Hacking Black screen brick.

primulas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a softmodded 4.2u wii. has been working perfectly for months. I booted up to Priiloader and selected the update option tonight.

It showed up a code dump error. Rebooted and black screen. Hold reset....nothing. Now just black screen on unplug/restart.

Anyone know anything i do not? or is savemiifrii my only possible option?

thanks in advance guys.

-Prim

primulas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is it possible that a failed priiloader update could affect the sysmenu? Seems weird.

I am not sure if it matters but i had priiloader configured to boot to priiloader upon powering on.

-Prim

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, a failed preloader/priilaoder install is very bad. I don't think there is anything you can do. Try savemiifrii of course, but as said, it won't work.

primulas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, the Wii itself isn't the biggest deal to me. The save data has much more value. If no suggestions for saving the system; is there any possible way to recover the save data?

thanks again

-Prim

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you have a bootmii nand backup, you can send it to someone with a nand programmer to fix it and/or extract your data. Without a bootmii backup, this can not be done.

primulas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well....i do have an old nand backup. Not gonna have any of my new data.....i suppose finding someone to flash this wii is better then buying a new one? I will of course try savemii.

any suggestions as to where to find someone willing to do this for a fair price? I know one guy from the forum messaged me already.

thanks for the quick and helpful feedback guys.

-Prim

edit: with the nand back up can the save data after the nand backup was made be recovered as well?

primulas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
::Bump:: same question as above. ~~~~^

also anyone else know where i can find someone with a nand programmer to flash my wii with my backup?

thanks guys

-Prim

thiefstar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
primulas said:
::Bump:: same question as above. ~~~~^

also anyone else know where i can find someone with a nand programmer to flash my wii with my backup?

thanks guys

-Prim

if you had backup your wii nand before brickd. you can flash it to your wii nand.

EseHomes

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can try to email deadlyfoez, he knows best in this area. I think to try [email protected]

That email is not confirmed yet, but it is the only email address that I have tried that has not been rejected so I dont know if he is ignoring me or if is not him. But all searches of deadlfoez always seems to point to him. Give it a shot, or ask xflak. Xflak is apparently DF's best friend so he might know how to get a hold of him.

But in all honesty, if you do have a previous nand backup, which obviously has the keys with it, then you current one can be extracted and decrypted with the keys and you can get all your save data back, although doing all of that is a lot of work, but it can be done by the right person. Like I said, try deadly, he was the chief of wii bricks around here and I'm sure he has a solution.

Good luck man.

mayonaze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So where exactly did primulas go wrong here?. I pretty much have the exact same setup. 4.2u, bootmii as an ios, and priiloader installed as a brick protection. with nand back up recently. I just want to know what he did so i dont make the same mistakes! thanks to any replys!

primulas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kind of a thread jack mayonaze; but i understand your concern.

I don't know what these guys will say but here's my advice. Backup your nand before doing any major mods/updates.

Anytime we are modifying or messing with critical components of our system software we are taking a risk of messing it up. It's part of modding. I look at it in the respect that i know the risks and even if i completely destroy a system i'd be willing to pay for said system again for the benefits that i got from modding it in the meantime. My .02
biggrin.gif

-Prim

mayonaze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
primulas said:
Kind of a thread jack mayonaze; but i understand your concern.

I don't know what these guys will say but here's my advice. Backup your nand before doing any major mods/updates.

Anytime we are modifying or messing with critical components of our system software we are taking a risk of messing it up. It's part of modding. I look at it in the respect that i know the risks and even if i completely destroy a system i'd be willing to pay for said system again for the benefits that i got from modding it in the meantime. My .02
biggrin.gif

-Prim
Thanks, and sorry didn't mean to impose!

Supercool330

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The fact that you got a code dump on a Priiloader install is incredibly disconcerting. You didn't happen to write down the code dump did you (would help a lot in tracking down the problem)? My guess is the problem lies in the update code since the installer is called while there is more stuff on the call stack, and thus more potential memory allocation problems. I haven't heard of anyone having problems with a direct install of Priiloader, but the online update function is newer, and it appears it should be avoided for now (unless you have bootmii boot2 and a backup, in which case more testing would be good).

thiefstar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
primulas said:
I should have, but i didn't. At the time i didn't really think it would brick my wii.

-Prim

OK, if 4.3 game dvd released, try to boot recovery mode(even it is black screen) and put that 4.3 autoboot game DVD.
this is your last hope.

EseHomes

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thiefstar said:
primulas said:
I should have, but i didn't. At the time i didn't really think it would brick my wii.

-Prim

OK, if 4.3 game dvd released, try to boot recovery mode(even it is black screen) and put that 4.3 autoboot game DVD.
this is your last hope.
The boot process is fucked right now. He can't get into recovery. Nothing is going to work besides someone with a nand programmer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    light27 @ light27: oh it’s the least I could do +1