Hacking black screen with every USB loader

dimon00

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello,
I have a wii connected to a seagate 500GB HD.
2 partitions: 1st FAT, 2nd WBFS
WII type: PAL
WII firmware: 4.1E
cIOS 38 v14
preloader 0.29

I'm trying to understand if one of the USB loader I was testing caused the corruption of some ISO on my HD driver.

Wii Cover flow gave me several DSI errors (the one with DUMP).
At the moment I'm not getting the error anymore but most of the games on the WBFS partition gave a black screen.

The game I added later are played correctly.

The black screen can be reproduced with USB loader GX, CoverFlow, NeoGamma.

Maybe the problem is with cIOS and/or IOS...
but after several reinstallation of different version of ÂIOSes I'm starting to believe the ISO are corrupted.

Is it possibile that using the copy procedure of a DVD into my WBFS partition via USB loader caused a corruption?
Any documented case of data corruption on WBFS?

Any other idea on the reason of the black screen?

Thank for your help.

dimon00

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Unfortunately I have no disk backup to test, at the moment.
frown.gif

I'm trying to recover an "original" ISO of one of the not-working games. Then I can confront the MD5 of the files and even burn a DVD to make the test you suggest.

EtherealX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depending on the structure of the drive (disk0,disk1,disk2) its very well possible to corrupt WBFS data by reaching a certain point of capacity. This is why you commonly see to make your WBFS partition as disk0, so it insures that it absolutely takes the first *** gigs of space while allocating everything else to the remaining drives/disks. Unless you suffered some major surge while reading the drive, a loader can't really corrupt data as its all read-only.

I could also imagine that if a disc is so scared with scratches that it might give a bad scrubbed version of the game. Just speculating, though.. you can easily get bad ISOs while rawdumping if the disc is scratched or finger-printed.

If you have the backups still, I'd suggest doing a complete wipe on your external and making disk0 your WBFS partition. You might also want to run a SMART check on the drive while you're doing this (since you can't if its WBFS formatted) to see if thats causing issues, too. Good luck.

dimon00

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ok.
Now I'm sure.
The ISOes on the HD have been corrupted.

Md5 are different and WBFS manger doesn't recognize the proper game names, codes and dimension for the ISOes extracted from the HD.

Now Id' like to discover the reason of this corruption.

4 operations are suspect:
- I added one game with a command line utility under linux (but the game copied in this way is working correctly),
- I added a game from an original DVD using the "extracting" function of WII Cover Flow (but even this game is working correctly),
- I received several DSI exceptions trying to make Mario Kart work with WII Cover Flow (maybe it caused an unclean mounting? Is WBFS journaled?),
- I deleted the FAT partition (my first partition on the USB HD) and then recreated it (but I'd exclude this from the investigation).

I can't think of any other possible "write" operation made on that partition.

Further suggestions? I dont' think it is the disk occupation since I used about 5% of the WBFS partition.

Thanks

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-