Bitcoins

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Kouen Hasuki, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Kouen Hasuki
    OP

Kouen Hasuki Kouen the Cyber Husky

Jan 9, 2013
    Norway
    Gaming Bunker
    Bit coins is something I didn't much time seriously at all till recently when humble bundle started accepting them but I'm curious as to the temps thoughts on a pure digital de-centeralized currency tat cuts government out of the loop.

I for one see it as an interesting thing that seems to be growing fast although it takes time to work out fully and in that until that side of things are resolved I don't think its for everyone.

Thoughts?

2. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
  3. Kouen Hasuki
    OP

Jan 9, 2013
    Norway
    Gaming Bunker
    Didn't wanna macro and since this is more about the principle rather than mining it didn't quite fit the other

4. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    you need to buy specialized hardware now which is currently being hoarded by other miners and resellers, not worth it now, it will take a very long time to even make your investment back

you could treat it like a stock market though
    but bitcoins at low value (like when they crashed they were around $75 now they are around $650) and sell high

imo though, I wouldnt get involved personally
    its too unstable

5. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    It's digital cash.

Paying by cash IRL is usually OK because you are physically interacting with another person and their products/services, usually in a public place, so there is some level of trust.

Paying by bitcoin is paying by cash without ever meeting the other person or seeing what they are selling. There is nothing to verify trust.

Too risky for me.

6. Kouen Hasuki
    OP

Jan 9, 2013
    Norway
    Gaming Bunker

There is a kinda lack of protection if a scam goes down aye, some have tried to say its like paypal but with paypal you have some sorta backup

7. DanTheManMS

DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

Jun 2, 2007
    United States
    Georgia
    I fully believe in Bitcoin. I think it's a revolutionary way to think of money. It's basically the online equivalent of cash.

The US Government actually had two Senate committee hearings earlier this week regarding Bitcoin, one on Monday and one on Tuesday. In those hearings, they pretty much recognized Bitcoin as a legitimate currency that needs to be looked at.

The way I look at it, Bitcoin is going to go to one extreme or the other. Either Bitcoin is going to become the biggest revolution of the century and become the world's currency, or it's going to crash down to nothing and become just a footnote in the history books. The latter is more likely of course, but hey, anything is possible.

8. DanTheManMS

Jun 2, 2007
    United States
    Georgia
    Today marks the day Bitcoin hit $1,000/BTC on the MtGox exchange, and I couldn't be happier to see it.

Hang on folks, we're in for a wild ride!

9. WatchGintama

WatchGintama GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 22, 2009
    United States
    I heard someone ordered a pizza for 10k bitcoins. :wacko:

10. DanTheManMS

Jun 2, 2007
    United States
    Georgia
    Hey now, it was *2* pizzas thankyouverymuch.

But yes, that actually happened way back in Bitcoin's infancy. And the best part is, it NEEDED to happen. That iconic 10k pizza purchase was one of the very first real-life instances of someone legitimately paying for fresh physical goods with Bitcoin.

As for whether it was worth it even with today's 20/20 hindsight, well, we're still talking about that pizza today aren't we? :D

Satangel likes this.
  11. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    lol the buttcoin

If you enjoy investing in a system of currency that fluctuates on a whim and is easily brought into massive inflation by the boredom of some lazy neckbeards then yes, please "bitcoin mine".

But sticking your head in a blender and pressing the "On" button will basically have the same effect.

DJ91990, tbgtbg and finkmac like this.
  12. DanTheManMS

Jun 2, 2007
    United States
    Georgia
    Meh, if you don't believe that Bitcoin is a good thing then I'm not gonna try to force you.

That said, you do sound kinda like the guy from http://www.theonion.com/articles/area-man-constantly-mentioning-he-doesnt-own-a-tel,429/

13. WhiteMaze

WhiteMaze GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 16, 2013
  14. DanTheManMS

Jun 2, 2007
    United States
    Georgia
    (That is the point and that was the joke, as The Onion is pure satire)

WhiteMaze likes this.
  15. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    When I first looked up bit coins, they so so cheap for a couple grand I would have made millions :(

16. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    Did you see the episode of Raising Hope a few weeks ago where Burt and Virginia make up their own currency, and then at the end of the episode *SPOILERS* the whole thing falls apart *END SPOILERS THAT WERE OBVIOUS ANYWAY DUH*?

Yeah, bitcoin in a nutshell.

Guild McCommunist likes this.
  17. Costello

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    before I used bitcoins: yeah bitcoin is doomed it's fucked up it's wrong it will never live on
    after I got my first bitcoin: damn it why didn't I get more when it was worth pennies

this happens to a lot of people lately :unsure:

DJ91990, Satangel and WhiteMaze like this.
  18. DanTheManMS

Jun 2, 2007
    United States
    Georgia
    Thank you Costello, this is pretty much what I was trying to say, albeit in a slightly more roundabout way. It really is one of those "you can't really understand it 'till you try it" types of things.

In annnny case, do you accept Bitcoin for GBATemp funding donations?

19. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    The thing with buttcoins is that while other currency does go up and down, like a dollar or a Euro, the bitcoin does that at a highly accelerated rate. You could be at a high one hour and the next it crashes to be worth nearly anything.

Also if your currency can be crashed by literally fat neckbeards getting bored and hacking it and having dormant elements in their hack that come back AGAIN after a certain amount of time to crash the system then it is absolutely the wrong currency.

They're only good for buying fedoras. Unfortunately not nooses.

finkmac likes this.
  20. Costello

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    sure, if you'd like to make a donation to support the site and help pay for servers and competitions, it's always welcome. Bitcoins accepted.
    we're getting ready for tempmas and we'll try to offer neat prizes this year, so every little bit helps.
    PM me if you wish to make a donation.