Big problem with Switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by 9gennaio, Oct 15, 2019.

1. 9gennaio
    OP

9gennaio Member

Newcomer
    Oct 5, 2017
    Italy
    Hi today i tried to put some contact cleaner in my switch's left stick (to stop drifting) so i did it and it stopped drifting, but now I have a big stain near the stick. Is there a way to remove a stain of contact cleaner? Thanks

2. spuderump
    This message by spuderump has been removed from public view by Issac, Oct 15, 2019, Reason: Not the place to shitpost.
    Oct 15, 2019
  3. 9gennaio
    This message by 9gennaio has been removed from public view by Issac, Oct 15, 2019, Reason: reply to deleted comment.
    Oct 15, 2019
  4. tatumanu

tatumanu GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 1, 2004
    Portugal
    Well this is odd ... Are you sure you used contact cleaner?
    I guess you use it in the controler's plastic and it absorved the liquid?

5. Agilato

Agilato GBAtemp Regular

Jun 21, 2019
    United States
    May we have a picture or something please? Plastic has slight softtouch rubber kind coat, you might just ripped it off.

Last edited by Agilato, Oct 15, 2019
  6. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Contact cleaner shouldn't stain, the whole point is that it evaporates.
    Pics?

7. 9gennaio
    OP

9gennaio Member

Newcomer
    Oct 5, 2017
    Italy
    Here are 2 pictures.

Attached Files:

8. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng Netti Netti

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Noticing, aloof from it all
    Ah I see it, is the surface rough there? To me it looks like that area is cleaner than the others, making it seem like a stain. So in theory the other areas are dirtier. Don't do it yet though, need more info.

9. altorn

altorn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 15, 2007
    Canada
    Toronto, Ontario
    looks like oil from fingers.

10. 9gennaio
    OP

9gennaio Member

Newcomer
    Oct 5, 2017
    Italy
    No, it's not rough, it's the same as before. So if this area is cleaner, in some time it will become dirtier and it will become like other areas?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

The stain appeared after I used the contact cleaner.

11. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng Netti Netti

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Noticing, aloof from it all
    Correct. But the other areas could get dirtier so there may be no point where it looks flush, but I can't tell for sure. If you can remember how your joycons first looked, the colour and everything; try to recall. Usually when you use something for more than a year or so, a layer of dirt collects and that changes the colour you supposedly see. For instance on my landlines, if I were to scrub them with isopropyl alcohol, it would change the look entirely and make it look brand new, and if I did it in only one area, one could assume it's a stain of some sort.

12. Agilato

Agilato GBAtemp Regular

Jun 21, 2019
    United States
    Joycons and console it self have light coat of softtouch that is removable...
    More you use them more you take of that layer, unfortunately it's very easy removable with IPA alcohol.
    There was a case when Switch came out ppl were using decals-skins and that was messing up this layer because of glue type thing they used to make them stick.

I repaired hundreds joy-cons, i have seen very used joy-cons become glossy all the time...

I have ton of old shells can show you an experiment with IPA and difference between heavy used one and regular Joy-Cons.

Last edited by Agilato, Oct 15, 2019
  13. SolidSnakeUk89

SolidSnakeUk89 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 20, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Around the world
    IPA on the whole of the joycon cases and voila! all equal LOL

Agilato likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted