- BLACK SCREEN when booting HBC -

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by AznKenshin, Jun 9, 2009.

Jun 9, 2009
  1. AznKenshin
    OP

Newcomer AznKenshin Member

United States
    Hi everyone!

I've been a long-time lurker in GBATemp.net, but this problem has had me stumped...

While opening HBC, I was prompted to update the channel. I did so, and it lead me to a series of things that I don't remember. To keep a story short, it installed through BootMii, which I'm still unfamiliar with. At any rate, I proceeded to update the HBC. But when finished, I was presented with a black screen. I ignored it, hard-reset my Wii, turned it back on, and opened HBC. Guess what? Another black screen. I tried and tried again, but no avail.

What could be the problem? What can I do to solve this?

2. manias

Member manias GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    what sdcard dyou have and what version of the HBC? hbc does this when its not happy with yer sdcard.. install an older version again (bootmii is great tho and will stay functional)

3. AznKenshin
    OP

United States
    My SD card: SanDisk ultra II 2.0GB
    HBC version: I don't know! I can't even boot it! [​IMG]
    Wii firmware: 3.2U

4. manias

Netherlands
    might also be fixed by going up to 4.0, not sure (waninkoko's 4.0 upgrader works wondrs [​IMG] )
    but install an older HBC, you don't lose anything (newer versions support SDHC and such)

5. AznKenshin
    OP

United States
    Yay a possible solution! Okay, let me try it.

This might sound retarded, but I would have to reformat the SD and add in the old HBC files right? (boot.dol). So where do I get the old HBC? It's not on the official site anymore...

6. manias

Netherlands
    reformat? no? [​IMG] just delete the old installer on yer sdcard (hbc is installed on your wii, not on your sdcard)
    i dunno where the older one is.. search hbc 1.0.1

7. s3phir0th115

Member s3phir0th115 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I encountered this problem on the latest homebrew channel with system menu 3.2 when I had installed IOS61 on my wii so I could get the shopping channel to install and I could get some of the free channels it had to offer.

When I launched the channel, it was fine. Then I decided to use my WAD Manager channel to remove IOS61 and the shop channel when I was done.
    After this, the homebrew channel black screened on me. Then I installed IOS61 again, suspecting this, and the homebrew channel worked again.

Either way, the homebrew channel for some reason decided it wanted to run on the new IOS I had installed, even though there was nothing wrong with what it had run on before.

My solution to this, was to remove IOS61 with my wad manager channel, then use bannerbomb to uninstall then reinstall the homebrew channel. This resolved my issue.

So I would suggest reinstalling with bannerbomb and see if that fixes it for you.

8. AznKenshin
    OP

United States
    Yeah, I don't have that Wad Manager Channel -- I doubt I could set it up either since my HBC doesn't work.

This is my list of solutions so far, in order of which attempted first:
    1. Delete HBC (deleting through the Wii options), and reinstall HBC following this: http://yafaze.com/wii/tutorials.html
    2. If step 1 doesn't work, panic.

9. manias

Netherlands
    you don't have to delete it to reinstall it i think tho, it should really overwrite methinks
    and reinstall using bannerbomb [​IMG]

10. AznKenshin
    OP

United States
    Woohooo! My HBC boots up properly! Thanks so much everyone! There aren't any apps showing, though -- so let me add some to the apps folder in SD. Should work.

Time to play some Brawl+