BETA SteamBoxes start to arrive

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Any news on the price and specs?
I know that the specs were revealed in the Steam Universe group thread some days ago..
  • GPU: some units with NVIDIA Titan, some GTX780, some GTX760, and some GTX660
  • CPU: some boxes with Intel : i7-4770, some i5-4570, and some i3
  • RAM: 16GB DDR3-1600 (CPU), 3GB DDR5 (GPU)
  • Storage: 1TB/8GB Hybrid SSHD
  • Power Supply: Internal 450w 80Plus Gold
  • Dimensions: approx. 12 x 12.4 x 2.9 in high
No prices yet, as far as I know (they are on Beta test phase right now, with 300 units in the wild or so), but with those specs, I don't think it will be cheaper than a Xbone or a PS4..

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't really care it's ugly, my concern is how to play games with that controller; seems like the button layout looks weird to use for many game genres.
Overall, I am just skeptical, not discouraging innovation, specially since the dude in the video said it was a little weird to use.
The round thingamajigs can be mapped to act like a set of buttons.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I know that the specs were revealed in the Steam Universe group thread some days ago..

For the record: those are (probably) the specs of the shipped steamboxes.

From the FAQ, the specs you'll need to run steamOS are as follows:
  • Intel or AMD 64-bit capable processor
  • 4GB or more memory
  • 500GB or larger disk
  • NVIDIA graphics card (AMD and Intel graphics support coming soon)
  • UEFI boot support
  • USB port for installation

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
From the FAQ, the specs you'll need to run steamOS are as follows:
  • Intel or AMD 64-bit capable processor
  • 4GB or more memory
  • 500GB or larger disk
  • NVIDIA graphics card (AMD and Intel graphics support coming soon)
  • UEFI boot support
  • USB port for installation
I was about to partition my disc but looks like I'll need to wait a while before jumping SteamOS bandwagon. I already have a partition with Ubuntu 13.10 anyways.

all in all the Steam Machine looks like a more powerful HTPC, nothing new though.
I'm trying to assemble a HTPC but with all the new game releases and PS4 I have no money at the moment, only need the graphic card to finish, nothing to powerful a Nvidia GT640 low profile.
when finish assembling that sure I'll install SteamOS, and if someone figure out how to install dolphin and fully use Dualshock 4 controllers(I mean with touchpad included) inside SteamOS I can even ditch Windows for my Wii HD plans.

Thanatos Telos

random stuff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was about to partition my disc but looks like I'll need to wait a while before jumping SteamOS bandwagon. I already have a partition with Ubuntu 13.10 anyways.

all in all the Steam Machine looks like a more powerful HTPC, nothing new though.
I'm trying to assemble a HTPC but with all the new game releases and PS4 I have no money at the moment, only need the graphic card to finish, nothing to powerful a Nvidia GT640 low profile.
when finish assembling that sure I'll install SteamOS, and if someone figure out how to install dolphin and fully use Dualshock 4 controllers(I mean with touchpad included) inside SteamOS I can even ditch Windows for my Wii HD plans.

No partitioning. According to reports, you have to clear out a 1TB or greater HDD, so unless you have a huge HDD (Like me, but I hoard on Windows), then you can't install it without clearing everything for it.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
No partitioning. According to reports, you have to clear out a 1TB or greater HDD, so unless you have a huge HDD (Like me, but I hoard on Windows), then you can't install it without clearing everything for it.

it really need all that space?? you can fit all current OS's on 1TB HDD, of course you'll need lots of free space for games installs but you can choose not to install everything and use less that a gig for steam on other platforms.
but it's a beta so they are probably trying to test on clean systems before make it coexist with other OS's on a partitioned disk. and ultimately if they don't add the option to allow installs on partitioned disks, someone else will.
or you can always install SteamOS and then move and resize the partition.

Sarvesh50

Aye!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I like windows and gaming on windows isn't a problem at all consoles are nice too but they lack power and steambox isn't going to fix that. But with windows 8 i won't mind to game on valve/steamOS

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-