Hacking Black Screen on V 4.0U

chaospker98

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I asked this question on the help thread and I didn't get any help, so I'm asking it here.

Ok so my Wii is version 4.0U.
I have BootMii installed as Boot2.
I installed a WAD called 'NeoGamma R5.wad'
The first 5 digits of my Wii are LU504.
From what I searched I think it might be called the BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH.

So what happens is that when I try to go to my Wii menu I get the "press A" screen and I do so. Next I get a black screen. When I try to go to the Homebrew Channel through BootMii, it automatically opens open NeoGamma R5 (backup launcher).

How do I fix it?

natas420

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

This has happened to me too about 3 days ago. I had ver 3.2U with HBC and was installing the neogamma loader R5.wad..the install completed sucessfully and rebooted the Wii..I got to the safety screen...pressed A..and nothing...banner brick. I used wad manager 1.3 to install the wad. I regret doing this..i dont know if I screwed myself..but in the hopes of trying to reconstruct things...I tried putting my original mario kart disc in to update the firmware...I used the friibootmii method of pressing all the buttons and R1 on the gamecube controller to invoke its recovery mode...shows 3.2U on the bottom the screen...then I put the mario kart disc in and it went away and I waited like 6 minutes..then I rebooted it and went back into recovery mode and it said 3.3.

I hope by doing this 3.3 didnt nuke my still existing twilight hack savegame. Like the previous post, the possible fix is to modchip the wii to allow autobooting a modified zelda twilight princess backup to and execute the again hopefully existing twilight hacked savegame and executing the HBC code to uninstall the offending wad file. If not, I'm screwed.The drivekey solderless looks to be a nice chip.

-natas

pm_41

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
WiiBlaster said:
is it possible someone made a NeoGamma Channel with the same ID as the HBC?
Sounds like this guy might have used the HBC WAD as a base...
frown.gif

supagusti

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
After some thinking about it, the problem could also be solved with making (or even downloading) a dvd containing wad manager, which can be launched through Neogamma.
Then uninstall the wad causing the problems and start from scratch with bannerbomb and hackmii installer.

natas420

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK,

So i got my Drivekey modchip on Friday, set the dips, and installed it.

Recap: On my previous post on that NEOGAMMA_R5_RC1wad that I had installed, the wii boots to the health screen and when I hit A, I get the black screen. I involved the friisavemii method to get to the recovery mode. It showed 3.2U and I put Mario Kart in and the wii proceded to do its thing and read the disc and the 3.2U disapeared..I waited a few minutes (maybe 10) and figured it was done and rebooted...invoked recovery mode and it showed 3.3U.

Friday, July 19th 2009
So, I tried burning autoboot discs...I thought I had Twilight hack installed. From trial and error I found out that GUI for changing the disc to autoboot, Wii Autoboot Creator, sucks because it would not boot Zelda TP. So, I used the command line bootme (I'm too lazy to hex myself) to change it for me, and it BOOTED. Let me say, this is the ONLY SUCCESS I HAVE HAD SO FAR..THE REST WILL BE A LOG OF MY FAILURES.

That being said, I'll continue ,

So Twilight Princess Boots up, and I see 3 saves...and none are the twilight hack..My gf and her friend overwrote them. Im screwed on that end.

So then I try booting the wii repair disc 1.31..they say u cant on 3.3 but I tried anyway b/c I now have a modship. I tried booting it via the recovery mode, and by having it in the wii then turning it on, as well as putting it in at the health screen. In recovery mode, nothing happens. When I try it the latter methods it does try to boot it but I get the "an error has occurred.
Press the Eject Button,remove the Game disc, and turn the power OFF. Please read the Wii Operations Manual for more information" error message.

I also tried, even tho it was already signed, "resetting" the autoboot via bootme. The same thing happened...You hear it try to read..and quickly the above error appears.

I also have attempted via the universal unbrick disc v2, and the same error appears..both without messing with the iso and "resetting" the autoboot.

I tried autobooting via wag manager.iso, and anytitle deleter.iso

Since zelda was the only Disc that autobooted..even tho I couldnt use the Twilight Hack, I read about people altering the game partitions and injecting homebrew .dols in the image. This is new territory for me, and I tried injecting the main.dol into the 2nd partition..I even tried putting it the first..just hoping it would boot some incarnation of it

natas420

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I GOT IT WORKING!

I returned the chip for another one and it was able to autoboot the Wii Repair Disc 1.3. The Save All option didn't work for me..gave me a couple failed msgs even after trying setting verification off. However, I was able to save all 39 of NAND items like the config, shared, savesame, VC and I think even the original bad wads to .rbk files. I wanted to do that first since this was the first true breakthrough on my issue and I wanted a hopefully fallback in case I screw something up. After that I went to Delete All and rebooted.

Kinda freaked me out as the screen was black for like 6-7 sec, then the initial wiimote setup goes through and I think it restarted again (might be mistaken), and the beautiful sight of the Wii Channel Screen,a very empty and stock Channel Screen
wink.gif

IF YOU HAVE 3.3+ DON'T BOTHER WITH TRUCHA autoloader wad/HBC/ANYTITLE Deleter as those rely on the Trucha signing exploit if I'm not mistaken..I seriously wasted about 20 DVDs trying to find a way to fix this. If I had not put in the update disc via savemiifrii when I had 3.2 I could have used a Trucha homebrew disc to nuke the offending wad.

At that point you gotta get a modchip. After getting to the menu I went to the disc channel, hit eject 3x, entered gamecube mode for the Drivekey and the autoboot option was disabled--I would think this would NOT allow me to boot the Wii Repair Disc..But it did!

Or use preloader, bootmii, etc. I had bootmii installed but I had a newer Wii so it was installed via IOS..so it didnt work. But..I'm working if I can use the NAND backup I made, which wasn't too far behind when the evil wad was installed, to bring the wii, mii and all back to its pre-bricked state..minus a few weeks of game progress, etc.

Anyone do a NAND restore via bootmii installed as IOS?

--Natas420

happyd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Help I think I have same problem but i don't think I have bootmii so I can't get past the blank screen? would installing a mod chip help me? if so which one?

natas420

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
happyd,

we need more information. Please provide us with what you mean by black screen..aka do you get to the health screen and hit A and get the black screen or black screen right when you turn it on? What firmware are you running? What did you install to cause the brick? Depending on your firmware you may not need a modchip. Do you have a gamecube controller?

--Natas420

happyd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ya its after the press A, it crashed from the same wad. I did the gamecube thing and found I'm on 3.3U. what mod chip you get? I think I might send it in to nintendo they said they'l repair it free and if not $75. The dvd drive was really loud and probly the next thing to go as it already gave me dvd read errors so its probly best getting a new wii from them. So You'l probly see me asking in 2 weeks the how to homebrew from 4.0 and how to best protect it from bricking

natas420

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you did the twilight hack and still have the saved game on the wii, and you have access to the same version of zelda in ISO format, you can change the autorun bit of the iso to make it autoboot (bootme) b4 the menu loads and thereby run the game, and load the twilight hack. Put wad manager on the root of the sd card as boot.dol as that will execute it upon the twilight hack.

I think 3.3 doesn't nuke the saved game like 3.4 does? I could be wrong..I can't remember.

Otherwise, with a modchip, like the drivekey, it will allow the nintento repair disc to boot via the savemii recovery and delete all wads and basically start over fresh. You can back up the saves,menu,settings, etc and restore them however.

Or pay $$ to nintendo and get it back fixed but not have the tools to fix it yourself next time you semi-brick your wii.

I did the former option and I know if its semi-bricked again I should have at least one method to fix it.

You may need a mod chip. It's a good investment. ..I needed it after I went from 3.2 to 3.3 to 3.4 trying to fix it by updating the firmware via the recovery mode. Don't do that. I think beta1 of the twilight hack is resistant to getting nuked upon menu reload. If you still have the save on the wii, obtain an ISO backup of the same version (o or 2) of zelda you had in doing the hack in the first place, and set it to autoboot, burn it and you should be good to go. If not, get a modchip that autoboots discs, savemefrii, modchip, and the repair disc..can try universial unbrick disc..but have bad luck with those.

Tux'

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And I find it funny how people think updating will magically 'make the bad wad go away'. Updating updates your IOS AND SYSTEMMENU!! AN UPDATE DOES NOT TOUCH CHANNELS!!!!!

natas420

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lordpoketehpenguin, you are so right. After I restored everything and got to the point of reinstalling the ios/cios the firmware was the same and so were the IOS files...they were still installed and I had the option of uninstalling them.

--Natas420

wigee

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Hi everyone,

Since last saterday i have the same problem as natas420.
I also installed the NEOGAMMA_R5_RC1.wad and after installatie i got a black screen.

It's pretty clear that i needs a chip and a GC controler to resolve this problem.
But the rest is not clear...

natas420,

What do you mean returned chip for another one ? Was there a problem with the previous one ?
Can you tell me what chip i need?
The Wii Repair Disc 1.3 will it also work on a PAL system (with mod chip)?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, The Russians are after you lol.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Send me your ip I'll remotely fix it
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 my head needs fixing if I believe you
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's kinda fun watching it happen tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It needs fixing for other things but your pc I can fix
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    over 300+ virus/trojians/worms after scanning, what did I do to deserve this attention lol
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    tho I find it funny when i receive other people's pc/laptops in this state
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wont be upgrading unless I cant run the games i want anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spill water on it good excuse
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 that's like a valid option if someone else is paying for ya
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Daddy's wallet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ngl hogwarts legacy has good pooping music
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    That's uh-
    That's certainly a Dairy Queen sign lmao
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You should see his help wanted signs
    Ugh, so many sweat-dipwads in Sploon 3 Anarchy mode tonight
    I didn't know this was "Make Octo never finish Fresh Season 2024 Catalog in Splatoon 3" month, good god
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of "confirming" games you know will get released. Like Nintendo "confirming" a Zelda sequel. "We can't be sure Nintendo is working on a new Zelda game, or if a new Zelda game will ever be released, until they officially confirm it."
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "There is literally no way to know if they will ever release a new Zelda game, it's wild speculation until they officially confirm it."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Black ops was the lesser shitter line in cock a poopoo tbf just a way to let people know it hasn't died or going a different route I guess
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $70 DLC per 6 months is what it turned into
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/R28ZSY2Sc2A?si=H5Lb6PNkzMhAHO_P