Hacking Best thing to do...

paulalastor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi all! Recently returned the need to reenjoy nintendo handhelds and I dusted off my ol' pal dslite. Sadly, the dstt cart that I used to use back in the day is nowhere to be found. So I decided, after reading threads on threads, to buy a N3DSXL in order to play both 3ds and ds games. I would like to ask some questions to whoever knows:
  1. Aside from the n3dsxl, should I also buy a ds cart ? I read about nds-bootstrap (through CFW) and it's really a great work, but should I consider, instead, a classic flashcart for compatibility purposes?
  2. I read about a particular flashcart, the DSTWO/+ that can play, other than ds and 3ds (the last one is not advisable due bricking danger), snes and gba emulators. Is it worth it?
  3. For retrogaming, is retroarch port good enough for snes,gba,genesis/megadrive?
Thanks!

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
1. You should get a NTRBoot compatible DS flashcard. The best option is the r4i gold 3ds plus (r4ids.cn). You can use it to install a custom firmware for your 3DS and to play DS games. The compatibility of nds-bootstrap etc. is meh.
2. It's a good DS flashcard, but it doesn't support NTRBoot and there are better custom firmwares for the 3ds (the 3ds mode of the dstwo plus requires a custom firmware).

paulalastor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
1. You should get a NTRBoot compatible DS flashcard. The best option is the r4i gold 3ds plus (r4ids.cn). You can use it to install a custom firmware for your 3DS and to play DS games. The compatibility of nds-bootstrap etc. is meh.
2. It's a good DS flashcard, but it doesn't support NTRBoot and there are better custom firmwares for the 3ds (the 3ds mode of the dstwo plus requires a custom firmware).
Thanks! I checked the review on this site of the r4i gold and looks very good to me!:D
And regarding gba/gbc/gb and snes emulation do you know if it is better to use retroarch emulators than the dstwo emulators? Are both updated at all nowadays?
And do you think a 32 GB sd is good enough for a bunch of 3ds and ds games on it?
Sorry for so many questions, but I'm very curious about this!:shy:

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thanks! I checked the review on this site of the r4i gold and looks very good to me!:D
And regarding gba/gbc/gb and snes emulation do you know if it is better to use retroarch emulators than the dstwo emulators? Are both updated at all nowadays?
And do you think a 32 GB sd is good enough for a bunch of 3ds and ds games on it?
Sorry for so many questions, but I'm very curious about this!:shy:
Retroarch uses the 3DS' power while the DSTWO emulators only use the internal DSTWO power. I'm pretty sure that retroarch is better.
3DS games are stored on the 3DS' SD, not on the MicroSD in the flashcard.

paulalastor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Retroarch uses the 3DS' power while the DSTWO emulators only use the internal DSTWO power. I'm pretty sure that retroarch is better.
3DS games are stored on the 3DS' SD, not on the MicroSD in the flashcard.
Great, thanks for the help. I'll go for N3dsxl+r4i gold 3ds plus.B-):grog:

gemliu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you want to play online, you should consider DSTWO, it plays SNES and GBA. And modding your 3DS could cause a ban by Nintendo.

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want to play online, you should consider DSTWO, it plays SNES and GBA. And modding your 3DS could cause a ban by Nintendo.
The bans can be bypassed by disabling a few settings. One being the ability to show what games you are playing in the friends list.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I just Luv having CEX :)