PS1/2 Best write speed for this iso?

MassiveBrainlet

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wanna burn an iso for Silent Hill 2 Greatest Hits edition onto a disc but I'm wondering what write speed to use. I have Verbatim DVD-r's. My possible speeds are 4x and 8x. Can anyone help me?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The slower the better
Not really.

Drive speed mattered back in the day when buffers amounted to about half a second of burning and the inks were crap.

Today we have buffers any size you like, quality lasers in the drives, hard drives that even if things were fragmented and you hammer it otherwise can probably still keep up (though I would still suggest not hammering the hard drive while you are burning), and inks are actually pretty good.

To that end whatever the rating the discs are at, or slightly lower than that if your hard drive might not do well.

Most failed burns these days I would expect to come from people not getting rid of a piece of a fluff on the disc before burning it.

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really.

Drive speed mattered back in the day when buffers amounted to about half a second of burning and the inks were crap.

Today we have buffers any size you like, quality lasers in the drives, hard drives that even if things were fragmented and you hammer it otherwise can probably still keep up (though I would still suggest not hammering the hard drive while you are burning), and inks are actually pretty good.

To that end whatever the rating the discs are at, or slightly lower than that if your hard drive might not do well.

Most failed burns these days I would expect to come from people not getting rid of a piece of a fluff on the disc before burning it.
We don't know his specs, and older computers are more likely to have disc drives slots than newer ones, and older computers are more likely to have this problem.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
We don't know his specs, and older computers are more likely to have disc drives slots than newer ones, and older computers are more likely to have this problem.
Unless said old computer is a P3, P4 or similar then I doubt it.

Any computer likely still pressed into use today will be way beyond that.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

I think,our beloved PlayStation 2 (especially the SCPH−300xx to SCPH−500xx Versions) is still very happy and thankful with 4x Speed burned Verbatims DVD-R´s:)
For Modchipped and also ESR Patched Games for FreeMC Boot.

Thank you.:)

Reactions: Mythical

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning