Bioshock Infinite - What were your impressions?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by nasune, Mar 22, 2013.

Mar 22, 2013
  1. nasune
    OP

Member nasune GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Before we start, this wil obviously contain spoilers right up to the end of the game. Read at your own peril.

So I just finished it, and, well, I didn't enjoy myself as much as I'd hoped. It's not a bad game by any means, but the first two were, in my opinion, superior to this one. I'll admit that part of it stems from the fact that I miss Rapture (I guess Colombia just doesn't leave me in awe the way Rapture did) but it's more than that.

Once again, only read the next part if you've finished the game, or don't care about spoilers.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

2. DinohScene

Member DinohScene The Gift of Dino

Antarctica
    Waiting for the 360 leak.

It's going to be better then BS 1 and 2
    Mainly cause Infinite's NPC react differently to you.
    The city feels more alive then Rapture.

3. nasune
    OP

Netherlands

4. DinohScene

Antarctica
    It still is a major improvement over BS one.

5. nasune
    OP

Netherlands
    cIdon't know, I kinda liked the whole place being desolate, still, excluding Elizabeth, there are only 9 (at least, I think there are 9) important npcs, and a handful of non important npcs (a couple of crowds and some random people that cower in your presence). So while that's a definite improvement over the first one, which only had 3 I believe (Tenenbaum, Atlas, and Ryan), it's still not that much.

6. Seraph

Member Seraph GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I just have to say, I extremely disagree with this. Although maybe you feel differently now after actually playing it. To me, the weapons and vigors were uninteresting. None of the enemies seemed very unique or interesting to me either. Overall, the gameplay just seemed too boring/repetitive to me. Atmosphere was great, but still not as good as Bioshock. Elizabeth (who I loved, along with a certain other couple of characters) and her direct story was really the only thing that kept me playing. Loved how the ending was executed but not sure on the result. I couldn't have cared less for Slate's or the Vox Populi's.

7. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    i'm up to the third stage haven't even found the girl yet and i'm already loving it. got everything set on ultra and it looks stunning!

8. BAHIM Z 360

Member BAHIM Z 360 B-but I'm not a new member :(

Bahrain
    I miss the darkness and creepiness in Bioshock 1&2....I mean infinite is mostly daylight

But man seeing Colombia the first time was amazing! (STILL not better than Rapture :P)

9. Bladexdsl

Australia
    it's a little more linear than previous BS's well so far it is

and what the fuck did that key unlock in the raven house? i looked everywhere for a safe or box it could open i couldn't find anything?

10. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    "And in that moment, I swear we were Bioshock Infinite."

That's all I've got.

11. Tokiopop

Member Tokiopop Caffeine fiend

United Kingdom
    dat ending :o

Great game; couldn't put it down

12. frogboy

Member frogboy lacking both style and grace

United States
    I only got to play for a few minutes yesterday, but what I did play blew my mind. I find the environment to be much more interesting than Rapture.

Also

13. nico445

Member nico445 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Just finished it.. pretty awesome game but i still prefer bioshock 1 & 2.
    The ending was a bit of a mindfuck

14. Bladexdsl

Australia
    it was sending a code to Columbia confirming it to lift off or something like that.

15. Bladexdsl

Australia
    wtf you can't die in this? and also what happened to the level in the E3 demo?? the game doesn't even seem to play like that?

16. Jaems

Member Jaems GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Quite good so far. I'm about 4-5ish hours in. Really liking Elizabeth, already have a huge crush on her.

17. The Milkman

Member The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

United States
    I loved it. I played Bioshock one completely and didnt find it as ground breaking as people claimed. The theme was amazing, but the end of the story felt tacked on (the good and bad endings) you couldnt really interact with anyone and it had WAAAYYYY too much back tracking (especially the end with the big daddy suit.) plus, it was too dark and gloomy it felt like it was trying to be deep instead of just having it happen.

I liked Infinite MUCH more, Columbia felt much more alive then Rapture, I didnt arrive at the scene of the crime, I was in the middle of the damn shoot out. The interactivity felt great, I could impact certain things, but my choices didnt change the whole damn story. Also, it was much more sublte, I walk into the Finks port, it doesnt flat out say, HEY, CHOOSE TO GET THIS GEAR BUT PISS OFF THE POLICE, OR BE QUIET AND JUST WALTZ INTO FINK FACTORY. I got to look around, then when I found the gear, I decided what to do next. The visuals were fucking magical, Columbia looked almost next-gen.

Combat was fun, especially with the Sky-lines all over the map, levels like the first and last part of the Hall of Heroes were fun as hell, Tears were cool too, I definitely used them a lot. It felt less cluttered then Bioshock one's I only had two weapons to worry about in the middle of a fast paced shoot out instead of having to scroll through my shotgun and cammera to get to the crossbow. Vigors combined to have some neat effects, but I wish the game actually TOLD you about them, if I didnt keep up with the development, I wouldnt have knew anything about them. Story was great, I actually teared up at the end. This game came out more then I expected.

18. DinohScene

Antarctica
    As far as I can remember, they indirectly tell you that you can combine vigors.
    Not only that but a bit of common knowledge would've told you that you could ;]

19. Bladexdsl

Australia
  20. Kirihara

Newcomer Kirihara Member

Japan
    I really like the look of the game and its story but as its a FPS i'm not gonna bother as the gameplay bore me to death.