Hacking Best Slot-2 Card to Accompany an Acekard

Cu1pepper

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Being new to the DS/GBA "scene", I recently bought a DS Lite and an Acekard 2.1.

I would like to play GBA games on my DS, but I'm not sure which slot-2 device I should purchase.

I would like something that is as easy to use as the Acekard and something that is also economical.

I have read some places that some slot-2 cards have serious speed issues, so I am nervous as to which card to buy.

Any suggestions?

Joey90

Not around any more
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yep, the 3in1 is a very good choice.

As the name suggests it can play GBA games, act as a rumble pak (adjustable power) and as a RAM expansion.

And as Bri said, it is integrated into the AK menu making it really easy to use.

Cu1pepper

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, thanks so much. I appreciate everyone's help. I've already ordered one.

I just have a few more questions:

(1) Does the EZ Flash 3 in 1 need its own form of memory storage such as an additional MicroSD card or can I put the ROMs on the same MicroSD card as the Acekard?

(2) If the EZ Flash 3 in 1 needs its own memory storage, which card(s) are supported? Sizes? SDHC? Etc.

(3) Finally, does the EZ Flash 3 in 1 needs its own OS like the Acekard does? (The files you have to download from the website and put on the card)

Thanks in advance.

TotoGuy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
(1) The roms are placed on the same micro SD card the Acekard uses (copied to the built in memory inside the EZ Flash 3in1 when you play).
(2) See above.
(3) No need for an OS as the Acekard has built in support for it (both official and AKAIO loaders), but there IS a stand alone utility available for it instead if you'd like, called GBA Exploder.

Cu1pepper

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alrighty, so I will just put the GBA roms (romname.gba) into the root of the MicroSD card I am using with my Acekard.

Now, when I turn on the DS and load up Acekard's OS, how do I run a GBA ROM?

TotoGuy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
As long as you have the EZ Flash 3in1 inserted, you should be able to simply click on it like any other DS game and play. You'll have to wait a bit until the game is copied to the EZ Flash, might take even a minute or two, if it's a really big game.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
First of all, put your games in a "gba" folder or something, not on the root. Run them just like any other game -- by clicking the game in the menu.

It should only take a few seconds to load your game UNLESS you are loading it to the slower non-volatile memory (then it can take a couple of minutes the first time, but will load up quickly on subsequent runs as it stays in the cart's memory). Note that certain larger GBA games must be loaded to the non-volatile memory (the EZFlash has twice the non-volatile memory as it does the faster volatile memory).

-Bri

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan, Any idea what happened? I hope that your brother's doing good.