Bioshock Infinite - What were your impressions?

nasune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Before we start, this wil obviously contain spoilers right up to the end of the game. Read at your own peril.

So I just finished it, and, well, I didn't enjoy myself as much as I'd hoped. It's not a bad game by any means, but the first two were, in my opinion, superior to this one. I'll admit that part of it stems from the fact that I miss Rapture (I guess Colombia just doesn't leave me in awe the way Rapture did) but it's more than that.

Once again, only read the next part if you've finished the game, or don't care about spoilers.

For starters, I miss the really daunting enemies that the first two games had. I remember coming across a Big Daddy for the first time, and all I could think was: I really don't want to fight those things. Fuck... I have to, don't I. Bioshock 2 had the Big Sisters, which gave a similar problem, but Infinite doesn't have that.
The closest are the Automatons and Handymen, but they're far from intimidating. Beyond that there are the firemen and the crows, but those are far too easy as well.
Second was the new weapons system, by being restricted to just two weapons, it felt like a step down from the first two titles. The Vigor, at least, had the option to change which two you had on the fly, which was fine (I barely used most of them anyway, I stuck to the lightning and the crows).
Thirdly, it felt so goddamn short when compared to the first two. I finished the game in barely 9 hours, and that included quite some exploring, So I'm guessing you can speed it through in 6 or 7 hours. I spent much more time on the first two (about 15 hours each).
Fourth, The skyhooks. In the trailers they seemed an integral part of the game, but I ended up barely using them.
Finally, the difficulty. When you get to Elizabeth the game becomes far too easy, simply because she hands you a lot of shit (health packs/ammo) when you need it. That makes it easy enough to just stand there, take the abuse, and kill everyone. Hell, even if you die there's not much of a penalty. There were only a few somewhat difficult parts (Siren was tricky, as was defending the airship in the end, but that was it). I have to say though, that I've yet to play the 1999 mode, so that might fix that.
There was some dissapointment in not fighting songbird, but that one was more of a wrong expectation on my part (if that makes any sense). So I'm not going to count that one.

That's not to say that it was all bad because I liked the story, including the ending (hell I was cheering when we returned to Rapture for a brief moment). The Vigor system was fine as well, and I really liked the idea (and implementation) of the Tears.
so all in all I thought it was a good game, just not in the same league as the first two.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Waiting for the 360 leak.

It's going to be better then BS 1 and 2
Mainly cause Infinite's NPC react differently to you.
The city feels more alive then Rapture.

nasune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, I didn't get the feeling of npcs reacting differently (perhaps the two you can choose to save at the beginning do, but you'll never notice that without multiple playthroughs). As for the city being more alive, that's only in the beginning and a short time after saving Elizabeth. Aside from that, all you'll encounter are enemies for the most part (granted there are some non combatants in those parts, but they're few, and far in between).

nasune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
cIdon't know, I kinda liked the whole place being desolate, still, excluding Elizabeth, there are only 9 (at least, I think there are 9) important npcs, and a handful of non important npcs (a couple of crowds and some random people that cower in your presence). So while that's a definite improvement over the first one, which only had 3 I believe (Tenenbaum, Atlas, and Ryan), it's still not that much.

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It still is a major improvement over BS one.
I just have to say, I extremely disagree with this. Although maybe you feel differently now after actually playing it. To me, the weapons and vigors were uninteresting. None of the enemies seemed very unique or interesting to me either. Overall, the gameplay just seemed too boring/repetitive to me. Atmosphere was great, but still not as good as Bioshock. Elizabeth (who I loved, along with a certain other couple of characters) and her direct story was really the only thing that kept me playing. Loved how the ending was executed but not sure on the result. I couldn't have cared less for Slate's or the Vox Populi's.

BAHIM Z 360

B-but I'm not a new member :(
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I miss the darkness and creepiness in Bioshock 1&2....I mean infinite is mostly daylight

But man seeing Colombia the first time was amazing! (STILL not better than Rapture :P)

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
it's a little more linear than previous BS's well so far it is

and what the fuck did that key unlock in the raven house? i looked everywhere for a safe or box it could open i couldn't find anything?

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only got to play for a few minutes yesterday, but what I did play blew my mind. I find the environment to be much more interesting than Rapture.

Also
'dem bells. I don't fully understand what happened to the sky at that point, but it was wonderful.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I loved it. I played Bioshock one completely and didnt find it as ground breaking as people claimed. The theme was amazing, but the end of the story felt tacked on (the good and bad endings) you couldnt really interact with anyone and it had WAAAYYYY too much back tracking (especially the end with the big daddy suit.) plus, it was too dark and gloomy it felt like it was trying to be deep instead of just having it happen.

I liked Infinite MUCH more, Columbia felt much more alive then Rapture, I didnt arrive at the scene of the crime, I was in the middle of the damn shoot out. The interactivity felt great, I could impact certain things, but my choices didnt change the whole damn story. Also, it was much more sublte, I walk into the Finks port, it doesnt flat out say, HEY, CHOOSE TO GET THIS GEAR BUT PISS OFF THE POLICE, OR BE QUIET AND JUST WALTZ INTO FINK FACTORY. I got to look around, then when I found the gear, I decided what to do next. The visuals were fucking magical, Columbia looked almost next-gen.

Combat was fun, especially with the Sky-lines all over the map, levels like the first and last part of the Hall of Heroes were fun as hell, Tears were cool too, I definitely used them a lot. It felt less cluttered then Bioshock one's I only had two weapons to worry about in the middle of a fast paced shoot out instead of having to scroll through my shotgun and cammera to get to the crossbow. Vigors combined to have some neat effects, but I wish the game actually TOLD you about them, if I didnt keep up with the development, I wouldnt have knew anything about them. Story was great, I actually teared up at the end. This game came out more then I expected.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
As far as I can remember, they indirectly tell you that you can combine vigors.
Not only that but a bit of common knowledge would've told you that you could ;]

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Too bad Excite Truck wasn't multi player :(
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Loved that game lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry for the stupid suggestion I had in that thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its fine
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    what thread?