• No, and I posted what went wrong

Votes: 120 11.9%

• Total voters

lisa200

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It sounds to me you skipped a few steps in the modmii manual..the 1st thing it will tell you is to update your HBC...

when i downloaded 4.8.0 which is the most current should i have selected would you like to update ALL your existing softmods (aka re-hack your wii) instead of selecting is this your first time soft modding your wii ?

i only had homebrew channel installed before i started.

edit... actually those two options are one - where does it say update HBC and how do i do that?

edit 2... just checked and my HBC is 1.0.8 but is using IOS38v14.25

The instructions I followed are below, I got to the end of step 2 then as soon as I select load modmii i get black screen

ModMii 4.8.0 Custom Guide
Generated on 30/11/2011 - 10:59:37.32
Check for updates at tinyurl.com/ModMiiNow

This Guide was generated using the following parameters:

* Install and\or update all recommended softmods
* Current firmware is 3.XE
* Desired firmware is 4.1E

* Install Photo Channel
* Install Internet Channel
* Install Weather Channel
* Install News Channel
* Install Mii Channel
* Install Shopping Channel (and IOS56)

* Install Dark Wii Blue Theme
* Update active IOSs (can be disabled in options)
* Do not Install a cMIOS (can be enabled in Options)
* Install a USB-Loader Forwarder Channel (can be disabled in options)

This software is not for sale. If you paid for this software or a "bundle" you have been scammed.

THIS PACKAGE COMES WITH ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, NEITHER STATED NOR IMPLIED.
NO ONE BUT YOURSELF IS TO BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE THIS MAY CAUSE TO YOUR NINTENDO WII CONSOLE!
USE THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

IMPORTANT NOTES:

*This guide does NOT require a Wifi connection on your Wii.
*An SD card formatted to FAT(32) required (Best results are with non-SDHC cards, SDHC
will only work on 4.0 or above).
*If you get errors during any of the steps reformat your SD card as FAT or FAT32
*Turn off WiiConnect24 and take out all gamecube memory cards/controllers when modding
the Wii (unless instructed otherwise).
*If your Wii ever freezes, hold the power button on the Wii for 5 seconds to power it
off then try again.
*Don’t ever accept a new Nintendo update without first googling to see if it’s safe.
The last update (to 4.3) was released in late June 2010. If you accept an official Nintendo update after modding the Wii, you may lose some or all of your modifications.
*Never uninstall a system menu or IOS
*Do not install untested wads/themes without Bootmii or Priiloader installed.
*This custom guide is great start, but Wii modding is always evolving. Check for updates
online, and remember, google is your friend.
*If you have questions, a more detailed guide can be found here:
www.sites.google.com/site/completesg/

1) INSTALLING THE HOMEBREW CHANNEL (HBC) AND BOOTMII
=================================================

Run BannerBomb v1 by going to Settings, Data Management, Channels, SD Card and
choosing yes to load boot.dol/elf

Note: If it doesn't work for you, visit http://bannerbomb.qoid.us/ for more
variations of either version of bannerbomb.

This runs the Hackmii Installer (and silently/automatically installs BootMii as IOS).
Use the installer to install the Homebrew Channel (HBC) and Bootmii as Boot2 if possible.

Note: If you get a 'no vulnerable IOS' error message, run ModMii again and this time
select the 'Hackmii Solutions' option and follow the new instructions
before continuing this guide.

After you exit the hackmii installer, you will be taken to the HBC.
Hit the home button.
In the top right corner you will see the IOS used by the HBC.

If the HBC is using an IOS other than IOS58 or your homebrew channel is upside-down, make a
note of it as it applies later in the guide (you will have to reinstall the HBC).

If it is using IOS58 and your HBC is not upside-down, you can skip the Reinstall
The Homebrew Channel step when you get to it.

2) MAKING A NAND BACKUP
====================

While inside the Homebrew Channel, load BootMii by pressing home and clicking Launch Bootmii.
Press the power button on the wii 3 times to get to the last option, then press the reset
button. [You can also navigate with a Gamecube controller]

Press reset to choose the first option, then follow the directions on the screen to
make your NAND backup. [Bad blocks are no problem.]

Backup the Bootmii folder, NAND.bin, and keys.bin elsewhere and erase from the sd card
(or rename it). You'll need these in case of emergencies, so don't lose them.
Go back to The Homebrew Channel.

Note: if Bootmii was installed as boot2, then it will show up as soon as
the Wii is turned on AS LONG AS it finds the bootmii folder (mentioned above)
on the root of the SD card.

3) INSTALL WADS
============

Load WiiMod via the HomeBrew Channel.

In WiiMod's main menu, go down to select "WAD Manager".
Select "Wii SD Slot" as the source device.

Install the following WADs from the WAD folder
(this list of WADs is unique to the information you provided ModMii).

Be careful not to install any additional wads that may have been previously saved
in this folder (they may be safe, but I cannot say for sure).

If you are sure all the WADs should be installed press "1" then "A" to begin the installation.
If you need to unselect a few WADs press "1", then press "B" to return to the list.
Notice all the WADs are selected. For each WAD that is not listed below simply select it using Up/Down and press "+" to deselect it.
When you are ready press "A" to begin the installation.

When done, press home to exit WiiMod.

If any files fail to install properly, retry installing those files.

Your unique list of wads to install are as follows:

* IOS11v16174(IOS60v6174[FS-ES-NP-VP])
* IOS20v16174(IOS60v6174[FS-ES-NP-VP])
* IOS30v16174(IOS60v6174[FS-ES-NP-VP])
* IOS40v16174(IOS60v6174[FS-ES-NP-VP])
* IOS50v14889(IOS50v4889[FS-ES-NP-VP])
* IOS52v15661(IOS52v5661[FS-ES-NP-VP])
* IOS60v16174(IOS60v6174[FS-ES-NP-VP])
* IOS70v16174(IOS60v6174[FS-ES-NP-VP])
* IOS80v16174(IOS60v6174[FS-ES-NP-VP])
* SystemMenu_4.1E_v450_DarkWiiBlue
* cIOS202[60]-v5.1R
* cIOS222[38]-v4
* cIOS223[37-38]-v4
* cIOS224[57]-v5.1R
* cIOS249[56]-d2x-v6
* cIOS250[57]-d2x-v6
* Mii-Channel-NUS-v6
* Photo-Channel-1.1-NUS-v3
* Shopping-Channel-NUS-v20
* Opera-Internet-Channel-NUS[E]
* Weather-Channel-NUS-v7[E]
* NEWS-Channel-NUS-v7[E]
* RVL-mios-v10
* IOS9-64-v1034
* IOS12-64-v526
* IOS13-64-v1032
* IOS14-64-v1032
* IOS15-64-v1032
* IOS17-64-v1032
* IOS21-64-v1039
* IOS22-64-v1294
* IOS28-64-v1807
* IOS31-64-v3608
* IOS33-64-v3608
* IOS34-64-v3608
* IOS35-64-v3608
* IOS36-64-v3608
* IOS37-64-v5663
* IOS38-64-v4124
* IOS41-64-v3607
* IOS43-64-v3607
* IOS45-64-v3607
* IOS46-64-v3607
* IOS48-64-v4124
* IOS53-64-v5663
* IOS55-64-v5663
* IOS56-64-v5662
* IOS57-64-v5919
* IOS58-64-v6176
* IOS61-64-v5662
* IOS236v65535(IOS36v3351[FS-ES-NP-VP])
* USBLoader(s)-ahbprot58-SD-USB-v11b-IDCL
This is a forwarder channel that will load the first file it finds from the following list:
SD+USB:\apps\usbloader\boot.dol
SD+USB:\apps\usbloader\boot.elf
SD+USB:\apps\usb-loader\boot.dol
SD+USB:\apps\usb-loader\boot.elf
SD+USB:\apps\usbloader_cfg\boot.dol
SD+USB:\apps\usbloader_cfg\boot.elf
SD+USB:\apps\WiiFlow\boot.dol
SD+USB:\apps\WiiFlow\boot.elf
SD+USB:\apps\usbloader_gx\boot.dol
SD+USB:\apps\usbloader_gx\boot.elf
Notes: IOS58 is required to launch apps from an SD Card and hard drives formatted as
FAT32, NTFS, ext2, ext3 and ext4. It also supports meta.xml arguments
and is able to launch apps with direct hardware access.
You should always have at least one forwarder channel installed on your Wii,
that way, in the event of accidental update, you will be able to rehack your Wii without relying on a disc based exploit

Note: Whenever you install a new System Menu, Priiloader is uninstalled.
So be sure to reinstall it afterwards (especially if you do not have bootmii as boot2)

4) INSTALL PRIILOADER
==================

Launch "Priiloader" via the Homebrew Channel

After the Priiloader Installer loads, press + to install it.

After successfully installing Priiloader, access it by powering off the Wii,
then powering it back on while holding reset until you see the Priiloader menu.

You should install some system menu hacks now (by going to System Menu hacks option).

RECOMMENDED HACKS: Block Disc Updates, Block Online Updates, Replace Health Screen, Auto-Press A at Health Screen, Region-Free Everything, remove no copy save file protection, and Move Disc Channel.

The priiloader menu is white by default, you can change it to black in the Priiloader settings if you prefer.

One of the special functions of Priiloader is that it can autoboot any app/file instead of the system menu. Some apps (like crazyIntro) can't be used without it.
For details on how to do so, visit www.sites.google.com/site/completesg/system-hacks/priiloader

5) REINSTALL THE HOMEBREW CHANNEL (if applicable)
==============================================

Earlier you should have checked what IOS is used by the Homebrew Channel (HBC). If the IOS used by your HBC is IOS58 and your HBC is not upside-down, you can skip this step.

If the HBC is using an IOS other than IOS58 or your HBC is upside-down, you should reinstall the HBC.

Launch the HackMii_Installer via the HBC.
Use the Hackmii Installer to fix/re-install the HBC (using IOS58). Once you've successfully reinstalled the HBC, you can move onto the next step of the guide.

If the HBC is failing to load the HackMii_Installer (just blackscreens), instead launch the Hackmii Installer using the method described in the First Step

6) AFTER MODDING
=============

After you are done modding your Wii, you can optionally delete any unnecesarry files
by using ModMii's "File Cleanup" Feature.

If you choose not to use the File Cleanup feature, in order to avoid having your Wii freeze when accessing the SD Card Menu, you should delete the 'aktn' folder where bannerbomb is saved (SD:\private\wii\title\aktn), or rename the entire 'private' folder.

At this point you're practically done.
Now you should be downloading the latest homebrew applications and setting them up on
your SD Card (or FAT32 USB Hard Drive) so they can be launched via the HBC.

For playing your backups off a USB hard drive, run the USB-Loader Setup feature from ModMii's Main Menu

For downloading applications, you should:
* Check out ModMii's batch download pages as it has many popular apps available for download.
* Download Homebrew Browser via ModMii to get many popular apps, but this is an online only Wii application (www.sites.google.com/site/completesg/how-to-use/hbb)
* For those without internet on their Wii, check out this list of Homebrew applications (wiibrew.org/wiki/List_of_all_homebrew).
Another great resource is webrewwii.blogspot.com

After getting whatever apps you want, you should get a boot.dol file and possibly a icon.png and meta.xml.
For HBC to read your SD/USB correctly, your card must be structured SD:/apps/application name/boot.dol
If you have a *.dol not named boot.dol, rename it boot.dol, otherwise it will not be recognized by the HBC.
(optional: the icon.png and meta.xml should be saved in the same place as the boot.dol)

7) SUPPORT XFLAK
=============

IF MODMII WORKED FOR YOU, PLEASE VOTE IN FAVOUR OF THE PROGRAM HERE (tinyurl.com/ModMiiNow)

DONATIONS CAN OPTIONALLY BE MADE VIA PAYPAL TO [email protected]

CHECK OUT MY TOP CHANNELS HERE (tinyurl.com/topchannels)

CHECK OUT MY CRAZY INTRO VIDEOS HERE (tinyurl.com/crazyintro)

BASILISP

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
The upgrade from 4.2 to 4.3 only added IOS58 if I remember well.
It can be installed on it's own without the need to upgrade the system menu as well.
Another thing is the shopping channel. That can be upgraded to the latest version as well withou the need to upgrade the system menu.
The upgrade fixed the bannerbomb exploit. Games don't really need it. If a game doesn't run, it's usually because the ios it needs isn't there.

Cool ! Then I suppose that I wont bother about it! So if a ios that a game needs is not there how can I fix it? Thank you very much

Lucif3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Well if you mod your Wii from scratch now, odds are you wont have to update it ever again (since the Wii is almost dead now).
But if that day comes you can run a syscheck and then tell modmii to scan the file and it will download whatever is not up-to-date. Then just install the files with Wiimod or MMM or whatever WAD manager you use.

cippazza

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xflak, I was trying to use the nand modifier option in ModMii. It identifies the NAND I want modify as 4.1E , but in fact it's a dump of my real NAND and it was 4.1E when I did the dump, then I updated the NAND inside neek2o to 4.3E, and that's what I read when in system menu, nevertheless ModMi says it's a 4.1E. So I'm not able to mod my system menu background because I see that ModMii downloads 4.1E version and when I load that nand I still see the standard system menu.
Did I do something wrong or what ?

bye !
cip

cippazza

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Directory of G:nandsoriginaletitle00000010000002content*

09/11/2011 19:36 676 ticket
09/11/2011 19:36 64 0000007d.app
30/11/2011 19:08 10.493.728 0000007e.app
09/11/2011 19:36 3.867.904 0000007f.app
01/01/1601 00:00 7.688.807 0000009a.app
01/01/1601 00:00 612.368 0000009b.app
01/01/1601 00:00 64 00000099.app
01/01/1601 00:00 3.867.904 1000009b.app
01/01/1601 00:00 808 title.tmd
01/01/1601 00:00 808 title_or.tmd
26.533.131 bytes in 10 files and 0 dirs 26.804.224 bytes allocated

thanks for help

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
looks like I'll have to enhance ModMii's system menu detection and actually read the title.tmd to get the system menu info, thx for bringing this to my attention :D

edit: just fixed it, and as a result the emunand modifier is able to install\remove priiloader to\from all firmwares (instead of just 4.1-4.3) - themes installations are still limited to 4.1-4.3 though

lisa200

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have tried again to install modmii and still get black screen when i go to install wads
I have posted exactly what i have done

downloaded 4.8.0, copied to SD contents of copy to sd folder
inserted sd card into wii then go settings, data management, channels, sdcard and yes to load boot.dol/elf

says test results are in:

Using IOS versions: Installer: 38, HBC: 38

The Homebrew channel: can be installed
Bootmii: can be installed

>continue - (continued)

Main Menu

Install the homebrew channel

Bootmii...

view copyright

>Exit - (here i went up and installed the homebrew channel)

Success

>continue

select bootmii

runtime files will be written etc...

continue - mounting sd card etc... Done
Install Bootmii/boot2 now?
Yes Continue - installing bootmii/boot2 testing nand blocks etc
testing, erasing, writing and verifying nand blocks

SUCCESS

>continue

press home and selected launch bootmii
pressed power 3 times, reset once - then pressed reset and made NAND backup, verified backup, Verify succeeded
exited

switched off, removed sd card, backed up Bootmii folder, Nand.bin and keys.bin to pc and deleted them from sd card
put sd back into wii went into homebrew, selected wiimod and load

Black Screen Again

My wii is on 3.1 and has a wiikey1

The guide I used which was with the files is in post 5123

graz519

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So if I already have a modded wii, although it hasnt been 'updated' for a while (Its running 4.2U with priiloader, but Im sure the ios's, hbc, usb loaders, etc are all out of date), should I still start ModMii from the beginning?

ie still do bannerbomb, then let it do hbc, priiloader, nand backup, etc?

Or should I just update all the software myself, then continue at a certain step in the document?

Thanks.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Modmii downloads all the IOS's for you. Transfer them to your SD card. I'm too lazy to check right now if modmii gives you YAWMM, MMM, or another type of wad manager. Basically, you need to start the wad manager, pointit to the directory that IOS58 is in on your SD card and have that wad manager install it for you.

Alternatively, you could tell the modmii wizard that your wii is on something like 4.1 System Menu and your wii is a virgin and just follow all the steps the the generated guide tells you to do and you will be fine.

If this is not good enough info to help you then just wait until xflak comes around and tells you what to do. I'm too tired to think any much more than this. Sorry.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
there are issues with wiimod. It seems to have trouble loading for some people when launched from an exploit and now it looks like it has issues when running in ahbprot mode off of IOS36. I've got jskyboo working on a solution, but in the meantime just use ModMii v4.7.6, it will have u install IOS236 then load it using mmm to install the other WADs.

Lucif3r

Trophies
XP
Country
So if I already have a modded wii, although it hasnt been 'updated' for a while (Its running 4.2U with priiloader, but Im sure the ios's, hbc, usb loaders, etc are all out of date), should I still start ModMii from the beginning?

ie still do bannerbomb, then let it do hbc, priiloader, nand backup, etc?

Or should I just update all the software myself, then continue at a certain step in the document?

Thanks.

You can run a system check and let modmii scan it, it will then download whatever needs updating.

lisa200

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Xflak... do you mean IOS38 ?

I downloaded 4.7.6 from post 4885 of this thread(hope that was right). When it downloaded the files it got the updated ones - 4.8.0 so had the same problem.

I will wait and see if jskyboo can sort the problem.

Thanks for the info

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Normal sandwich bread is actually pretty good for sausage depends on length of course