on the motherboard. The main processor lies under the Slot l/DS cartridge holder. Many times you can temporarily fix the problem by firmly banging the bottom of the DS Lite on into your hand or on a table.

A permanent fix is obtained by removing the motherboard from the DS Lite. Then removing the cartridge holder from the motherboard. Reflow the solder on the main processor. Place several coins on top of it.

The cause of this problem is very similar to the cause of the 3 rings of death for the xbox 360.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F