Hacking Best SD card to buy?

omegaultima

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's the best SD card to buy for the 2i?
I've been using a Kingston 1GB for about 5 years now(got it back when I bought my R4),
and I think it's about time for an upgrade considering the fact that DS games these past
few years have been getting bigger file wise.
I bought a new one from Newegg about a year ago but it went horribly wrong
and froze up while transferring files and just completely stopped working(for what
reason I still don't know).
I'm looking for something that's about at least 4 GB.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, there is no such thing as a "Best SD Card" It only matters of how much Gigs it can hold I recommend 8GB.

Trust me, it matters. A slow microSD card have have serious effects on how a game runs on a flash card, at least that's been my experience.

Todderbert

Korg Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use a Kingston 8GB class 4 Taiwan from newegg. I have had zero issues with read speed. It works flawlessly in my Acekard 2i. The card is also fully loaded with only a few hundred megs left for saves and misc. files that my collect over time. DPG videos run perfectly also. I have read that the Japanese Kingstons are better but I have not noticed a speed difference when I use either one. I have had read issues with the Adata brand which caused stuttering in videos and slow load times in games.

impizkit

Lazy Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Actually, there is no such thing as a "Best SD Card" It only matters of how much Gigs it can hold I recommend 8GB.
This is the most rediculous thing I have ever heard. Yes, there is a best card and it is SanDisk. I have had every size and speed microsd from SanDisk and never failed once. ADATA can be sketchy. I had an 8 GB class 6 that ended up being 5.66 GB, not sure why, still works great and is in my SC DSTWO. All others have been in my CycloDS, DSTT or Wood R4. All in my DS Lite.

Reactions: 1 person

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Yes, there is a best card and it is SanDisk.

awhile back i did some testing with a kernel developer. we found that the 4gb class-4 sandisks we had for testing had the lowest read speeds out of other class-4 cards sent for testing. these cards were causing many issues, such as freezing and hanging.

a card should never be considered the best solely on its name!

-another world

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never had any issues with ADATA or PNY mSDHC's (typically I get class 6 and class 10, especially for large capacity cards). Lexar has also done very nicely.

San Disk not so much (A 4GB Class4 under-performing for the speed class rating; errors that had to be solved by a SD Association Formatter wipe). I had bought it new and I don't have anything against the brand itself; I like the brand's Fuze mp3 player that I got.

I'm neutral on Kingston, they haven't failed or caused problems for me but I have not used mSDHC by Kingston before (only 2gb and smaller cards).

I also have about 6 different microSD reader/writer adapters; for the record, I avoid microSD -> SD adapters whenever possible because they seem to fail pretty predictably after repeated insertion/ejecting. USB adapters and front panel slots tend to work best.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch